Post vacation eating disorder

Just got back from one week all inclusive vacation and gained 2.5% of my body weight. I know if I am back to eating at a deficit, I will lose again. My problem is I have strong cravings for high calories foods since I am back, and the healthy meals I enjoyed before suddenly don't seem that appealing anymore. What motivates you to recommit yourself to MFP life style (counting calories, CICO...) after falling off the wagon during vacation?

Replies

• CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    I did that in April. It is harder to stay back on track. Since then I have found myself giving myself permission to eat what a want for a day or two, and most recently on a 4 night trip to a national park. Overall, I am 3-5 pounds heavier than I was before that trip to the all inclusive. I have committed to logging while I am in town this summer. It is just hard for me to do this when I am away from home or on vacation. Luckily, I was at my goal weight in March, so a few pounds do not feel like a big deal after losing 55 pounds. I am just continuing to weigh myself and I have the number in mind that I don't want to go over. If I go over it, I will cut back further on here. Right now I am eating at a deficit, but not really losing. I had the same experience of craving foods that I had not craved in a while. I think it's all the sugar. I don't care what anyone says, I think it has a somewhat addictive quality to it. I know the more I eat, the more I want. I found when I was following my deficit carefully, I could have a small amount of treats (sugar), but with the small amount I didn't crave more. When I went back to eating desserts without limitation, even for just 7 days, I craved it much more.
  • When I step on the scale after vacation and it's gone up. That usually snaps me right out of it.

I'm going on vacation soon so fingers crossed I don't gain too much. :s
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Just get right back on the wagon. The holiday from restricting has likely done you some good.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    It's like my job. It was fun not doing it while I was on vacation, but now I'm back in the real world and if I don't do it, I won't get what I want (which, for my job is a roof over my head, food and toys and for my diet is the body I want and the health that comes with it).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Why do you think that is an eating disorder?

I think it was meant facetiously.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    The number on the scale would do the job for me.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    I'm the same, getting back into it after a break is hard and I've had a few slip ups, just keep on going and you'll get back into the groove, also remember to log when you go over and try prelogging. Reduce your deficit if needs be if it's too restrictive. Good luck x
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Some great advice already has been given. You've had your holiday and now its time to get back to normal routine - call if damage limitation if you will :smiley:
    Perhaps you were depriving yourself too much before the holiday, so its time to look at your diet as being long term. If you don't take things in hand you will keep gaining! I'm sure you don't want that either. So this is your wake up call. Yeah, I'm all about tough love LOL
  • michumetamorphosis
    michumetamorphosis Posts: 10 Member
    I had a similar scenario, and basically telling myself: If you are tired of starting over, stop quitting.
  • julie20170512
    julie20170512 Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks for all the comments and tough love :D Weight loss is a journey with many ups and downs, it's great to have so many supports and helps along the road.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    If you weigh 200 lbs that's only an increase of 5 lbs, most of which is water weight. I think you need to relax and not regret the food choices you made on your vacation. Vacations are about relaxing and enjoying things without worry, am I right?!