Super cheap protein shakes?

Already on everlast whey protein but need extra stuff while I'm on work breaks for extra calories etc that isn't as expensive

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    edited July 2017
    Chocolate milk is the poor mans protein shake.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Google
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Body Fortress is pretty cheap.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    MyProtein isn't bad value.
    I'm not sure protein powder is something you should scrimp too much on, as heaven knows what's in the really cheap ones. (Probably loads of sugar?)

But otherwise look at other high protein options like cottage cheese, quark, skyr, greek yogurt etc.
    In London, a protein shake made to order is £4.50 at Protein Haus, you can get a bottled one at the supermarket for about £3, but a tub of Arla flavoured quark (labeled as "protein 20g") is £1.10. All have about 20g protein in one serving, and are easily available.
    Lidl and Aldi do individual tubs of flavoured skyr for about 90p, but that involves a trip to a suburban supermarket!
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    I use Optimum Nutrition whey protein and casein protein. It's one of the best values I've found. The casein protein is about $1 per serving and the whey protein is about $0.77 per serving. MetRX is also fairly inexpensive.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Donuts if you want extra calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Already on everlast whey protein but need extra stuff while I'm on work breaks for extra calories etc that isn't as expensive

More for extra calories, or more for extra protein? (ie what would be an optimal calorie/gram protein ratio for you?, and how important is taste/are you drinking it straight mixed with water?). other options as well: Yogurt/cottage cheese, as someone mentioned above, makes for a good high-protein snack (with varying calorie/protein ratios since both are available ranging from FF to 1% to 4%). Fish salad on maybe crackers (fish has more protein per calorie than a lot of protein powders on the market, but can be pricy to eat a lot). I'm a fan of bodybuilding.com for protein powder, since you can sort and filter by price, calories, grams protein, etc per serving, reviews on specific flavors; with a large enough selection to give you an idea of what a decent price to beat would be.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    If you can deal with the texture, pea protein powder is probably the cheapest. It's about $0.43/serving.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Check Costco and Sam's Club. Both have lower per serving cost of what I consider middle-range brands and if you are drinking them every day, bulk purchases are probably the best option. If you don't have a membership, ask around - someone you know may.
  • Squatsandbench
    Squatsandbench Posts: 24 Member
    Skimmed milk, banana, low fat yogurt and peanut butter?
  • BradjWilson1993
    BradjWilson1993 Posts: 2 Member
    I bought a blender..use full fat milk and normal scoops of protien (550 cals) 1 banana (90 cals) 2 tablespoons of double cream or 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. (200cals) Blend it all up and leave it in a shaker untill your ready to drink :)
  • Wearedoingthis
    Wearedoingthis Posts: 21 Member
    Azure Standard has really good prices on their brand pea protein powder.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    A 6# bag of Cystosport Muscle Milk whey protein powder sells for just $40; 27g per serving and 80 servings per bag or 50 cents oer serving.

This is the cheapest and most protein per serving that you'l find anywhere unless you can find sonething comparable on sale elsewhere.

The best deal I ever got was for two 5kg (11#) bags of MyProtein whey isolate on sale for about $60/bag (normally $95) with a about 21g proteib per serving, 200 servings per bag for only 30 cents per serving. They are having a 30% off "sale" now (but they seem to always run such "sales"), that'll get that price now.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    A 6# bag of Cystosport Muscle Milk whey protein powder sells for just $40; 27g per serving and 80 servings per bag or 50 cents oer serving.

This is the cheapest and most protein per serving that you'l find anywhere unless you can find sonething comparable on sale elsewhere.

The best deal I ever got was for two 5kg (11#) bags of MyProtein whey isolate on sale for about $60/bag (normally $95) with a about 21g proteib per serving, 200 servings per bag for only 30 cents per serving. They are having a 30% off "sale" now (but they seem to always run such "sales"), that'll get that price now.

The Costco price is by far the best. Unless you happen to find a BOGO on bb.com.
  • cheungmatthew
    cheungmatthew Posts: 1 Member
    Costco - Kaizen Whey
  • willfalconxp
    willfalconxp Posts: 329 Member
    peanut butter, yogurt, milk and a blender
    OR
    peanut butter, skim milk powder (seriously cheap stuff), yogurt, water and a blender