How important are protein shakes? I'm a beginner who wants to gain weight (at least 8 kgs).

Options
I'm a beginner who wants to gain weight (at least 8 kgs) and look bigger.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a good addition to your diet if you can't eat enough protein through food.
    They have calories just like other protein sources.

If you're trying to gain, you need to eat in a calorie surplus along with weight training (assuming you're trying to gain muscle and not just fat). Some people struggle to eat sufficient calories - if you're one of these people, adding a protein shake (made in to a smoothie with other ingredients to add more cals) may be a good option to bump up calories as drinking cals is often easier than eating them.
  • sawguoyi923
    sawguoyi923 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You should in general eat more, assuming you wouldn't mind getting the 8kg (some from fat). Protein shakes are relatively low in calories, and only help to hit protein macros, they're around 150-ish calories per scoop, not much possible weigh gain from that.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Hit your macro goals. If that involves using protein shakes then ok, if not, that is great too.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There are calculators to tell you how much minimum protein you should be getting regularly. If memory serves, ~0.8g*(goal weight in pounds) or ~1g*(pounds lean body mass) -ish. Some people aim for higher than that (I don't). If you have trouble meeting that, than yes protein shakes are a pretty good option (this is more likely to happen for those in a deficit than bulking. In a calorie surplus, you'll probably have room left for the fat in that much-yummier-than-protein-powder steak).
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are only needed if you can't hit your protein goals. Some of them can and do have a good amount of carbs in them as well so it may help you hit that macro as well. If you hit your macros without protein shakes then you don't need them. I, personally, have issues hitting my macros for protein without the shakes.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I take it as a supplement to the food I eat. I don't eat a lot of meat so protein shakes help me with my macros. And I find protein shakes to be rather tasty! :)

If you're someone who doesn't eat a lot of meat and you can't reach your protein goal then a Protein shake helps you in increasing your protein intake. Check your macros ---do you need it?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    They are a supplement so should be used to supplement your diet if you are short of hitting your protein goal. There is no requirement for them.