Plateau'd help

Options
I'm 5'11 13 stone my pr's on all the compound moves shot up quickly and now I'm stuck and I can't beat any of my pr's for example my bench is at 115 clean one rep max and i have been stuck on that for a couple of months has anyone got any advice on how to overcome this as its starting to get me down and affect my motivation!

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Switch to 5/3/1 or The Texas Method for all lifts and buy/use fractional plates for OHP.
  • rfuray
    rfuray Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What ones better and are they the best free programs ?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    rfuray wrote: »

5/3/1 is the most popular on MFP and else revere but the Texas Method also has a large following. I find 5/3/1 too complicated and prefer the Texas Method myself.

Google and read about them, and then decide for yourself.

Of course, there are other "intermediate" programs that you can use to break out of a plateau. Find the "What program is best for you?" thread and scan the links posted there.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

I got to the point where I only progressed once I increased my calories.
  • rfuray
    rfuray Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    Are you eating enough?

I got to the point where I only progressed once I increased my calories.

Yeah I'm about just over 3000 calories I know my pr's won't keep ballooning up but I've just hit a wall all of a sudden!
  • tndorenez20
    tndorenez20 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try doing 5x5 sets with heavy weight that usually got my strength a lot better. Or have you tried using supplements? When I hit a plateau I started taking creatine and my strength in max shot right up and I starting building more strength and muscle pretty quickly. I also gained some weight with it
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Throw dice with who you are and your goals.

They both are both pretty bad as written but with smart adjustments TM is a easier fix than 5/3/1.

TM is really designed for young 20s powerlifters.
    The volume day can be much with high intensity and not enough bench frequency and low DL volume. Adjusting these is a good idea for most lifters.
    If your 40+ of age might want to switch out cleans for Pendlays(any row really) or variation of deads(RDL, paused, etc...).
    Dropping a set on volume day can help some people hold out longer.
    Basically TM as written will burn out much quicker unless you make adjustments or move on to another program.

5/3/1 has way way too much volume at low intensity. If you cut all the sets that is less than 80% of your 1rm to a third of original... cap AMRAPs so you can do more volume at higher intensity at never do BBB and some of the other silly variations you can do fine for a while.

Honestly there are better written programs out there. The problem most newer lifters have is they want a cookie cutter program and when you graduate to a intermediate lifter those aren't necessarily the best option. It's not that you can't get stronger with either, it's just they are sub optimal.

I curious on what program you are stalling on and how long you've ran it. Its possible you can squeeze things out of it with more information like gender, weight gain on average, goals etc...

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 13 stone my pr's on all the compound moves shot up quickly and now I'm stuck and I can't beat any of my pr's for example my bench is at 115 clean one rep max and i have been stuck on that for a couple of months has anyone got any advice on how to overcome this as its starting to get me down and affect my motivation!

I assume you've tried deloading and working your way back up?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Throw dice with who you are and your goals.

They both are both pretty bad as written but with smart adjustments TM is a easier fix than 5/3/1.

TM is really designed for young 20s powerlifters.
    The volume day can be much with high intensity and not enough bench frequency and low DL volume. Adjusting these is a good idea for most lifters.
    If your 40+ of age might want to switch out cleans for Pendlays(any row really) or variation of deads(RDL, paused, etc...).
    Dropping a set on volume day can help some people hold out longer.
    Basically TM as written will burn out much quicker unless you make adjustments or move on to another program.

5/3/1 has way way too much volume at low intensity. If you cut all the sets that is less than 80% of your 1rm to a third of original... cap AMRAPs so you can do more volume at higher intensity at never do BBB and some of the other silly variations you can do fine for a while.

Honestly there are better written programs out there. The problem most newer lifters have is they want a cookie cutter program and when you graduate to a intermediate lifter those aren't necessarily the best option. It's not that you can't get stronger with either, it's just they are sub optimal.

I curious on what program you are stalling on and how long you've ran it. Its possible you can squeeze things out of it with more information like gender, weight gain on average, goals etc...

This and does the program they are following include deloads? Also, are they cutting, bulking or maintaining weight.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I assume since you said stone, the 115 is kilos and not pounds..

As above,

What program are you on, and have you done a deload cycle?