Meat and Dairy

Options
Has anyone had success with going vegan or vegetarian? Watched Forks over Knifes on Netflix and was really impressed by the findings of eating meat and dairy including oil. I'm going to try this for 30 days. I will come back here to log my results. I'm very Morbidly obese and have many health problems including Fibromyalgia.
Noted that many people are getting great health and weight loss success.
Here I go....

Replies

• jennpinklady
    jennpinklady Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've tries Atkins; weight watchers; grapefruit; cabbage soup; low cal; low fat; one meal a day; mean green juicing; protein shake; Richard simmons ect...
    I usually lose weight....initially...then the craving start again. Usually hungry at night. I usually crave protein and dairy products. I make everything my self homemade. I don't use process foods. I use very little salt. And I joined a gym just recently. I think I have a metabolism issue. I'm 48. I have lost 5 lbs in two weeks. I made my own protein bars wit h healthy hemp and seeds with oatmeal and sugar free peanut butter.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    As many before me have said, a calorie is a calorie. I'm having luck not bothering to change what I'm eating but simply watching my quantities and caloric intake. So yes, I have McDonalds french fries, chicken, burgers, milk and cheese quite often. Right now I'm enjoying a bagel, egg and cheese sandwich (with slices of turkey breast - the ham wasn't open, and I didn't feel like taking that extra step lol).

A calorie is a calorie. Be honest with your logging. For me, that honesty came when I bought a food scale and discovered that my measurements prior to weighing were grossly off. I wish you luck with however you wish to proceed.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success with going vegan or vegetarian? Watched Forks over Knifes on Netflix and was really impressed by the findings of eating meat and dairy including oil. I'm going to try this for 30 days. I will come back here to log my results. I'm very Morbidly obese and have many health problems including Fibromyalgia.
    Noted that many people are getting great health and weight loss success.
    Here I go....

I watched this video and I am a fan of nutritionfacts.org which supports the same guidelines.

No I didn't eliminate meat, but I reduced it (ok maybe not the *bacon*). I cook my hamburgers with veggie patties. I replaced the delicatessen ham and cheese in my sandwiches, with hummus & tofu (don't try it without mustard!). I replaced dairy with almonds milk. I increased eggs, for proteins.

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Start logging here and you will see results. Set your calories / day at 2,500 and see how you do (for a morbidly obese person this might be ok). Flour products are the worst for me. Tell your doctor about your cravings and have him/her check your iron and thyroid. When a craving hits drink 16 ounces of water and see if that helps.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Remember too, that sugar-free doesn't necessarily mean low-calorie. That sugar-free peanut butter you are eating, is only 10 cal per 2Tbs serving lower than peanut butter with sugar in it. Seeds are also pretty calorie dense. A nice serving of a lean protein like grilled chicken, or even a nice lean piece of grilled steak is probably more satisfying and less calorie laden than those homemade protein bars. Be sure that you get on the recipe section of the food log, and put in all of the ingredients for your protein bars and the number of servings that the recipe makes. That will tell you how many calories you are actually getting in those protein bars. Proteins sounds great but a lot of the ingredients are fairly high calorie.