Losing 5.7 stone with a 1 year old without starving myself and keeping it off (pictures included)

So I knew I put on weight being with my partner, meeting him at 11 stone I had now grown to a curvy 14 stone but what did he expect we ate out all the time, cuddled watching movies eating snacks, all our activities somehow included food. I put it down to being in a happy relationship and I could always go on a diet next week.
Well I could before finding out I was pregnant with our first child and within a month of being pregnant I put another stone on. So now at 15 stone, feeling self conscious and with my body changing with the pregnancy as well let's just say I wasn't at my happiest.

At 24 weeks pregnant I got diagnosed with gestational diabetes, I was horrified I felt if I had eaten better maybe this wouldn't of happen. I was putting my baby at risk because I couldn't control my eating so I saw a diabetic nurse who helped me by letting me know what I could eat and what I couldn't. For the sake of my baby I wasn't going to touch anything that would set off my diabetes and I didn't. At the end of my pregnancy I was down to 14 stone, I didn't intend to lose weight but by cutting sugar out I did lose weight. A healthy 7.15 pound baby girl was born and I was on a pretty good health kick. Until the life of a breast feeding parent kick in, I didn't have time to cook healthy meals I ate when I could which was often quick and easy things as the smell of any food would make my daughter hungry so I had a few minutes to scoff something then feed her again. In this time I ballooned to 16 stone my heaviest weight my BMI was obese and I was in a serious risk of getting type 2 diabetes.

It was only when my husband said to me I love your personality but I don't find you attractive anymore that I knew I had to lose weight. He was willing to stay with me because of our daughter and my personality but we couldn't be physical. Not only did I hate my body but so did the man I love. I couldn't wear certain clothes and when summer came around I would rather have sweat marks in a long sleeve top then show my arms. So I tried slim fast which lasted all of 2 weeks I couldn't stick to it but I did lose 6 pounds. Then by chance I came across myfitnesspal I could eat what I wanted but moderation so I could have chocolate but weigh out an amount instead of eating the whole bar. When I feel like I can't have something it makes me crave it more so with this diet I can eat what I wanted but I had to weigh it first it seemed easy enough and the first 2 stone fell off.

I definitely had times where I would gain or stay the same but getting into the 13 stones was hard I'm not sure of it was a mental block or the fact I just didn't feel good yet. 2 stone is a lot but it didn't stop the fact I was still over weight and no one had really noticed a difference in me as I was still wearing my baggy old clothes. So I bought an exercise bike I thought if I'm sitting watching tv while my daughter is in bed I might as well be moving my legs and it worked I got into the 13 stones. I started doing 30 minutes a night then 60 minute then 90 minutes sometimes I would be watching something really good forget I'm working out and I'd look down and be like woah stop now. It's what worked for me I was averaging a 2 pound loss per week, but when I got to 11 stone I had a lot of comments about my weight loss some good some not so. With all weight loss expect negative feedback some people aren't used to you looking thin. That's their problem not yours, I was told to stop I looked too thin but I still had a stone to go, I had a goal.

My husband was now and for a while loving the improved body and we became very close again (which helped with weight loss too). I finally got into a size 10 jeans which I only dreamed about and at 10 and a half stone I felt really happy with myself. Not only had I lost weight but I was doing a couple walks a week with my family and friends, my diet had adapted the food I loved so I could eat it in a healthy way so once my diet was over I wouldn't put the weight back on as this was my new lifestyle that made me happy. It wasn't a chore anymore to weigh something out or jump on the bike, it was weird if I didn't. When I met my goal of 10 stone I was so happy, it was my achievement I was no longer at risk for diabetes, I did something my daughter could be proud of me for, something I could be proud off and this is the first summer I wore short sleeve tshirts and short and not a sweat mark in sight :D it took a year and a half but it was worth every single minute.

Replies

• debisjazz
    debisjazz Posts: 115 Member
    What an awesome story of strength! Good for you!
    And your after photo! Your waist is so defined!
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    YAY 77lbs gone forever! Well done you, I find it tricky enough sometimes but for a BF'ing mum I imagine it's far more difficult. And yet you're here with your success! Congratulations :)
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    PS I've been thinking about dying my armpit hair green. :)
  • commsgirl2016
    commsgirl2016 Posts: 30 Member
    Charlotte, thank you for such an inspiring post.
    My journey to where I am now is similiar to yours in that I've been with OH for years and put a few stones on with one two many cosy nights in/nights out with too many drinks and then greasy food. DD came along six years ago and more cosy nights in with pringles etc.
    Being overweight I was tested for gestational diabetes and found out after having DD that I was borderline. Wish they had told me, I wouldn't have sat at working eating haribo's with my maternity replacement!
    Fast forward nearly six years and I've seen the scales climb and climb and kept fooling myself into believing I was happy until May when something clicked and I realised I was becoming depressed and needed to sort myself out with no excuses.
    I'm currently down 18lb although think I have a bit of water retention this week because I was a couple of pounds lighter a few days before and feeling so motivated that I can do it this time. I'm starting to feel happier and even considering picking my career up because I wont look as frumpy in interview suits soon (think I've just found my next mini goal) Goal one was to loose a stone, goal two is to get to the weight at my booking in appointment almost 6 years ago and maybe I now have my next goal now which is a new suit in a size smaller :-)
    I've tried to loose weight in the past and normally stumble around the three months mark which is coming up soon but I'm going to find your post when I think I'm about to fall off and tell myself I can do it.
    I'm a bit bigger than when you started your weight loss but aim to loose around 80lb.
    Big well done and thank you.
  • charlotte1292
    charlotte1292 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm so glad that my story was able to help you, and I definitely found little goals helped me and each little goals adds up to a huge achievement, my pictures helped me a lot too sometimes it is hard to see how far you have come but if you pictures staring you in the face it's easy to see
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    You lost weight- you look amazing-
  • Mummytofitmummy
    Mummytofitmummy Posts: 83 Member
    Well done on your weight loss! Really amazing.
    I put on a lot after kids. Not because of the kids but the tiredness after. I bf too.

I've been a little over two weeks into the lifestyle change and your story inspires me.
    Can I ask, did you have any loose skin? Your stomach seems flat as anything. I'm concerned about my stomach and upper arms.
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    I have goosepimples, you have done so well!
  • potatowhoruns
    potatowhoruns Posts: 87 Member
    Absolutely amazing! Well done for all you have achieved. You look incredible :)
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Amazing weight loss well done :D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Amazing weight loss well done :D

How did you find this zombie thread @imabeevampire ???
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!