Done with FitBit--alternatives?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Garmin Vivoactive HR is a lot of watch for the $. It will do all you're looking for and is in your price range.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I like my FitBit, but it's just the cheepy Zip. I had a Flex, but my work environment isn't great for a wrist worn tracker. I'm not concerned with HR functionality. I find this one works well, does what I want, and seems to be fairly accurate (under a bit each day by about 200, but knowing that, I can easily compensate).
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Hmmm. I'm on my second Fitbit within a year. The strap sepArated from the unit. Completely ripped away. It was replaced no problem but wonder how long it'll last before it breaks again. I love the functions on the Fitbit but when this one dies, I'm going for new Polar running watch.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Hmmm. I'm on my second Fitbit within a year. The strap sepArated from the unit. Completely ripped away. It was replaced no problem but wonder how long it'll last before it breaks again. I love the functions on the Fitbit but when this one dies, I'm going for new Polar running watch.

Same happened to me. First it stopped swiping. Then half of the band broke off and THEN the remainder of the band popped off. OF COURSE it was no longer under warranty
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    gerla_k wrote: »
    Now I'm curious, I see lots of people complaining about their Fitbit dying. Mine is relatively new( 2 months). Should I return and get another one ( Garmin) I still have 2 weeks left for my refund policy.

Which Fitbit do you have?

I have charge 2. After reading all of this I really think I should return it while I can
  • gerla_k
    Nussbary wrote: »
    SarzJWix wrote: »
    Love my Garmin Vivofit. The battery has lasted for nearly 2 years now, no problems. It does sync with MFP as well, and WW app. And it's way cheaper than Fitbit...

Garmin is the best option out there. You can simply wear it, and there are several design options. But it also syncs with MFP for calorie tracking, has great report read outs, and outdoor GPS is excellent with your runs and other activities. I have an older 310XT and a vivosmart HR I wear every day. If you are hardcore working out, get one that is NOT touch screen as sweat will prevent you from changing screens during your activity.

Does Garmin have multi sport options to check calories burned during exercises or it is for walking/ running only? Thanks
  • krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    I had problems with my Fitbit HR too. I now have the Fitbit BLAZE and I LUV it! It does everything you mentioned and more. The notification feature is my favorite. If you decide to get, we can be Fitbit buds and I will keep you busy. GOOD LUCK on your fitness tracker!!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I've, no lie, still got a first generation vivofit. It's lasted for 4 years and still gets the job done. I bought my hubs a garmin vivosmart HR+ and he loves it. Got if for him for Christmas. Sadly, I think he uses it more to see his email and stuff then for actual exercise. Good intentions....
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Love my Garmin Vivofit. The battery has lasted for nearly 2 years now, no problems. It does sync with MFP as well, and WW app. And it's way cheaper than Fitbit...

Garmin is the best option out there. You can simply wear it, and there are several design options. But it also syncs with MFP for calorie tracking, has great report read outs, and outdoor GPS is excellent with your runs and other activities. I have an older 310XT and a vivosmart HR I wear every day. If you are hardcore working out, get one that is NOT touch screen as sweat will prevent you from changing screens during your activity.

Does Garmin have multi sport options to check calories burned during exercises or it is for walking/ running only? Thanks

Depends on the model but most at a minimum can be paired with a chest strap. The Vivoactive you can download apps for other sports and comes with indoor/outdoor bike, walk and swim.
  • Nussbary
    Nussbary Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2017

Yes it does have multi sport! There are several options of watches with more/less features. If you want to calculate calorie expense, make sure you have HR or get an HR strap that will sync. Honestly I found that amazon has the best table to compare the vivo models. My vivosmart HR is built for swimming as well, so it counts my laps. If you are a serious multi-sport enthusiast, look at the 'XT' or 'Fenix' line. And yes, with the vivosmart I can also read email, texts, and control music.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

How would you like to deal with the transitions between sports...?
  • gerla_k

Depends on the model but most at a minimum can be paired with a chest strap. The Vivoactive you can download apps for other sports and comes with indoor/outdoor bike, walk and swim.

Thanks, I'm mostly going to use it for cardio ( Insanity ) and runs. I was looking for Garmin vivoactive hr+.
  • gerla_k

Yes it does have multi sport! There are several options of watches with more/less features. If you want to calculate calorie expense, make sure you have HR or get an HR strap that will sync. Honestly I found that amazon has the best table to compare the vivo models. My vivosmart HR is built for swimming as well, so it counts my laps. If you are a serious multi-sport enthusiast, look at the 'XT' or 'Fenix' line. And yes, with the vivosmart I can also read email, texts, and control music.

Thanks for you reply! :) I like Fenix but it is too expensive for me.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    I got a Forerunner 235, refurbished from Garmin on Amazon for $206. Love it.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Same here...so done with Fitbit. I've had zero luck with the ones I've owned. For the money, they should work better than they do. I'm investing in a Garmin next!
  • WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    Now I'm curious, I see lots of people complaining about their Fitbit dying. Mine is relatively new( 2 months). Should I return and get another one ( Garmin) I still have 2 weeks left for my refund policy.

Which Fitbit do you have?

I have charge 2. After reading all of this I really think I should return it while I can

FitBit has a great app and community compared to all the others, but yeah people do go through a lot of devices. But guess what? Doesn't matter; theyre dirt cheap on sale and customer service is one of the best out there. I've had 2 replacements in 6 years, longgg after my warranty and they replaced it no questions asked. Heck, me and my friends even told them we had a Fitbit Blaze that stopped working after a month and they replaced it without a receipt or without making us ship ours to them. By the way, we never actually owned a FitBit Blaze; we were just poor, selfish jerks looking for free stuff, and it worked. YOLO!
  • wimdroid
    wimdroid Posts: 56 Member
    Wow... Was going to look for a fitbit.
    Happy to have seen this thread
  • RhiAndy11
    RhiAndy11 Posts: 72 Member
    i have the garmin vivosmart hr+ and i would totally recommend it. the outdoor gps is so quick and good. tracks my walks and runs really well. uses hr to calculate calories burnt which i love and syncs really well with mfp :-)
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    +1 for Garmin VivoSmart HR+

Love mine, use it mostly for running, seems to be accurate in calorie burn & as stated, syncs well with MFP.
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    I was using Garmin devices but fell out of love with them because of poor step tracking accuracy.
    Walking is my main activity, but most of it I do at a sustained walking speed of 4-4.5mph.
    At speeds above 3.5mph the Garmin devices I've used begin dropping steps, getting worse as you go faster.
    Typically at 4.2mph only 55% of steps get recorded. That means over the course of an activity you "lose" almost half of your steps and the resulting data collected is garbage.
    This affects both the Garmin Forerunner 35 and VivoactiveHR and may affect their other models too.
    Therefore if you do a lot of walking at a faster pace I'd recommend steering well clear of Garmin products.
    Garmin are aware of the issue but in the several months that I was dealing with them they failed to come up with a fix despite more than one software update.
    I'm now using the Samsung Gearfit2. It's got all the functionality the OP is looking for and does a good job of tracking steps accurately. You can even store music on it and playback to Bluetooth headphones (no need to bring your phone when you head out for exercise).