Will at home work outs benefit?

Options
I'm had surgery in April, and I'm clear to start working out. I am underweight and looking to add muscle and even some fat. Would at home work outs with just body weight work? I had a personal trainer a couple of years ago who said I had to lift heavy otherwise it would just be "toning."

I am out of work (hopefully for not much longer), and can't afford a gym membership.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely. Google for "body weight workout".
  • daydreamer0814
    daydreamer0814 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I've looked some up, but I was feeling discouraged since remembering what he said. I probably misunderstood him. Looking forward to getting back to a gym eventually.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Your in a good place..you won't have to do (or be able to do) 100's of push-ups or squats at a time to get any benefit from bodyweight exercises like I have to do ; )
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Your in a good place..you won't have to do (or be able to do) 100's of push-ups or squats at a time to get any benefit from bodyweight exercises like I have to do ; )

So strong
  • Jamalfallag
    Jamalfallag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Of course they will work, just go for it and experiment with different exercises.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For sure! I would recommend these exercises as a starting point, as you used to have a trainer I trust you understand sets and reps! To avoid burning too many calories I would split up the exercises like so:

Lower Body:
    Bodyweight Squat into leg abduction (squat, raise one leg to one side, squat, raise other leg to other side and repeat)
    Lateral Lunges (lunging to one side)
    Glute bridges (like a hip thrust but your upper back is not elevated)
    Bird dog (this one you may need to google)
    Choose your reps according to your fitness level but the order I've placed the exercises is important. I would recommend doing this circuit 3-4 times:

Upper Body/Core:
    Knee push ups, keep hands beside your chest.
    Shoulder circles (small circles, google if needed)
    Planks and plank variations
    Superman back extensions (you may need to google)
    Lying leg raises
    Same as I said above and I would recommend 3-4 rounds of this circuit.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    There are some bodyweight @ home specific work out plans.
    • Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym or body By You books (I think there is also a You Are Your Own Gym app?) are both good.
    • There is also Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade which I hear good stuff about.
    • You can check out Al Kavadro on You Tube who has lots of information to help you with specific exercises and programming.
    • Finally, there are some free strength work outs on the Fitness Blender web site.
  • mzlikklebit
    mzlikklebit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing also because I have a baby. This is all great Infos! Thanks!

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I like You Are Your Own Gym. (I also have Body By You but haven't read much of it yet.) I use the DVD's. I'm only at the Novice level so far but it's very doable, effective and doesn't take much time!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    if you're interested in You Are Your Own Gym or Body By You check the example pages on this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10528464/you-are-your-own-gym-versus-body-by-you#latest

• cogirljb
    cogirljb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah they'll work, pushups are an amazing workout alone!!!
  • Joe_58
    Joe_58 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING! There are many things you can do at home to achieve gains. Dont fall into the trap that you need the latest gadget, or piece of equipment, or belong to a gym to get to where you want to be. Those are all nice, but some of us cannot afford it. You dont need it. What you need right now is knowledge. Seek and find. And then get started. We tend to use what we dont have as an excuse not to do anything. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Yes you can exercise at home - you need to start light & easy at first anyway - no heavy weight for you for a while. I'm in the same boat - just Had a recent abdominal surgery & lost size & strength. you can do body weight exercises, get outside & walk
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hello. I started with a bodyweight programme and in fact I've had to go back to it due to injuries. I used the nerd fitness one? And yes I made good progress on it. At least in terms of strength - as a 62 year old female, I'm never going to win body building competitions!