Do people actually enjoy working out?

Replies

• KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    I went from a morbidly obesed couch potato full time job working, mother of three, wife with every excuse in the world on why I could never attempt to work out because of the herniated disc in my lower back and neck and the aneurysm in my artery to my brain... I mean seriously there is NO way I can work out!!! To now, 6 months later, a slightly over weight (26lbs to go) Mom who works out 6 days a week. Working out was not one of my favorite things when I first started, I started off taking walks every day during my lunch... rain, sleet or snow i was out there walking for 30 minutes. Then I added a Zumba class on Monday nights, loved that class so much I added another class on Wednesday nights. Pound Class on Thursday nights, sure that sounds fun... I still walk 30 minutes M-F during lunch, take the 3 classes during the week and my husband and I power walk Saturday & Sunday mornings when we are at our campground on the weekends. Some days it is a chore just thinking about working out, other days I look forward to it. No matter how hard I have to push/guilt myself into doing it, I always feel amazing after I've done it and lets face it, its really my only alone time. Sure, there are plenty of days I don't want to get up and go work either but I do because the mortgage and the trailer at the campground remind me that I don't have an option just like the number of candles on my last birthday cake and the scale remind me that not working out isn't an option. I am actually looking to add some strength training to the week as well now that I am almost a goal weight I want to mix it up a bit. Enjoyment is mind over matter when it comes to working out, well at least it is for me!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Yes. I enjoy working out very much. Having said that when I first got back into it at the beginning of the year it took me a couple of months to work into a routine that I enjoyed. There are as many ways to be physically active as there are people in the world.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2017
    kas1317 wrote: »
    I really just DO NOT enjoy it. It puts me in a terrible mood. I am not overweight by any means (5'1 115 pounds) but I would like to look better and drop a few pounds. I do feel like i have "excuses" --- I drive 45 min on a stop and go commute everyday, and honestly, when I get home, I just want to shower and cook dinner. I don't sit down until 8 or so to relax, and then it is off to bed to I can wake up at 6am to do it all again. I am married (no kids) working fulltime, housework, commute are enough to make me not want to do anything else! I know this sounds lazy and people have the same life PLUS KIDS, I just don't know how they do it.

any suggestions or motivating words!

Find something that you enjoy, and it doesn't feel like a chore.

Personally I run, as it's easy to fit in a quick 60-90 minutes after work, and longer at the weekend. I find that it helps give me some time to myself, helping me process things in my head and chill out.

I do find resistance training to be pretty dull, but that's just a question of seeing it as a means to an end and finding ways to build it into my training in ways that are a little more interesting; run to the woods or park, do a bodyweight session then run home etc.

As upthread, there are lots of workouts that I'd not enjoy, but they wouldn't give me anything I don't get already in terms of my objectives.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I enjoy long walks, but sometimes I don't have time, so I use a cardio machine (fitness glider). I've been creating a gym in my basement with low-cost items like dumbbells, stability ball, cardio step, tubes and bands. I will say that I don't always enjoy working out while doing it... but I love
    • The feeling of accomplishment when I get to stop
    • Noticing results. Until about 2 months ago, I don't think I'd ever done a lunge in my life. Now I'm doing two sets of 12 reps with 3lb dumbbells and I can complete the set. I tried lifting a 15lb dumbbell today in the store and did 5 reps with it when a few weeks ago, it was all I could do to raise it a few inches off the rack and put it down without slamming it.
    • Taking the stairs in the subway system at a decent clip and not being winded at the top.

Sometimes I mix things up. A cardio-and-weights interval workout if 'pure' strength training feels like something I'd rather not do. Longer walks. But a couple of weeks ago, I'd done a two-hour walk in the morning and mid-afternoon, even though I hadn't planned on doing more, I just... wanted to move. So, yeah. Did the interval workout. And it felt great.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited June 2017
    I enjoy being active so much and I look forward to my workouts. I have so much variety in my routines which keeps me from getting bored.

It wasn't always like this though. I had to discover activities I enjoyed and I had to build my body up to be able to sustain the activity.

I literally had to force myself to workout at first. I woke up early, put on my workout clothes and did work. Getting it out the way helped a lot. Waiting until after work gave me too many excuses or something else might have come up.

The more I worked out, I slowly started seeing results. That gave me motivation to keep it going. This then turned into a habit.

