***** MEET THE FAMILY!!

THE ULTIMATE TRIUMVIRATE OF #GAINS

znfvbd4w9wg0.png

Meet the family!

**VOLUME:

The king of the triangle. Anyone professional coach worth their salt knows that without appropriate volume, progression in both strength and hypertrophy will suffer. Still doing 3 set of 10? I'm afraid it won't work.

**INTENSITY:

Volume's little brother. He's the simple one in the family that's easy to understand. Anything below 60-65% of your 1 rep max and you're just d*cking around. Junk intensity will give you junk results.

**FREQUENCY:

The baby brother of them all that is often overlooked. You could train with the most perfect structure and progression, utilizing adequate volume, but if you only train certain body parts only once a week, you're missing your opportunity to get stronger. Twice a week is optimal for your Type2 muscle fibers (legs, back etc) 3 x a week for your Type1 fibers (calves etc).

Now go forth and make some #gainz

P.S send me a message and we can talk some more. I'm new here so still learning how this forum thing works. :)

Cam

Replies

• Royaltouch1983
    Royaltouch1983 Posts: 4 Member
    Hey buddy...Does drop sets help in building muscles
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    So are you saying that training only 3 times per week is no good if it only one major muscle group once a week. So for instance chest once a week?
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    dalerst wrote: »
    So are you saying that training only 3 times per week is no good if it only one major muscle group once a week. So for instance chest once a week?

Lots of studies suggest training a muscle twice per week provides more benefits than training it once per week.
  • Heart_of_a_lion
    Heart_of_a_lion Posts: 32 Member

Yes. Drop sets = more volume = more gains
  • Heart_of_a_lion
    Heart_of_a_lion Posts: 32 Member
    So are you saying that training only 3 times per week is no good if it only one major muscle group once a weekH. So for instance chest once a week?

Yes. If you want to hit a body part only once a week you're sacrificing frequency so you'll have to increase something else.. usually volume and intensity. That way the muscle is absolutely taxed during that single session.
  • dalerst
    pbryd wrote: »

Lots of studies suggest training a muscle twice per week provides more benefits than training it once per week.

How does that work on the SL programme then? It's only a 3 day programme with BP and OHP every other meaning you only do one of them once a week.
  • dalerst

Yes. Drop sets = more volume = more gains

So much more to be gained doing 3 sets with more weight? Than the SL programme which is 5x5.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    How does that work on the SL programme then? It's only a 3 day programme with BP and OHP every other meaning you only do one of them once a week.

SL is a program designed with beginners in mind, and because it's for beginners, basically anything works to get those newbie gains going.

Plus there is a lot of carry over between the OHP and BP.

• dalerst
    pbryd wrote: »

SL is a program designed with beginners in mind, and because it's for beginners, basically anything works to get those newbie gains going.

Plus there is a lot of carry over between the OHP and BP.

Ok thanks for the advice. I've been lifting for around 6 months but not following a programme until now so I will stick with it for a month or so and see how I get on. The squat seem to be working as I'd only done body weighted before. Certainly makes a difference with 110lb on your back.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Good thread, there's a sweet spot for the number of sets per body part at around 60-75% 1RM. Magically, this is a really efficient way to get high volumes. Vary your rep count, frequency, or weight over the weeks to slowly increase volume until you deload/reload.