Plant based diet

Has anyone switched to a plant based diet and found switch ok. I've heard so many positive reports

Replies

• Secondhalf35
    Secondhalf35 Posts: 113 Member
    Thank you very much
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I also switched to a (almost) vegan diet in March -- sadly, I've not dropped that much weight. The only exception I make is eating fish or shrimp once a week (a bit of a compromise with my carnivore spouse).

I find it simple and I feel great. Try vegetarian first if you need some time to adjust. Tempeh and black bean burgers are my favs so far. Oh, and invest in some Gas X for the first few weeks. :#
  • Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years - lost 100 pounds, lowered my cholesterol by 70 points with no meds, never felt deprived! I still drool at the smell of good barbeque, but there are so many delicious vegetarian/vegan options and recipes available I have no trouble resisting the temptation. I truly believe it's a better way of life for myself and for the planet.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    How is vegan not plant based when all you eat is plants and things that are made with plants?

I am mostly vegetarian (I eat a small amount of fish, mostly in the form of the occasional sushi), and I am mostly plant based when not eating the above mentioned sushi (I haven't kicked the cheese habit, though it is greatly reduced). My eating habits can be fabulous or very frat boy like, so it can depend, but when I'm eating well, I reap many benefits- better skin (I have very very dry skin, but more plants help), fewer headaches, better sleep, more energy, less issues with my stomach. I also drop a few pounds pretty much automatically after a week or two.
  • Cecily55
    Cecily55 Posts: 15 Member
    How is vegan not plant based when all you eat is plants and things that are made with plants?

I am mostly vegetarian (I eat a small amount of fish, mostly in the form of the occasional sushi), and I am mostly plant based when not eating the above mentioned sushi (I haven't kicked the cheese habit, though it is greatly reduced). My eating habits can be fabulous or very frat boy like, so it can depend, but when I'm eating well, I reap many benefits- better skin (I have very very dry skin, but more plants help), fewer headaches, better sleep, more energy, less issues with my stomach. I also drop a few pounds pretty much automatically after a week or two.

I agree absolutely. My dietary choices were made by necessity, but the benefits you list are right on. I've also noticed that my joints and tendons aren't as "achy" anymore.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Cecily55 wrote: »

I agree absolutely. My dietary choices were made by necessity, but the benefits you list are right on. I've also noticed that my joints and tendons aren't as "achy" anymore.

Yep! I forgot that one! When I eat right, my old injuries and general wear and tear bother me less and I recover much, much faster!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Plum5027 wrote: »
    Vegan does not equal plant based diet

Vegan is plant based. Plant based is not always vegan.

This.

Although some (Happy Herbivore, I think, is one) seem to use "plant based" as short hand for "whole food plant based" and vegan means "no animal products for ethical reasons" and could include, say, Oreos.

I assumed the person meant you could be plant based without being vegan, which is true, especially as many people don't use plant based to mean only 100% plant based.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Hard to do for long term. This means no doritos - ever.

That's where you're wrong! Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos AND the new BBQ Heat Wave Doritos are vegan ;)

I switched to a vegan diet in March of this year and I've gone from 160 to 130 lbs. My skin has become perfectly clear, I have more energy, and overall I'm generally happier and healthier. Best life style change I've ever made!

This is awesome -- I had no idea they'd added another vegan one! :)
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Plum5027 wrote: »
    Vegan does not equal plant based diet

I have noticed that too.. Vegan is not necessarily "whole food plant based". Vegeterian recipes can be loaded with stuff that I dont eat. like pie. or Doritos. or cake.
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    I suppose it depends on whether you mean a vegan/plant based diet or a whole food plant based (WFPB) diet. I am vegan but getting closer to WFPB. I've been vegan for years and had no difference in how I felt, but when I eat exclusively WFPB for a few days I do.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Plant based doesn't mean vegan. Doesn't even mean vegetarian. It just means the majority of your diet is plant based. I eat meat, fish etc and still consider my diet to fall under plant based because the vast majority of my foods are plants, or things that come from plants.