Protein.

mllr1328
mllr1328 Posts: 55 Member
Lately I've been craving protein. It's kind of weird, but I feel like I could eat 10 chickens. I feel kind of weak and sick though. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get more protein throughout the day?

Replies

• jjdevine77
    jjdevine77 Posts: 10 Member
    Dannon Light & Fit Greek Vanilla Yogurt (80 calories)
    Mix in a spoon of PB2 powered (20 calories)

Salmon (or trout or cod) on George Foreman grill (8 oz about 450 calories, 40+ grams protein)

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Protein rich foods are
    Meat and fish, eggs and seafood
    Dairy
    Nut and seeds
    Beans and pulses
    Grains like wheat, certain vegetables

Eat food you like. Having a varied diet and balancing your intake is almost always a smart strategy.

Get a checkup if you don't feel allright.
  • mybigfat
    mybigfat Posts: 162 Member
    Are you anemic?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Dieters who restrict carbohydrates and fats force the body to burn protein instead. Could this be it? Anemia and pregnancy could also cause this craving.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    How much weight do you need to lose to get into a healthy BMI number?

Under eating causes problems like you describe. What is your calorie goal?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Protein powder/bars.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    You might check with your doctor and get a blood test. Could be anemia, thyroid, if you are the girl in the picture-pregnancy.
  • mllr1328
    edited June 2017
    kavahni wrote: »
    You might check with your doctor and get a blood test. Could be anemia, thyroid, if you are the girl in the picture-pregnancy.

I haven't been formally diagnosed with anemia but was told I had low iron during my first pregnancy and I take iron occasionally when I'm feeling sluggish and it tends to help. I've noticed I usually only feel this way on mornings I don't have eggs for breakfast. Definitely not pregnancy, or better not be anyways lol. I have a 4 month old and a 2 year old.
  • mllr1328
    How much weight do you need to lose to get into a healthy BMI number?

Under eating causes problems like you describe. What is your calorie goal?

25 more lbs to reach healthy BMI. I've lost 10 the past month. My calorie goal is 1,500.
  • mllr1328
    Dieters who restrict carbohydrates and fats force the body to burn protein instead. Could this be it? Anemia and pregnancy could also cause this craving.

Doubtful it is in my case. I don't restrict either and eat a good amount of both every meal. 99% sure it's not pregnancy. Based off of everyone's responses it may be anemia.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Eat protein at every meal.
  • mllr1328
    edited June 2017
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    Eat protein at every meal.

I'm mainly having issues figuring out how to incorporate more. I typically have eggs for breakfast, turkey either on a sandwich, lettuce wrap, or on a salad for lunch, and dinner is typically chicken. I've tried smoothies and protein bars but they always leave me unsatisfied as far as hunger goes and feel like a waste of calories.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Try adding an ounce of protein to each of your meals. Here are some good high protein snacks that I eat on a regular basis:
    -2% Greek yogurt 6oz with 1/2 cup of blueberries
    - string cheese
    - A tuna packet
    - Enlighten Roasted broad beans
    - Roasted chickpeas
  • mllr1328
    Try adding an ounce of protein to each of your meals. Here are some good high protein snacks that I eat on a regular basis:
    -2% Greek yogurt 6oz with 1/2 cup of blueberries
    - string cheese
    - A tuna packet
    - Enlighten Roasted broad beans
    - Roasted chickpeas

Thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Please could you clarify-
    You have a 4 month old and are eating 1500 cals.
    Does this mean you are not breast feeding?

Cheers, h.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Premier protein shakes I like the vanilla and strawberry. They are 160calories, 30g protein, and 1g sugar.