WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Replies

• DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2017
    Good morning!
    It's a sunny Saturday after the storms blew they out state last night. Lot of lightning and a long line frim Texarkana to Fayetteville!

Lisa I certainly understand. I have Facebook, Instagram and MFP. a lot to keep up. I like Instagram a lot and focus on Coonhounds. They always make me smile!

Joyce Please rethink declawing your cat. Just think how it would feel to have your fingertips cut off. It would be painful and terrible. If you do it don't expect your cat to ever the same.

I need to focus this month and break this plateau I've been on. June came and went without much progress!

As soon as I get past the MRI next week I'll be able to focus. It's hard to do anything well with something hanging over your head. :(

Have a good day!
    Dana in Arkansas

Does anyone know what kind of insect this is?? The neighbor dog played with for a while tossing it in the air, so I don't think it survived.
    7vkebdrk7ccl.jpg

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    Hi all!
    Allie - I'm so glad you had a terrific birthday, apart from the Reeses, and I'm sure you will go on to have a wonderful life. <3 A clean slate indeed! :D

We are in Hove. We arrived to find Edie had been ill with a tummy bug. Vomiting, though she was over it. Enjoyed our fish and chips and champagne. :laugh: The fish and chips were four times the price of the champagne! :o
    Then this morning we went with the kids to tennis and my son went down with the tummy bug. He is in bed. :'(
    Then this afternoon we were out in the garden flying paper airoplanes when Max felt ill and started throwing up. :o:'( Bea has been very clingy, so she is not feeling great. Edie and DH are now reading together instead of going to the beach and Max is watching a film. :'(
    I expect we will go down with it in a couple of days.

Just recently I have been wonderin about what happened to my ex DBIL, who was a huge influence on my life in my early 20s. I asked my son if his dad had ever mentioned him. (We all lived together in the early 70s) so my son Googled his name and found an obituary from his partner Kate who was with him after my ex's sister was killed in a car crash at the age of 29. He had died in 2013 at the age of 73 after 8 years of dementia. I knew nothing about this and it was a real shock.
    I can't emphasise enough how important this man was in my life in attitudes, politics, musical tastes and for my love of food. He was beloved by many - a real charismatic soul.
    This morning, after having found it hard to get to sleep, I woke up at 4 am and found myself shedding a tear. So sad to end that way - to develop dementia at 65, and almost unbelievable. :noway:
    Together we went through the shock of losing my then husband's sister in a terrible car accident (I was 25) and my husband's mother having a full blown psychotic episode as a consequence.
    Amazing times that formed me. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    5lam5vqurpmb.jpg
    Empowering ain't it?
    Hugs
    Becca

I'll throw half back and just build a house, don't need an empire
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    yo peeps and welcome new peeps.
    xm7yzysalfa1.jpg
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    Good morning!

Does anyone know what kind of insect this is?? The neighbor dog played with for a while tossing it in the air, so I don't think it survived.
    7vkebdrk7ccl.jpg

Dana - I think it's a Katydid! Haven't seen one of those in a long time.... we don't have them or lightning bugs/fireflies out here in the Pacific Northwest. Miss them.

Lanette
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Good morning again my friends~
    Things can take such an unexpected turn.. my dear friend that I was going to her house for the party for got a call early this morning, that her BIL had a heart attack, He unfortunatly didn't make it.. I went over there to console her a see if there was anything she needed.. she has a good support system . and I am back home now..
    But before all that, I went with Tom to feed DFIL
    Once back in the car I confronted him, said I knew about Elena and how this is going on for 3 yrs and how disappointed and hurt I feel.. and left it at that.. he said all she is is a friend, I helped her move, I dont know where you are getting this information .. I said Tom, Its done.all very calmly mind you..
    so after I get back from Pattys he said well I have tickets to Beatlemania do you want to go. I said no .take her..and he said no I said if you have plans dont stop on my account, no I am not going. you go and have a good time..
    Yes It will all be up the lawyers now.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Did an hour of Kelly Coffee Meyers 30 Minutes to Fitness Body Shop. I was right, there were two different workouts on that DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Debby Rocker's AM and PM walking DVD