So it wasn't overnight that I went from struggling to exercise to loving it, but being active everyday has made a tremendous difference in my life and I love the physical and mental results I've gained from it.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    edited June 2017
    I understand how you feel. My suggestion would be to do a little bit in the mornings - there are plenty of short workouts that you can find on the Internet (I use Pinterest to find them because there are tons of easy visual charts; HIIT, morning workout are good search terms) or apps on your phone like the 7 minute HIIT workout apps (I have one from ZenLabs but there are a number of them). Or a short run. Or swim, or ride... I think having a variety of activities makes it easier and more fun, less monotonous.

You can also take breaks during the day and get in some squats, planks, pushups, high knees, etc. You can also bring a few resistance bands to work and get in some bicep curls or other exercises at your desk.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I don't enjoy working out, but while I'm walking/running/ellipticaling I usually get to watch some good TV shows or movies on my Kindle and that makes me happy. Right now I'm watching the most recent season of OITNB!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    kas1317 wrote: »
    I really just DO NOT enjoy it. It puts me in a terrible mood. I am not overweight by any means (5'1 115 pounds) but I would like to look better and drop a few pounds. I do feel like i have "excuses" --- I drive 45 min on a stop and go commute everyday, and honestly, when I get home, I just want to shower and cook dinner. I don't sit down until 8 or so to relax, and then it is off to bed to I can wake up at 6am to do it all again. I am married (no kids) working fulltime, housework, commute are enough to make me not want to do anything else! I know this sounds lazy and people have the same life PLUS KIDS, I just don't know how they do it.

any suggestions or motivating words!

There are types of exercise I enjoy more than others, but I would always rather be reading a book. After years of on and off exercise sprees, I'm in the camp of making small manageable changes that will last rather than going hardcore for 3-9 months and then burning out.

My situation is similar to yours except I'm single. I also have a dog and since I work full time, I have dog guilt leaving him for longer so I can exercise.

I try to walk 1-3 miles/day and I go to yoga once a week. Not going to impress anyone, but I feel better and maybe next month I'll feel motivated to add to it:)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I love it.. the feeling and the results are addictive. Lifting especially, plus circuits, yoga, interval training, kickboxing.. the only thing I don't really love is using the stair climber but it is intense and over quick so I deal
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    I hear you! But it is possible. I work a full time job with a 30-40 minute drive each way and have two kids. I wake up at 6am. Work from 7:30am-4:30pm. Get the kids and am home by 5:30pm. Bedtime is 7:30pm and as soon as they hit the pillow, that's my time. My hubby and I go to the gym on alternating days, occasionally changing it around so we both lift about three times a week. He usually goes to the gym while I do the kids bedtime so if he's back from the gym before it gets too late, I'll go for a jog on my "off" day. On the days I work out, I don't really get any chores done beyond my workout but either the hubby will get stuff done or else the dishes can really wait until my "off" day. I never used to enjoy working out and really didn't get into it until after my second child was born. I rely on easy dinners (eggs, chicken cooked the weekend before, wraps, etc) and a set workout schedule and plan that takes the thinking out of working out. I also second trying things you think you might not enjoy. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm starting to enjoy weight lifting! You can do it!! :)
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    I really love going to my Zumba classes. Even beyond the physical benefits of exercise, it gets me out of the house socializing (I'm a huge homebody) and makes me feel more confident (I'm NOT a dancer at all, but now I feel like one a bit). Ironically I often feel MORE energized after class. I also elliptical, treadmill and bike ... I can't say I LOVE them, but that's also my tv or book time, making me feel less guilty for watching/reading as I'm "exercising" (even though I'm often not putting out a huge effort). Being a Fitbit fan, anything that gets me "steps" is motivation to move.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    I love that I am well enough and I have the physical strength and stamina TO work out. Not to get all sappy, but I am thankful every single day for the healthy body that I continue to nurture for as long as I can.

Having had a serious illness, and recovering from it, puts a different perspective on things. Not everyone gets a second chance and I won't waste it. So, YES I love working out because I CAN!

Find something you enjoy and you may change your attitude about exercise. I go to aquasize class several times a week, do yoga, Qigong, 5K and 10K road races and play a lot of disc golf with my husband and family. I watch stupid TV while I do dumbbell and bodyweight exercises or just stretching on my yoga mat. There's something out there for everyone. Keep looking!
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    I enjoy working out. Not every workout is the best workout ever, but I have found types of exercise that I truly enjoy - dancing, kickboxing, running, hot yoga, etc. I usually go to the park to run or hit the gym right after work, and then the commute home is easier since there is less traffic. I also meal prep on the weekends, so I'll have meals or meal components ready to eat when I get home.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I hated it until the last few years. Always had excuses, always too tired, always too busy, always miserable when I did do something, had tried a million different things and thought I hated it all...

