Elbow pain

Hi guys does anyone suffer with elbow pain when doing dips of any kind.
I'm starting to get pain and it's driving me nuts. I'm gonna stop doing them for the time being. See what happens.

Has everyone else had this, what did you do to stop it??

Replies

• YearOfTheDragonLeo
    YearOfTheDragonLeo Posts: 214 Member
    I did from upright rows. I assumed it was from going to heavy/fast. I bought a wrap and rested for awhile. It took about 6 mos to fully go away.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Is the pain on inside, outside, or somewhere else?
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

It feels it's at the top of the elbow where triceps connects to it. So middle ish on arm
  • Movemoreguy22
    I did from upright rows. I assumed it was from going to heavy/fast. I bought a wrap and rested for awhile. It took about 6 mos to fully go away.

Hmmm sounds interesting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    Tendinitis. It NEVER goes away. So don't do dips. Also, elbow sleeves give a little support and keep the joint warm. I have tendinitis in both elbows from years of lifting. Both golfer's and tennis. I usually have to do a good warm up before hitting any poundages that are challenging to keep my elbows from screaming.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Movemoreguy22
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Tendinitis. It NEVER goes away. So don't do dips. Also, elbow sleeves give a little support and keep the joint warm. I have tendinitis in both elbows from years of lifting. Both golfer's and tennis. I usually have to do a good warm up before hitting any poundages that are challenging to keep my elbows from screaming.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ahh I laugh them off then cheers fella
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    I Get it in both mine, I've reduced the weight and upped the reps on my curls etc and it seems to be helping a little
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

@ninerbuff I wouldn't say don't do dips. Had Tendinitis last year and while its more or less healed, some days I do a slight niggle of leftover tendinits if that makes sense. Recently I got back to doing dips cos the physio said they shouldn't be a problem but I always make sure to do a lot of stretches of the area beforehand and after.

@garygriffin if you do OHP, possibly leave them out for a while. See if that helps.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    I am battling pretty bad tendinitis now. I still lift, but I am also going to the physio 2x a week. I actually get more pain from picking up a full water bottle than DL 300lbs+. If you are having pain, I'd consider getting it checked before it gets to a point where you can't work out.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Pain during the exercise is never a good sign, I drop any lift that causes it. Painful elbows or shoulders can impact on everyday life, so it's not worth it. There's plenty of alternatives for any body part.
  • Chieflrg
    edited June 2017
    pbryd wrote: »
    Pain during the exercise is never a good sign, I drop any lift that causes it. Painful elbows or shoulders can impact on everyday life, so it's not worth it. There's plenty of alternatives for any body part.

Pain can alleviated in some cases with better programming, form correction , or even the order you train certain lifts.

Example: Some people have elbow pain while benching after squatting low bar. There is no reason to quit benching, rather bench prior to squatting.

It feels it's at the top of the elbow where triceps connects to it. So middle ish on arm

Tendonitis can be calmed down by working the eccentrics of a lift as well as cleaning up form.

In your case, I'm still not exactly sure where the pain is...above the tip of the elbow?

There may be oyher reasons why you feel pain. Are you benching, squatting, OHP, dumbell work like skull crushers the same day by chance?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

@ninerbuff I wouldn't say don't do dips. Had Tendinitis last year and while its more or less healed, some days I do a slight niggle of leftover tendinits if that makes sense. Recently I got back to doing dips cos the physio said they shouldn't be a problem but I always make sure to do a lot of stretches of the area beforehand and after.

@garygriffin if you do OHP, possibly leave them out for a while. See if that helps.
    If dips are causing the issue, you don't do them at this point. Doesn't mean it can't be tried again later, but for pain to subside, you steer away from the movements that cause them in the first place.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Movemoreguy22
    pbryd wrote: »

Pain can alleviated in some cases with better programming, form correction , or even the order you train certain lifts.

Example: Some people have elbow pain while benching after squatting low bar. There is no reason to quit benching, rather bench prior to squatting.

Tendonitis can be calmed down by working the eccentrics of a lift as well as cleaning up form.

In your case, I'm still not exactly sure where the pain is...above the tip of the elbow?

There may be oyher reasons why you feel pain. Are you benching, squatting, OHP, dumbell work like skull crushers the same day by chance?

I only do bodyweight. So normal day would be push ups, chin up, chair dips, pull ups, bar dips, decline push ups that's about it.
    A lot of tricep action in there ain't there??
  • Chieflrg
    4:2 ratio on push vs. pull.

This could be easily twice the volume and culprit.

Balance this out and like I mentioned previously, concentrate on the eccentrics of the lift only for now until the flare dies down for a couple weeks then reassess.

Elbow sleeves will help allow you to train without as much pain as well as ibuprofen, though I wouldn't use it for long stints.
  • Movemoreguy22
    4:2 ratio on push vs. pull.

This could be easily twice the volume and culprit.

Balance this out and like I mentioned previously, concentrate on the eccentrics of the lift only for now until the flare dies down for a couple weeks then reassess.

Elbow sleeves will help allow you to train without as much pain as well as ibuprofen, though I wouldn't use it for long stints.

Didn't think of it like that. I throw some rows in there and kill off a dip
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I had same problem and got Tommy copper arm sleeve, thing worked wonders and I hardly have any pain, anymore
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited July 2017
    I was doing 100 pushups, 50 pullups and 60 dips 5 days a week and developed tendonitis (tennis elbow) in both arms.

Tried elbow sleeves and wraps but they did no good. So, I took a 2 month layoff and cut back to just 3x a week, every other day, and the tendonitis went away.

Now doing 120 pushups, 60 pullups and 80 dips 3x's a week w/o any elbow pain whatsoever.
  • Movemoreguy22
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I was doing 100 pushups, 50 pullups and 60 dips 5 days a week and developed tendonitis (tennis elbow) in both arms.

Tried elbow sleeves and wraps but they did no good. So, I took a 2 month layoff and cut back to just 3x a week, every other day, and the tendonitis went away.

Now doing 120 pushups, 60 pullups and 80 dips 3x's a week w/o any elbow pain whatsoever.

Happy days. Glad it's going great for you
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited July 2017

Hope you didn't take my post as just bragging.

Point that I hoped to make was to encourage you to take time off (as you say you are going to do) to give your elbow time to rest and to then try again later.

Best wishes and good luck!
  • Movemoreguy22
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Hope you didn't take my post as just bragging.

Point that I hoped to make was to encourage you to take time off (as you say you are going to do) to give your elbow time to rest and to then try again later.

Best wishes and good luck!
    Na that's cool man cheers for your help.

I have changed workout. Where I was doing loads of body weights like a lot of push excerises. Think I was doing to much triceps weren't coping.
    Doing compound lifts at the min like full body. Push/pull days to give some decent rest and avoiding dips