Correct Form when lifting

Replies

• DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    I did 4 sets of 225lb Deadlifts for 8reps @ with 60 seconds rest between sets yesterday. After being involved in this thread I was very mindful of my form and I feel it was good. 225lbs is normally a light deadlift for me but I was focused on form and I'm very glycogen depleted right now... needless to say my glutes and hams are sore today
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    When trying to work on form, I highly recommend filming it on your phone, from side especially. Sometimes looking in a mirror will actually change your form.
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Thanks for all the input on this it's much needed. Just done my dead lift session with 120lb felt quite light but I think the form is improving, just need to remember where to look and not straight forward.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    dalerst wrote: »
    Yeah ya know..lifting belt, weight belt, back brace..whatever ya wanna call it

I know mate but why not wear one? People say it help your core.

I think its a personal thing! I wear a belt and gloves when lifting. The belt gives you a solid foundation to push your core into when you fill your lungs with that big gulp of air before you start your lift.

With the form as Gallowmere said.... just dont round your back!

I think the main thing is you learn correct form before ever putting on a belt, if that's what you choose. Right?

I lift beltless and will continue to do so until I feel like the belt would be advantageous.

I agree someone should know how to lift without a belt and often, but if your goal is to be stronger than using a belt correctly would be advantageous.

The heavier you lift, the stronger one can become through muscle stimulas and adaptation.

A belt used correctly while squatting/deadlifting in most cases will allow someone to lift heavier, therefore become stronger more efficiently.

Personally I don't strap a belt on until I'm in the ballpark of 90% of my 1RM, but using the belt even sparingly helps me become a stronger person even when I beltless because of the weight I'm working with when locked.

• blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    and really exaggerate the forward thrust of the hips on the way up.

Thrust forward is an interesting use of terminology......... i just concentrate on squeezing my glutes to bring the spine to a neutral position thats it!
    As you wouldnt ever want to put excess pressure on the lower spine by hyper extending.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

There may come a time when you should wear a belt.

Learning form is not that time.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Luna3386 wrote: »

I think its a personal thing! I wear a belt and gloves when lifting. The belt gives you a solid foundation to push your core into when you fill your lungs with that big gulp of air before you start your lift.

With the form as Gallowmere said.... just dont round your back!

I think the main thing is you learn correct form before ever putting on a belt, if that's what you choose. Right?

I lift beltless and will continue to do so until I feel like the belt would be advantageous.

I agree someone should know how to lift without a belt and often, but if your goal is to be stronger than using a belt correctly would be advantageous.

The heavier you lift, the stronger one can become through muscle stimulas and adaptation.

A belt used correctly while squatting/deadlifting in most cases will allow someone to lift heavier, therefore become stronger more efficiently.

Personally I don't strap a belt on until I'm in the ballpark of 90% of my 1RM, but using the belt even sparingly helps me become a stronger person even when I beltless because of the weight I'm working with when locked.

To add to this, it's also a good idea for one to use a belt regularly, if they do plan on using it. In the few times that I threw one on, it made stuff feel all kinds of wonky, because I wasn't used to it being there. I still currently train beltless, but only because I don't own one. Once I order my kit for my meet in December, you can be your *kitten* that I'll be doing my heaviest sets in a singlet, belted, and with wrist wraps.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I had been focusing on fine tuning my squat form so much that I kinda neglected improving deadlift. I re-watched the video I posted, did a little of visualization and a little low weight practice over the weekend. This morning I killed it!
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    edited June 2017
    Honestly another pair of eyes is priceless. If you don't have a trainer around to check your form, video yourself and get some second opinions from reputable sources :) I find it helpful to actually have someone watching me while I lift, though, as my form can slip without me noticing. I work out at a gym that has trainers, kinesiologists etc on the floor watching and helping ppl at all times. Best thing everrrrrrr. I didn't even realize how *kitten* my form could get at times. My lifts have improved drastically, in form and weight.
  • dalerst
    Honestly another pair of eyes is priceless. If you don't have a trainer around to check your form, video yourself and get some second opinions from reputable sources :) I find it helpful to actually have someone watching me while I lift, though, as my form can slip without me noticing. I work out at a gym that has trainers, kinesiologists etc on the floor watching and helping ppl at all times. Best thing everrrrrrr. I didn't even realize how *kitten* my form could get at times. My lifts have improved drastically, in form and weight.

