Daily Weigh in or Not?

Just wondering, does anyone else weigh daily? I know all the critics and weight loss gurus say not to, but I previously lost 180 lbs and weighed every single day. For me it keeps me accountable...it reminds me every day that if I eat that tonight I'm going to see it on the scale tomorrow. Just wondering your thoughts...

Replies

• scoopski_potatoes
    scoopski_potatoes Posts: 5 Member
    I weigh every day also. I think it helps me in the long run
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    It depends on how you deal with the number. If it freaks you out if you are up a bit from natural fluctuations and you spend the day punishing yourself for a gain, or makes you depressed or gives some other negative outcome - then no don't weigh daily. If you realize weight naturally fluctuates and the number is just information and nothing distressing then daily weighing is fine. It really depends on how you handle the information.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2017
    I don't weigh in on Monday or Tuesday because after years of doing this, I know I'll be up a bit from the weekend...it's not that it bothers me, it's more of a matter of I already know, so the data isn't particularly informative. I typically weigh in on Wednesday and Friday these days, and that's it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    I think always do what you think is best for your goals.

When I first started at 70 pounds over weight, I let the numbers get to me. One day I accidentally poured water on my digital scale and it stopped working.

For three months I didn't weigh myself but kept doing the food logging. It broke me of my emotional attachment to the numbers. Now I can weigh daily without it affecting me. I think daily weigh-ins are important.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I was weighing every couple of days and recording once a week, but the graph I get from weekly input bothers me so I'm switching to daily just so it'll look nicer ;)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2017
    I weigh every day, BUT, seeing fluctuations doesn't bother me.

This is where I advise "you do you". If seeing the scale go up the wednesday after taco tuesday with your buddies is going to drive you insane and cause you to guilt trip yourself then weighing daily is not for you, if you can brush it off and still stay motivated then go for it. Weighing daily can be helpful because you get to know your own bodies trends. If it's going to derail you, you are better off not.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    I weigh every day but only count/log it on my weekly weigh-in day unless I have seen the # for several days. Like you I lost a substantial amount of weight and I need the extra accountability. I've found that when I let myself go too long between weigh-ins I tend to let things slide too much. Do what works for you.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    I usually weigh in either once a week on Wednesday or on M-W-F depending on my goals.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    I weigh every day and have since I started using MFP back in January. It is definitely a personal preference.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I only weigh in if I'm able to have a BM first.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I only weigh in if I'm able to have a BM first.

Same here! :lol:

• raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 692 Member
    I weigh daily but am not mentally affected by fluctuation when I know I have not eaten the calories to support an actual gain. That said - a long time ago when losing weight, I got tired of it and just judged by clothes and stopped weighing but by then, I knew what to do and had been at it for a few years. Unless it will take you to a bad mental place, it's good to weigh daily for the foundation information, imo.
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 692 Member
    Just wondering, does anyone else weigh daily? I know all the critics and weight loss gurus say not to, but I previously lost 180 lbs and weighed every single day. For me it keeps me accountable...it reminds me every day that if I eat that tonight I'm going to see it on the scale tomorrow. Just wondering your thoughts...

This is rock star business, right here....!!! => 180 - zowie.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    I choose once a week but I believe you should do what works best for your loss!
  • askhokhar66
    askhokhar66 Posts: 3 Member
    It varies from individual to individual. In my case, I do it first thing in the morning. Sometimes, it is good news. I see variation of up to 1 KG every day. Keeping track of numbers works for me. It helps me to record everything I eat, record every workout, and of course weigh myself daily. If I don't do it all the time, I lose the motivation. On the other hand, some people find it best to weigh themselves only periodically ... with diet and workout, they get positive results and it adds to their motivation. .. However, it all boils down to what suits an individual
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    I weigh when I look at the scale and get ambitious or curious. Generally every couple days. But I only record if I lose, andI don't worry about fluctuations over a couple days.