After exercise went to the farmers market. The guy with the good corn was there, but the Silver Queen isn't in yet. We like the peaches and cream variety, only not as much as the silver queen. He may have it next weekend or the weekend after that. If it's in 2 weeks, I'll have to have Vince call him and meet up so he can get it (we did that last year). Then went to the Salvation Army, but since I was there yesterday nothing new. Then stopped at Food Lion to get some sweet potatoes that were on sale. I got some really good sweet potato recipes at the farmers market.

The month started out where I didn't do too good on my goal of only eating when hungry. Towards the end of the month, I did get better.

Cooked the corn I got at the farmers market. I didn't get a whole lot. Not even enough to put in the freezer. Now when the silver queen comes in, I've already made a spot in the freezer for that. Now I'm making these triple chocolate truffle bars for Vince. The main reason I'm making them is because you can make two with the ingredients, so I'll freeze one and then take it to Jess.

Lisa - I echo what Allie said. Love you. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my email if you'd like

Mavis - welcome back. You were sorely missed. I'm so sorry about your coworker

Barbie - I usually don't comment on the exercise or days logged, either. I do check out people's menus and get some really good ideas, things I would never have thought of on my own

Lanette - I do drink kefir on occasion. I usually get the plain, since the flavored has sugar in it. I'd rather get plain yogurt or kefir and add my own fruit or whatever. Love the quote

Lenora - I did basically the same thing about my dress for Denise's wedding. I picked out about 5 that I was comfortable in and took pictures of them. A few of them she immediately dismissed. It was finally down to two and I was pressuring her to make a decision. She had Pete make it, and he chose the one I liked best, thank goodness. I would have worn the other one, but I liked this one better. Actually it was less expensive than the bridesmaid's dresses. I took it to a friend of mine to be altered. I did call the place I got it to ask them how much the alterations (about 1" taken in on the sides and hemmed about 6"). It would come to almost $100. I know Diane won't charge me anywhere near that amount. I'll probably pay her $60 and just tell her that that's what it would have cost me plus she was saving me from having to drive to Charlotte. We've never had any problem with declawing any of our cats and they are amazing in outside. They can scamper up a tree in nothing flat and bring down birds, rabbits, and other animals. One of ours even caught a camelion. So, Joyce, I honestly wouldn't worry about Mr. Mozart outside (that is, if he goes outside. Ours only go outside when we take them on the deck to trim their nails, and then I'm holding them. Trimming the nails probably takes a minute or two, then they're inside all the time). Congrats to your DIL

It seems that I didn't lose and I didn't gain this month. But then again, that's like every month. One week up, one week down. But at least I'm not gaining

Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian friends

Ernie - what do you mean by "funeral info". What you'd like or someone else?

Dana - I don't have Instagram or snapchat. I only have facebook, MFP, and my email. That's about all I have time for

Allie - so sorry for your friend's BIL. I'm so very proud of the way you are standing up for yourself (have I mentioned this before?)

Michele in NC

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    ⚓⚓⚓⚓
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Happy July! I always start out with a goal report for the previous month, so here goes:

June 2017 Resolutions:

1: Log every bite and swallow. Done!
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina. Mostly
    successful but I was unable to go to yoga as often as I want to do.
    3. Have fun every day. Done
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day. Done
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly. I'm sleeping well.