I work out on my own in the garage so it's difficult to get someone's opinions on my lifts I have filmed myself tonight and can see I need to do some work on them.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    and really exaggerate the forward thrust of the hips on the way up.

Thrust forward is an interesting use of terminology......... i just concentrate on squeezing my glutes to bring the spine to a neutral position thats it!
    As you wouldnt ever want to put excess pressure on the lower spine by hyper extending.

No, no. Not thrusting where I'd get a curve in my back. I know better. Perhaps "thrust" was too... Errr... "thrusty". I press my pelvis forward a bit to basically check myself that I've "reset" into a neutral position.
  • CoachFrenchie
    CoachFrenchie Posts: 135 Member
    I only wear a belt at 80% rep and above. Coach always says eyes down : squat, up for deads and cleans. For snatches? Straight forward. So many schools of thinking...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    spartan546 wrote: »
    I only wear a belt at 80% rep and above. Coach always says eyes down : squat, up for deads and cleans. For snatches? Straight forward. So many schools of thinking...

I think it depends on what you mean by up or down.... at the end of the day....

Eyes down for squats puts them towards the horizon....Because the tendency is to look at the ceiling

Eyes up for deads... puts them towards the horizon... Because the tendency is to look at your toes...

HMMM
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    spartan546 wrote: »

I think it depends on what you mean by up or down.... at the end of the day....

Eyes down for squats puts them towards the horizon....Because the tendency is to look at the ceiling

Eyes up for deads... puts them towards the horizon... Because the tendency is to look at your toes...

HMMM

Unless you are trained under Starting Strength & practice hip drive. Eyes down are literally a few feet in front of your toes.

• dalerst
    Ok so I have noticed that my form is starting to drop now the weigh is increasing, what the best way to deal with the weigh whilst I try to correct my form on my squats and deadlift? if I drop the weight slightly but increase to say 7-8 rep instead of the 5 would that have the same affect?

currently I'm on 62kg on squats, and 70kg on deadlift so was thinking of dropping say 10kg on each for a week or so?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Ok so I have noticed that my form is starting to drop now the weigh is increasing, what the best way to deal with the weigh whilst I try to correct my form on my squats and deadlift? if I drop the weight slightly but increase to say 7-8 rep instead of the 5 would that have the same affect?

currently I'm on 62kg on squats, and 70kg on deadlift so was thinking of dropping say 10kg on each for a week or so?

is your form suffering horribly or is it just off a tad ....?

It is pretty hard to have perfect form with each lift as you increase weight..

if you are off a little then I would say keep the weight the same...if your back is rounding horribly or your form is off so bad that it is noticeable/causing pain, then yes back off...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    You should post a video - preferably over to the Eat, Train, Progress group (to avoid certain individuals on the main boards that have no idea what they're talking about) - to get feedback. It might be that you're doing something wrong, it might just be a weak point that needs work, or something else. You really should, IMO, figure out why your form is breaking down and fix it.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    If your form is off while repping
    Try a full reset in between every rep.
    It's been previously said, you can spend
    Your entire lifting life tweeting and perfecting your form, focus on every lift and don't get complacent
  • dalerst
    ndj1979 wrote: »

is your form suffering horribly or is it just off a tad ....?

It is pretty hard to have perfect form with each lift as you increase weight..

if you are off a little then I would say keep the weight the same...if your back is rounding horribly or your form is off so bad that it is noticeable/causing pain, then yes back off...

On monday's session one of the last reps in the squats did twig by back slightly, I new as soon as i started the rep it was going wrong, ended up on my toes at the bottom of the squat.
  • dalerst
    TR0berts wrote: »
    You should post a video - preferably over to the Eat, Train, Progress group (to avoid certain individuals on the main boards that have no idea what they're talking about) - to get feedback. It might be that you're doing something wrong, it might just be a weak point that needs work, or something else. You really should, IMO, figure out why your form is breaking down and fix it.

I will get a video posted in the group on my next session.