Competition

Options
What is a good body weight goal to consider a first physique comp. ? Considering that the bulking is a lean bulk and going to shoot above the goal comp weight to factor in the cutting also that my height is 5'8" with a 25 inch waist at current 133 lbs I have a long way to go but I'm setting long-term and short term goals, currently been bulking 1 lbs a week and am aware there is fat coming as well. I started at 120 lbs in early May and still look fairly lean at the moment.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Unless you have weight restrictions in your category, aiming for a specific weight isn't a great idea. You need to aim for a certain look - weight isn't a good indication, going by pictures, measurements and caliper readings are better.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Aiming for a weight is a way to either end up fat or a skeleton. Focus on building the physique you need and let the mirror dictate what you do.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. If you post some pictures to get an idea of what sort of muscle mass and bone structure you currently have can help. At 5'8" and 133 pounds you probably are about 15-20 pounds of lean mass from being competitive in a physique show. I'd say at a natural show, the guys in your class will be between 145-165 in weight, maybe up to 170. In an untested organization, it can be anywhere from 145-185 even up to 190.

If you can post some pictures, it'll help get an idea of what sort of longer term goal you can expect to reach naturally.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, I just attended a local body buildibg & physique competition that included an IFBB qualifier.

The "winners" in each weight class definitely have a certain "look." Just Google the Net for pics of IFBB competitors to get an idea of what they are looking for.

IMO it is not a "natural" body type and is not what I aspire to look like but that's just my take on it.
  • My_Legacy_Begins
    My_Legacy_Begins Posts: 8 Member
    Options

This is what I have so far for some picture insight
  • Rammer123
    Options
    Looks solid man.

At 133 you're probably 6-10lbs of fat from being show ready. You're definitely lean, and at a nice place to start a building phase.

I would suggest you take the next 7-8 months to put on some mass, putting on 3-4 pounds a month for the first 3-4 months and then 2-3 pounds a month for the next 3-4 months, for a total of like 22-28 pounds, putting you at about 160ish around next Jan/Feb and then do a show prep to get down to a shredded 145 for a April/May show, I think you could look really solid. Good build for physique, broad shoulders and a small waist. You look naturally skinny so it may be tougher to put on mass but if you put in the work and eat enough, you'll look awesome!
  • My_Legacy_Begins
    Options
    It was hard to gain until I logged my food and just found I was forgetting meals but now am constant at gaining a pound a week so far. I'm trying not to go above that so I can maintain the lean bulk to see how the shape is coming. I've been going for the 165 Mark for bulking so that sounds like a good breakdown man thanks.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    You have a lean frame with good proportions to build off but in all honesty I wouldn't step on stage for at least 1-2 years as you lack the overall muscle mass even for men's physique.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    You have a lean frame with good proportions to build off but in all honesty I wouldn't step on stage for at least 1-2 years as you lack the overall muscle mass even for men's physique.

Have you see a natural competition? Most guys aren't that big in physique. A guy that comes in shredded that looks decent usually will win in a local natural show.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Have you see a natural competition? Most guys aren't that big in physique. A guy that comes in shredded that looks decent usually will win in a local natural show.

You mean a "tested" show? The physique guys are still solid. I think there is a "fitness" category below that in our biggest "natural" fed, with guys looking a little more like the OP.
  • Rammer123
    Options

You mean a "tested" show? The physique guys are still solid. I think there is a "fitness" category below that in our biggest "natural" fed, with guys looking a little more like the OP.

Not sure what else a natural show would mean?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Just because it's tested doesn't mean they're natural unfortunately.... It should.
  • Rammer123
    Options

Just because it's tested doesn't mean they're natural unfortunately.... It should.

Ahh haha yesss I didn't realize what you were implying.

Yeah Doug Miller is "natural" haha
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

For the OP and a tested/natural show I still wouldn't put him anywhere close to stage ready for one to two years.
    Here's a few guys from our local natural (tested and polygraphed) show. It's by height and these guys are all in the OP's class:
    qpls2ug07tz7.jpg
    o0b2xe08tdiz.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^

yeppers.

not ready for quiet some time- unless you're ready to step on stage- comfortable you will likely lose and you're doing it for the experience.

At my gym I've watched girls decide they want to compete - start lifting and do bikini- or go on gear and do figure- sometimes push for physique- which kills me- b/c in a year even on gear that's a stretch.

Hysterically though- I was talking to some of the guys at my gym- the opinion being mens physique = womens bikini- just how good you look for the beach ready- no wheels- and a lot "softer" than the straight up body building.
  • My_Legacy_Begins
    Options
    Honestly my goal is long term to just compete before I'm 30, I'm 23 right now. I am not going to jump in without feeling ready but it really is for the experience. I want to put in the work as hard as I can and just see what I can achieve. There is a ton to be done and to grow and I think that timeframe layout was just not saying by next year I would be ready to win but be able to have a beginning. And I would have to do a natural show sorry I wasn't all the way specific. Thank you all for the help and giving all the insight on the actual competing part. Of you all know any threads with info on the ins and out that someone can read that would be much appreciated
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Honestly my goal is long term to just compete before I'm 30, I'm 23 right now. I am not going to jump in without feeling ready but it really is for the experience. I want to put in the work as hard as I can and just see what I can achieve. There is a ton to be done and to grow and I think that timeframe layout was just not saying by next year I would be ready to win but be able to have a beginning. And I would have to do a natural show sorry I wasn't all the way specific. Thank you all for the help and giving all the insight on the actual competing part. Of you all know any threads with info on the ins and out that someone can read that would be much appreciated

Why?
    Honestly, as a natural competitor, I'd rather jump on stage in an untested show knowing what I was up against than a natural show where most people aren't.... It makes no difference (I've won in both tested/untested)

I somewhat agree with having somewhere to start, and if you wait until you're ready, you'll never get there as you'll never really be happy with where you're at. But.... I would take another couple of years to grow and thicken your muscles. Also be prepared to take time off between show seasons to grow and develop - many competitors get in to a comp mindset of doing show after show, which give a you no real time to improve your physique.
  • trigden1991
    Options

Why?
    Honestly, as a natural competitor, I'd rather jump on stage in an untested show knowing what I was up against than a natural show where most people aren't.... It makes no difference (I've won in both tested/untested)

I somewhat agree with having somewhere to start, and if you wait until you're ready, you'll never get there as you'll never really be happy with where you're at. But.... I would take another couple of years to grow and thicken your muscles. Also be prepared to take time off between show seasons to grow and develop - many competitors get in to a comp mindset of doing show after show, which give a you no real time to improve your physique.

Because a natural male is highly unlikely to win an untested competition.

Women's competitions are a different kettle of fish.