Correct Form when lifting

Replies

• BuccaneersFan
    BuccaneersFan Posts: 36 Member
    I recommend watching youtube videos from AthleneX, the guy is a RIPPED body builder and a physical therapist, he explains exactly how you should lift to keep from screwing up your body long term. There are small variations in a movement that you won't notice right away (ie. pain etc.), but that can really screw up your joints in the long term!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    dalerst wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Ok so I have noticed that my form is starting to drop now the weigh is increasing, what the best way to deal with the weigh whilst I try to correct my form on my squats and deadlift? if I drop the weight slightly but increase to say 7-8 rep instead of the 5 would that have the same affect?

currently I'm on 62kg on squats, and 70kg on deadlift so was thinking of dropping say 10kg on each for a week or so?

is your form suffering horribly or is it just off a tad ....?

It is pretty hard to have perfect form with each lift as you increase weight..

if you are off a little then I would say keep the weight the same...if your back is rounding horribly or your form is off so bad that it is noticeable/causing pain, then yes back off...

On monday's session one of the last reps in the squats did twig by back slightly, I new as soon as i started the rep it was going wrong, ended up on my toes at the bottom of the squat.

Have a plan to fail..

And when it goes bad... Use the plan.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Ok so I have noticed that my form is starting to drop now the weigh is increasing, what the best way to deal with the weigh whilst I try to correct my form on my squats and deadlift? if I drop the weight slightly but increase to say 7-8 rep instead of the 5 would that have the same affect?

currently I'm on 62kg on squats, and 70kg on deadlift so was thinking of dropping say 10kg on each for a week or so?
    You've got it.

The best way to correct your form on any exercise is to reduce the weight, or alternatively the rest period helps too. "But wait" you say, "won't decreasing the weight mean I'll be losing gains?" No, not necessarily. Anything over about %60 of your 1RM will get you gains and most importantly, lifting through a range of reps, with a range of weights, is an excellent way to progress. So long as you're lifting %60 1RM+ and coming to within 4 reps of failure with good form. What this means is that weekly (or some other duration) volume is the key. There is an optimal range that you need to find for yourself that consists of some number of reps per week at least %60 of 1RM. Its somewhere between 60-120 reps per week for large muscle groups and 30-60 reps per week for small muscle groups.

This means it's totally cool, and won't decrease your gains, to drop the weight and up the reps to correspond to the weight so that you're within 4 reps to failure with good form. Failure is when you're sure the next rep will have bad form.

• dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member

if you are off a little then I would say keep the weight the same...if your back is rounding horribly or your form is off so bad that it is noticeable/causing pain, then yes back off...

On monday's session one of the last reps in the squats did twig by back slightly, I new as soon as i started the rep it was going wrong, ended up on my toes at the bottom of the squat.

Have a plan to fail..

The difficulty with that is knowing when it's going wrong! The rep before was good and I didn't feel as though the next rep was going to be a fail. The weight was more than achievable but something just went wrong on the way down if that make sense.
  • stanmann571

Have a plan to fail..

The difficulty with that is knowing when it's going wrong! The rep before was good and I didn't feel as though the next rep was going to be a fail. The weight was more than achievable but something just went wrong on the way down if that make sense.

But you said you knew before you got to the bottom it was a bad rep...

Better to dump out than to tweak your back
  • dalerst

Have a plan to fail..

But you said you knew before you got to the bottom it was a bad rep...

Better to dump out than to tweak your back

Fair enough. Need to look at how I would do that, I only have squat stands so go no place to dump if I need to!!
  • dalerst
    quick video of my squat, open to help and advice on the form please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEb8n9c0948
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    edited July 2017

Knees are too far forward of your toes which is shifting your weight to your toes instead of your heels and your locking out your knees at the top..don't do that.

• dalerst

Knees are too far forward of your toes which is shifting your weight to your toes instead of your heals and your locking out your knees at the top..don't do that.

I did think that for my knees, how would I correct it? is it the stance I start with, are my feet to far apart?
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    edited July 2017
    I did think that for my knees, how would I correct it? is it the stance I start with, are my feet to far apart?

No, it's not about the width of your stance, focus on getting your butt back farther and then drive upward through your heels.

• stanmann571
    Try dropping the weight... and the shoes..

And yes.. work on sitting back, not down.

Also, try to lock in(not quite the right phrase) your pause at the bottom... You're getting low enough, but You're resetting or pausing on the way back up instead of at the bottom, It's most noticeable on your first rep where there's almost a hitch or a bobble as you come back up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Try squatting in socks or get some flatter shoes like chuck taylors or power lifters...
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Stance looks good. One key thing I learned along time ago is to concentrate on opening up the hips. It allows greater depth and leeps the weight on your heals.

If you were to sit squat down for a poop would you close up your hips?

As stated dont lock out your knees. Keep the tension on the muscle.
  • dalerst
    edited July 2017
    Try dropping the weight... and the shoes..

And yes.. work on sitting back, not down.

Also, try to lock in(not quite the right phrase) your pause at the bottom... You're getting low enough, but You're resetting or pausing on the way back up instead of at the bottom, It's most noticeable on your first rep where there's almost a hitch or a bobble as you come back up.

Ok will give it a shot tomorrow, I'm going to drop the weight until I can get it sorted, sitting back feels like I'm leaning forward a lot more with my upper body. I will loses the trainers and try it bear footed.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Also footware is not ideal. But atleast you dont have like an air soled shoe.
    But you idealy want flatter soled shoes. Wrestling shoes are good. Or bare feet if you feel comfortable.
  • dejberry
    dejberry Posts: 9 Member
    My opinion-don't use a belt unless you are getting into the area of heavy lifts, same with wrist and/or knee straps. I believe a belt keeps you from building support/stabilizing muscles that are necessary to make the larger lifts.
  • stanmann571
    dejberry wrote: »
    My opinion-don't use a belt unless you are getting into the area of heavy lifts, same with wrist and/or knee straps. I believe a belt keeps you from building support/stabilizing muscles that are necessary to make the larger lifts.

I tend to agree that you should learn without a belt before you learn to use a belt.
  • dalerst
    But you idealy want flatter soled shoes. Wrestling shoes are good. Or bare feet if you feel comfortable.

I'm going to try bear foot tomorrow see how I get on if I dont like it I will look at getting some crossfit shoes or something like that.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member

I'm going to try bear foot tomorrow see how I get on if I dont like it I will look at getting some crossfit shoes or something like that.

Drop the weight and the belt. Stretch the ish out of your calves and your hip flexors between warm up sets. Like others have said, think about your butt coming back first and driving your knees out on the way up (should help feel your glutes on the way up).