Do people actually enjoy working out?

Options

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I honestly dont love "working out" in terms of being in a gym. I do however love taking a nightly walk with my husband (typically 3-5 miles) and our dog, and I do love hiking with them on the weekends. Something that motivates me to go is that since im so sedentary during the day, if I havent walked around or gone to the gym my legs hurt at night, Im pretty sure its in my head because this never used to happen but I feel better once ive done something. honestly I only go to the gym if its raining out now, I know once I progress more Ill need to start going, but right now im happy with walking and hiking.
  • theresa961
    theresa961 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have always been a walker. I try to walk at least 30 minutes a day. I hated gyms but then I found Orangetheory Fitness and now I am addicted!! Best 60 minutes of class ever! I hated gyms because I hated the smelly sweat in the air and sweaty equipment. At Orangetheory you carry disinfectant wipes with you so the equipment is always clean and the air is blasting so no smell! Fun fun classes
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love working out. I feel so good after a workout even if it's a quick one. It does enhance my mood. Plus it's an excuse for some alone time from my hectic work and family. I look forward to each day. Of course some days I'll feel a little less enthusiastic about it. But I always walk away happy.
  • JasonRainboze
    JasonRainboze Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've felt this for sure. I just wanted the results bad enough that I made myself do it anyway. Once I actually started proving to myself it was possible..... it all became worth it. Doesn't mean I don't struggle. But I just decided that it was worth it.
  • cogirljb
    cogirljb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy it, especially since I started lifting!!!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It is one of my most favorite activities.
    Between Combatives and weight training, I work out 6 days a week sometimes.

But I train for a reason and I have goals for myself.

If you do it consistently enough you will usually come to miss the endorphin rush if you skip a workout.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I did not when I started in august . I now love it I look forward to getting out of work and going to the gym I usually do 30 mins cardio & roughly 45 min lifting 5 days a week. If I cant make it to the gym I'm in my basement with youtube bodyproject videos going.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I look at it like any other activity. Few people enjoy repetition in the beginning, until they start to see results, then as these become more tangible and beneficial, the line begins to blur between the discipline and the results, so people begin to enjoy the activity.

This is how I feel like I have come to enjoy working out and pushing myself even harder. Sticking with a routine and seeing results- it is an awesome feeling.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I go to a bootcamp HIIT circuit class twice a week next door to my work, convenience plays a big part as does actually enjoying it, the camaraderie from my fellow "sufferers" and being accountable to my husband who goes with me, before my wedding I used to go to Zumba classes. I hate the gym, I get bored, I don't know if I'm doing it right and it feels like a massive slog. The main thing is to find something you actually enjoy or have fun doing that you can fit in to your busy day, even if its just getting some steps in by having a nice walk during your breaks at work and aiming for 10k steps a day. x
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It depends. Some of them I enjoy and some I survive with distraction from youtube etc. I like to hula hoop with music. I like dancing. I do not just love the elliptical or weights, but I need to do a variety of stuff to keep my body working all right so I suck it up and play distractions through my ear buds. Yoga is somewhere in the middle.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it..........when I'm done. Lol that's most of the time, but sometimes depending on what I am doing I do enjoy it or seeing myself improve, that's always enjoyable.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    kas1317 wrote: »
    I really just DO NOT enjoy it. It puts me in a terrible mood. I am not overweight by any means (5'1 115 pounds) but I would like to look better and drop a few pounds. I do feel like i have "excuses" --- I drive 45 min on a stop and go commute everyday, and honestly, when I get home, I just want to shower and cook dinner. I don't sit down until 8 or so to relax, and then it is off to bed to I can wake up at 6am to do it all again. I am married (no kids) working fulltime, housework, commute are enough to make me not want to do anything else! I know this sounds lazy and people have the same life PLUS KIDS, I just don't know how they do it.

any suggestions or motivating words!

Pick a gym (or running/cycling/etc. location) near work or opposite the traffic flow...the commute traffic may clear a bit by the time you finish.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ..and batch-cooking dinners clears much of that evening time on day-to-day basis.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Find a workout you love and do it. I love swimming---it's a great way for me to zone out and not have to deal with anything/anyone. It's a part of the patented brookielaw "swim til you don't give a *kitten*" program. I love lifting with my trainer. I walk nearly every day at lunch at work just to get away from my desk and tedium. I love training for triathlons, and competing with myself. No, I'll never see a podium (Ok I'll SEE one, I just won't be standing on it for awards/placement in my age class), but it's fun to me. If you love it, you'll make time for it. If you don't love it, find something else to do.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    if I weighed 115 only I may feel different. I started gaining weight at 16 and have struggled going from 145-208 lbs. I am 5'4 and am happy to weigh 160. I have walked every day for 40 years, trying everything to keep weight off with a Dad that hounded me continuous. He hated fat people. I guess he knew the struggles I would have if I got fat. I did like getting out in the fresh air, I do love Zumba, I love biking and hiking. I love getting with people and doing active stuff. I love swimming. Find something active that you love. I guess I was lucky I like all this stuff. I know a lady at church who is totally academic. Hates outside fun stuff so I guess it would be harder. She is thin, maybe she likes academic stuff so much she doesn't want to eat. She loves to study, wish I could have been a bit more like that.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If I don't get my daily hour on the recumbent (or run) I get very antsy and feel gross when I eat.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym 5-6 days per week. I don't particularly enjoy it, but I've made it a habit and feel bad when I miss. It's tolerable, I guess.

I do other exercises more for fun, like biking, and I DO enjoy that.
  • Kfont42
    Kfont42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not always, no. Some days, working out sounds miserable and it takes every bit of mental willpower to get me to put on my workout clothes and do something. But I push myself to find at least one thing I can do each day that sounds enjoyable and will burn calories, even if it's 30 minutes of yoga or taking my dog for a walk around the neighborhood. I change it up constantly because otherwise, I'll get bored and give up. I take a variety of classes at my gym - martial arts, weightlifting, dance, yoga, and I also have workout videos I can do at home (yoga, barre, and more martial arts). I also enjoy mowing the lawn, gardening, bike riding, and kayaking, so if I want to be outside and away from a workout DVD, I have those options. I've been working hard for the past 3 months and have lost 20 pounds and built up muscle, so now, my motivation to continue working out is to keep the body I worked so hard to get.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I look forward to exercising more than any other individual activity in my life.