Losing body fat - females

Female, 5'2" and 110lbs. I have my macros set at 40/20/40 and 1500 cal/day.
2 hrs workout every day 5x/week (lifting/HIIT/boxing/etc - always varies). Scale at home has me at 23% body fat - trying to get to 20% and am not succeeding! Have been on this macro/calorie set for over a month now and body fat hasn't budged. Any advice?

Replies

• Im trying to lose body fat vs overall weight. I don't want to lose muscle weight and try to keep protein high to avoid doing so. I count my calories and macros every single day and am usually at a deficit on calories. I do not have a food scale, however I usually eat things that are premeasured, with the exception of veggies.
  • loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    Is your weight going down? If it's not then maybe need to lower daily kcal intake by 250. Also keep in mind that at home body fat measuring devices function using bioelectrical impedence which is notorious for being horribly inaccurate. If possible, look into having hydrostatic weighing or bod pod done to get more accurate readings.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    I had to basically quit cardio and start lifting heavy to see changes in my body fat.
    I lift for 45 mins 3x a week. That's it, apart from getting about 12,000 steps in a day.

Measured by 7-site skin fold calipers...
    November - 19.2%
    March - 16.6%
    End of May - 15.8%

I know I could NOT be doing this without my trainer, who sets my training plan and my nutrition plan. We tweak my lifting every 6-8 weeks when I get bored, and my nutrition every 4 weeks or so.

At the moment I'm on...
    Training day 2,000 cals, 210g carbs, 69g fat, 135g protein
    Rest day 1,930 cals, 135g carbs, 86g fat, 155g protein (experimental as we try and get my abs to pop)
    I'm a bit bigger though - 5' 5.5"

Although I'm sure you can figure out a recomp plan from the internet, I'd say this is a great time to find a trainer you respect and get some professional input to get you onto something that will get you the results you want in a sensible time frame.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    This is interesting on the potential inaccuracies of declared data for foods...
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/problem-with-calorie-counting-calories-in
  • sardelsa wrote: »
    So you are trying to recomp? (maintain your weight and lower your bodyfat and build muscle) If that is the case, results can be slow. It can take anywhere months to years to see progress.

If you are trying to cut (lower your weight and reduce bodyfat and maintain muscle), I would definitely start using a food scale to be more accurate with your intake.

The 1500/day calorie is cutting amount for me because when I set my calorie intake to that I had about 3lbs I wanted to lose (that was about 2 months ago). My macros I readjusted over a month ago but I am not looking to lose any additional weight now. I'm not sure what I need to adjust, if anything.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    So you want to change your physique.

What is your lifting program?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    So you are trying to recomp? (maintain your weight and lower your bodyfat and build muscle) If that is the case, results can be slow. It can take anywhere months to years to see progress.

If you are trying to cut (lower your weight and reduce bodyfat and maintain muscle), I would definitely start using a food scale to be more accurate with your intake.

The 1500/day calorie is cutting amount for me because when I set my calorie intake to that I had about 3lbs I wanted to lose (that was about 2 months ago). My macros I readjusted over a month ago but I am not looking to lose any additional weight now. I'm not sure what I need to adjust, if anything.

Have MFP run your stats again and pick maintenance - use those calories and a progressive strength training program - but recomp will take time
  • sardelsa wrote: »

Have MFP run your stats again and pick maintenance - use those calories and a progressive strength training program - but recomp will take time

When I change it to keep my macros but maintain weight it puts me at 1840 calories a day which seems like a lot to me... I have been maintaining my weight on the 1500cal/day.
  • bbell1985
    sardelsa wrote: »

When I change it to keep my macros but maintain weight it puts me at 1840 calories a day which seems like a lot to me... I have been maintaining my weight on the 1500cal/day.

When you were maintaining on 1500 were you very diligent and using a food scale?
  • Absolutely diligent, 1000%. No food scale. Always at a 100-300 calorie deficit on MFP too. 1840 seems like way too much to me. Are there any females my size that maintain at that?
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    I think you need a kcal deficit to lower your Body Fat%, adjust your macros may be a factor, too. Try lowering carbs and increase fat with moderate protein?
  • bbell1985
    Absolutely diligent, 1000%. No food scale. Always at a 100-300 calorie deficit on MFP too. 1840 seems like way too much to me. Are there any females my size that maintain at that?

No food scale is not 1000%. Sorry.

I maintain on that but I weigh more than you. I'm also lazy AF and hate moving.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm 5 foot 2, just under 135 lbs and MFP suggests 1800 cals to lose 0.5lbs a week, and 2092 calories to maintain.

My data shows that if I stick to that, I lose at about the predicted rate.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Absolutely diligent, 1000%. No food scale. Always at a 100-300 calorie deficit on MFP too. 1840 seems like way too much to me. Are there any females my size that maintain at that?

I'm 5'3", 147, and slowly recomping on an avg of 2400 a day (carb cycling)
  • bbell1985

I'm 5'3", 147, and slowly recomping on an avg of 2400 a day (carb cycling)

Good for you. You must move more than me.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    You're already at a healthy weight. You are going to have to be spot on with your calories to see any loss. Do you use a food scale?

Am I right that if she looking at losing fat, not weight (recomp), that she might need to tweet the macros and do more lifting than cardio?