My July Resolutions will look amazingly familiar.
    July 2017 Resolutions:

1: Log every bite and swallow;
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Michele: I've always thought that the words "men" and "stubborn" were synonyms. DH thinks that my name is a synonym for stubborn. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. :devil:

Lisa: I hope you'll be back with us soon. (((HUGS))) I agree with NYKaren. Keep logging & moving. Visit us when you are able. :flowerforyou:

Mavis: It is good to see you! Stop by as often as you can. :smiley:

Barbie: Thanks for the new thread. I've been taking a break from facebook. I still stop by there, but not very often. I use it most often for private messaging and chatting with friends. :flowerforyou:

Dana in AR: I've had serious issues when going in for an MRI and it has been years for me. I am claustrophobic and grateful that I haven't needed one. Because of his MS, DH gets an annual scan. He doesn't seem to mind. I hope yours goes well. :smile:

Heather: It sounds as though your son, his family, & now you have been exposed to a nasty virus. I hope that you & your DH turn out to be immune. I'm sorry about the loss of your former brother in law. It has been a long while since you've seen him, but this is undoubtedly sad news for you. (((HUGS)))

Dana: DH thinks your insect looks like an elm beetle. Are there elms in your area? Good luck figuring it out. :star: Pip is unquestionably right-it is a green thing that looks like a bug. :laugh:

I have a busy day ahead of me. there is a meeting of homeowner's officers to discuss a painting contract, and a meeting of women to talk about social events. Then I get to go for a riding lesson. I hope the lesson makes up for the meetings.

Happy Canada Day!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    Thank you Katla and Kate. <3 It's difficult to describe how important my ex DBIL was in my life. I was only 18 when I met him. I am still so sad that no one, including my ex husband, thought to inform me. So many choices and affinities in my life come from him. He was a special person. What a terrible ending. :'( I did write to their address once in a Christmas card, asking to meet up, but got no response.

When we left Hove my DDIL had been sick and had gone to bed. My son had risen from the dead. Max had pleaded to go to bed and DH took him up. :o So we tidied up and swept around a bit, asked my son if he wanted us to stay (no) and left him in charge of a grumpy, clinging Bea and a well behaved Edie. Only an hour until their bedtime. Horrible! I guess it's Norovirus. We expect to get it on Monday or Tuesday.

I forgot to take my son's birthday presents with me, that I had chosen with great care. :s Then as we were leaving we saw a parking ticket on the windscreen. I had forgotten to write the car's registration number on our permit. Grrrrrr! If we pay up straight away it will be £25. My fault, so I will pay. :s

Had delicious chilli when we got in, that I had taken out of the freezer before we left and put in the fridge. :D Went a bit silly on the alcohol, but I'm not over on the week, so all is well.
    Will be over calories, but not by too much, as we could not do our normal exercise regime today. We walked some distance to the grandchildrens' tennis lessons, but no comparison.

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)Katla, I avoided asking for an MRI to diagnose the terrible pain I had for months because I was terrified because of claustrophobia. Then I talked to someone whose doctor had given him something to relax him before the MRI. I asked my doctor about that and she ordered two lorazepam 1 mg tablets for me and I was so relaxed and had no trouble. Someone else had to drive me over and back and I took a nap when I got home, but I got through it easily.

<3 Barbie
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Thank God for my DBnL! I had to drive Louis’ truck into town to go grocery shopping. Should have known it wasn’t going to go well when I had to get DH to turn the key over to start the truck. I just don’t have the strength. Got to grocery store and beside my list I bought 3 times that were BOGO and ribs were on sale for $2 and change a lb. And I picked up a sour cream loaf pound cake; got to cashier and had to put the ribs and pound cake back, and still had to write a $17 check. I no longer am embarrassed to pull items out of bags and have her take them off.

Also, paid for the watermelon that didn’t get checked out on Tuesday. The bag lady asked me what I was doing; was I going to pay for it? I told her ‘sure – otherwise I would be stealing it'. She seemed shock that I would even bring it up. Well, I knew when I got to the car, I had not paid for them; but, the cashier (they hire people with disabilities) just apparently did not see them, or I had my bag on top. But, anyway they were not paid for. Watermelon is one thing in the fruit family that Louis does not particularly like because it makes him ‘burp’. So, saw DBnL at the store; he asked if we had let Trey and Jenn take ours when I told him that I needed his help to get it turned over.