And then I guess something just clicked for some reason. I decided that I couldn't keep on not exercising (I was never technically overweight and had an active job, but I knew I wasn't in great shape), and I...started doing something. I did C25K and suddenly running was okay, because I didn't feel like I was going to die anymore every time I tried. I lifted some weights and it was not fun but I could push myself to do it in exchange for getting to run a bit afterwards. It started to be fun to go to random classes or go play a sport with my friends or swim because it wasn't as difficult and I started to understand the endorphin thing since I did feel good afterwards.

Now, I cycle commute, run regularly, and do a little weight training when my husband twists my arm (I've never learned to like it but I know it's good for me.) I'm training my puppy to run with me too. Overall, I just found ways to make it part of my life and not something that took me away from my life. I went to the gym or for a run at lunch, I learned to enjoy quiet early morning runs for the solitude and stress relief, I never say no to a run or race with friends or rec sports or a dance class because they're all great ways to see my friends without just going out for drinks or whatever. I don't love it all and I'm not good at a lot of it (see: sports with balls, anything requiring grace) but I still find something to enjoy about it, whether its the camaraderie, the convenience (bike commuting), or just the way I feel afterwards (or getting to eat more because of it.)

And I really do feel better for it. More energetic in general, stronger, and it's nice to be able to just run one of those gimmicky fun runs on a whim or say yes to a hiking or ski trip without thinking twice or offer to fill in when someone's team member can't make it to a game or carry the groceries.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    It depends on the type of workout. I LOVE lifting weights. It makes me feel fantastic. I like going for power walks. I used to really like running and am working on getting back into running again. I LOVE LOVE LOVE dance for cardio.

I mean, to be honest, I only really dislike working out if I feel really bad at it or embarrassed. Like, if I was in a group fitness class and had to do push-ups, burpees or jump rope I would hate every second. I would want to cry because right now I'm *kitten* at those things so the embarrassment and how hard it would be would make me hate every second and I wouldn't be able to clear my mind of memories of when I was fit enough to do those things without any real issue.

So, you know, find what you enjoy and then you will enjoy your workouts. Force yourself to do things you absolutely hate and workouts feel like *kitten*.

*Oh and I'm not saying don't challenge yourself because something is hard. And if there is something you are bad at and hate you can always try practicing it in private until you feel like you're good enough at it to do it in public.
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Yes, but only the workouts I want to do, and usually after the fact. Hate the hell out of cardio and will be grumpy start to finish, but lifting is my heart. I love lifting. About 3/4 into my workout I'm cranky and want to stop, but at the end I get that lovely endorphin kick I always heard of but never experienced until I started doing the powerlifting type workouts.

Not everyone has to do the same workouts and it's totally reasonable to hate some of it. Working out is hard, and for me I frequently have to work to figure out if I actually hate it, or if it's just hard at the time.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I think the key is finding something you love, or at the very least, something you can make bearable.

I love running. I go to bed every night looking forward to running the next morning. I wake up early, ready to get out there and get going. There are very few neighbors out and everything is quiet. It's me time. Well, me and my podcasts.

Strength training is another matter. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I keep mixing up what I'm doing with it to keep it interesting for me, and it's enough to just keep plugging at it and get something done.

The main thing is that I keep active and I am happy with my main chosen form of activity.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Powerlifting gives me so much joy.
  • xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Workouts took alot of motivation at first, and I would have rather been on the couch, but after the first few weeks that changed. I love my workouts now and they are crucial for my mental health, keeping my mood balanced and keeping my energy levels up. :)
  • Meaganinsardinia
    Meaganinsardinia Posts: 42 Member
    I had the 45 min commute to work plus a very challenging full time job. I was a cranky zombie when I got home and always tired. My doctor suggested I move closer to work, I gave him $80 and did what he said.

My suggestions saving time are living in a small place, not having too much stuff, doing laundry at the laundrette where you can get everything in one machine and then one dryer and its done, stop wearing makeup, get fruit and veg delivered, do your meal prep for the week but swap some meals with friends so you can cook in bulk but don't have to keep eating the same thing. Combining exercise with catch ups with friends and family like walking, swimming or bike riding (then pretend to look horrified when they produce a bottle of wine from their bag afterwards).