I cussed that damn truck up one side and down the other; it’s got over 400,000 miles on it; has had its motor replaced, the transmission replaced, and is held together (seats and such) with ‘duct tape’. The seat rides forward and back whenever you take off or stop and it feels like a tank. Couldn’t get the passenger side open (it’s a 3-door) and can’t pull the back of the driver’s side forward, so the bag boy had to hand me the bags and I put them in the front seat. Had to stop by library because I had the new James Patterson book out and was 9 days late on it because DH read it, and, I had to finish the book I was reading and then read it. I left it running at the library double-parked and came in saying, “I’ve left my truck running with groceries in it, so if anybody wants to steal it, I am sure they’d be bringing it back and PAYING me to take it off their hands.” Yep, it was a bit ‘Loonie Tunes’; but, at that point the only other thing that could have gone wrong is to ‘run out of gas’ (with no phone and Louis never takes his outside on weekends, he never even turns it on).

Carnations are beautiful!

We always forget Emilee’s birthday because she was born on 7/3 and they have always been at the beach with friends. So, I don’t even know what to get her, we’ll just give her money and tell her to ‘buy something that SHE really wants’ … not clothes (unless that is what she wants). She’ll be 11 – that age between being a child and almost a teenager. Eleven and twelve are hard ages to buy for.

This past summer was the first time in YEARS that we’ve had lightening bugs. I can remember as a child, waiting for the sun to start going down and we had 100s and we’d have a jar with holes poked in the top for catching them. Then, we’d take their butts off and smear the lightening bug yellow lights on our faces. What I remember most is how ‘bad’ they smelled. About the closest thing I have seen since are ‘Love Bugs’ that have now come up into Georgia. I think the lightening bugs was a Middle Georgia thing.

Welcome ‘newbies’. Sorry for those who have lost ones they love. Congrats on not going over your eating habits that put the pounds back on. Today I walked on treadmill for 25 minutes, up by 10 – had a radio with earplugs and it made it go faster because I close my eyes and just listen to the music.

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Hello July! Hard to believe it is here. Well except for the temperature.

PIp, when did Kirby start letting is hair grow longer. The curtains match your personality. Enjoy.

Blood pressure a little high today. Got up and the usual house habit is that the cats immediately come in and sit on my bed until I turn the sound machine off. I guess I could just go ahead and get up but I want to train Mr Mozart that the day doesn't start until my sound machine is turned off. Melody knows that and is very good about it. MR Mozart is doing pretty good about staying on the bed and not bothering Melody. I have no idea what he does during the night. But this morning was different. After I got up, went to the bathroom and got back on my bed, Melody came but Mr Mozart did not. I went about the usual morning routine, opening drapes, putting out fresh food, sales ing the litter box. But still no kitten. I opened Charlie's closed bedroom door and wasn't there. I even opened every closed off room including the laundry room and looking in the sump pump. I did that because I could hear my girls taking in my head. We lost one of our little pets when they see younger, it looked like a drowned rat in the sump pump. So finally I opened the front door and called his name. And there is my handsome kitten came running from out from underneath the minivan. We guess when Charlie came in last night from Karaoke, he went out. He doesn't look like he got into any spats with animals, was very hungry and wanted t use the litter box. His paws are really dirty like he was sitting on an oily driveway.

I know in my heart I should let this affect my decision to have him front declawed. And I also have done much research on the process of declawing. MIchelle is about the biggest animal advocate I know and has told me all about it. But the vet said there are some circumstances to consider when declawing. The main one is the health of the owners. You should see Charlie's arms and legs where he has scratched him. Mine aren't as bad but he has done a job. My dermatologist says that every time I have a cat scratch is a potential place for psoriasis. I will be going off of my blood thinner next month but Charlie's is forever. His nail caps are not working. He just scratches until they come off. I have tried taking him to the scratching post immediately when I see him scratching the furniture. My spray bottle does not stop it either. The vet that my vets office uses has a very tiny incision and then does a laser treatment the following morning to help with healing. We will be using a special litter after it is done.

Joyce, indiana