Recomp Question

Hey all - quick question. I've been doing PHUL + a recomp for about 10 weeks now. I'm seeing some changes in muscle definition all over my body which I love. I was successfully maintaining my weight around 138-139 for the first 8 weeks or so, but these last two weeks, I've suddenly jumped up to 141-142 (and by suddenly, I mean suddenly... no slow buildup to a 3-4 lb increase, it was just there one day and has stuck around for a few weeks). Is this normal? I've talked with other people and they say recomp is a very dynamic process... slow to start and then boom, results. I wasn't expecting these results to be weight gain as I'm trying to maintain just south of 140.

My stats are: female, 5'8", currently 141 lbs, 30 min walk 4x/week on average, 75 minutes of yoga 3-4 days per week, and PHUL 4x/week. I maintain on 2,500 calories, and with my recomp I've been eating +15% (2,875) on PHUL training days and -10% (2,250) on non-training days.

Should I be expecting this weight gain with a recomp, or does that mean I'm eating too much?

Any insight is much appreciated - thanks! xoxo

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    probably water weight retention ...

are you accurately tracking/logging all of your calories?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I'm seeing some changes in muscle definition all over my body which I love.
    Well done!

I was successfully maintaining my weight around 138-139 for the first 8 weeks or so, but these last two weeks, I've suddenly jumped up to 141-142 (and by suddenly, I mean suddenly... no slow buildup to a 3-4 lb increase, it was just there one day and has stuck around for a few weeks). Is this normal?
    I've never heard of that situation or experienced it.

I've talked with other people and they say recomp is a very dynamic process...

I find it a gradual and pretty linear process.

slow to start and then boom, results.
    One explanation would be that it's hard to see much in the way of definition changes while you have a fat covering. Lose that covering and suddenly you see definition, vascularity, separation.... Doesn't mean your muscle growth has suddenly accelerated - just you can see it for the first time.
    It's why measurements and photos give another perspective.

I wasn't expecting these results to be weight gain as I'm trying to maintain just south of 140.
    I wouldn't expect that after 8 weeks holding steady either!

Should I be expecting this weight gain with a recomp, or does that mean I'm eating too much?

No and maybe.... Worth rechecking your logging accuracy/consistency. Also worth giving it a few more weeks to see if it goes equally suddenly. I wouldn't decrease cals just yet.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Since majority of daily burn is daily activity and BMR - could your activity level have changed?

Now - no way that is the reason for a quick 2-3 lb gain which is water weight - perhaps you had a water weight increase while decrease in daily activity - so water weight left and fat weight came on.

Still a rather drastic change though to hold on to for 2 weeks - that would imply TDEE lowered by a pretty big amount, between 250-500.
    Not impossible, but still, in summer? (if it's summer for you)

Or could be your workouts have increased a notch and more water retained from stress and perhaps lack of recovery.
    No problems with progress in program?
    I know, rather short time to discern.

• kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Yep! Weighing/measuring everything, errday!
  • ndj1979
    kzooyogi wrote: »

is your activity level the same?

have you been eating foods higher in sodium?
  • kzooyogi
    heybales wrote: »
    Since majority of daily burn is daily activity and BMR - could your activity level have changed?

Now - no way that is the reason for a quick 2-3 lb gain which is water weight - perhaps you had a water weight increase while decrease in daily activity - so water weight left and fat weight came on.

Still a rather drastic change though to hold on to for 2 weeks - that would imply TDEE lowered by a pretty big amount, between 250-500.

Or could be your workouts have increased a notch and more water retained from stress and perhaps lack of recovery.

I've been progressing pretty regularly since starting. Last week I had a "weak" week, where I wasn't able to even lift as much as I had the week prior, let alone increase. Chatted with a friend about this and she said it was normal - happened to her every once in a while too.

I have noticed that my soreness is sticking around a lot longer, so perhaps it is in fact water hanging around helping in the repair process. I also have felt just plain exhausted the last week or two, and definitely wasn't giving myself enough recovery time. This weekend, aside from replacing my deck and doing some other yard work things, I did zero formal working out and got great sleep and finally woke up without feeling muscle soreness.

I should add that when I hopped on the scale this morning, it was 139.6 lbs, where just yesterday is was a solid 142.0.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017

I've been progressing pretty regularly since starting. Last week I had a "weak" week, where I wasn't able to even lift as much as I had the week prior, let alone increase. Chatted with a friend about this and she said it was normal - happened to her every once in a while too.

I have noticed that my soreness is sticking around a lot longer, so perhaps it is in fact water hanging around helping in the repair process. I also have felt just plain exhausted the last week or two, and definitely wasn't giving myself enough recovery time. This weekend, aside from replacing my deck and doing some other yard work things, I did zero formal working out and got great sleep and finally woke up without feeling muscle soreness.

I should add that when I hopped on the scale this morning, it was 139.6 lbs, where just yesterday is was a solid 142.0.
    10 weeks. Hmmm may be time for a deload.

If it sticks around much longer, it's probably time for a deload... Does the program you're using have programmed Deload cycles?
  • kzooyogi

If it sticks around much longer, it's probably time for a deload... Does the program you're using have programmed Deload cycles?

No, it doesn't. How do I know when to deload, by how much, and for how long?
  • kzooyogi

is your activity level the same?

have you been eating foods higher in sodium?

I think so. I've been teaching a lot of extra yoga classes lately and therefore haven't been able to practice myself as much anymore, but I've been trying to be as active as I can.

As far as the salt intake, I am guilty of always going over my sodium, but at the same time always try to drink plenty of water to help counteract it.
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    Did a heat wave come recently? Personally, I don't know why but I find I have about 3-5 lbs that shows up in the peak of summer and sticks around until fall. Its happened for the past 4 years of meticulously tracking by body weight.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/experts-body-wieght-ambient-temperature/
  • ndj1979

When you start feeling weak and beat up - basically what you were describing...

Cut your workouts in half - weight or reps - for a week and focus on active rest - usually one to two de-loads per every three months....
  • kzooyogi

Cut your workouts in half - weight or reps - for a week and focus on active rest - usually one to two de-loads per every three months....

Thanks so much. I deloaded today and don't feel so depleted after the gym. I appreciate the advice a lot. Last question - do I still eat my 15% more on training days? And when I finish the deload, do I go back to where I left off, or do I gradually increase again?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    So your difference in TDEE by just the workout time is minimal, obviously the repair calorie needs after the workout isn't as great since active rest.
    But the amount of difference for time spent lifting is minimal - don't worry about it.

If the 15% over TDEE and 10% under TDEE still averages out to TDEE for the week - keep it up - your body will know what to do with the slight extra calories.

You should come out of this stronger.

Go back to prior working weight - possibly know you'll be sore longer for first week on all sessions. Maybe not.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    (and by suddenly, I mean suddenly... no slow buildup to a 3-4 lb increase, it was just there one day and has stuck around for a few weeks).

i'm not formally recomping and don't know anything about the technicalities of it, really. but i started this year just on the wrong side of 140 and have been geeeeeently trying to coax my weight downwards while coaxing my lifting weights to go up.

this has been very normal for me. in my half-assed-approach head, 3 or 4 pounds is just about exactly the range of day-to-day fluctuation i 'set' for myself. overall my weight has still dropped by close to 10 pounds at this point. i think in my mind i set 5 as a sign that i'm eating a little too much and i need to recalibrate.
  • ndj1979

Thanks so much. I deloaded today and don't feel so depleted after the gym. I appreciate the advice a lot. Last question - do I still eat my 15% more on training days? And when I finish the deload, do I go back to where I left off, or do I gradually increase again?

Yes, keep your intake the same.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

You can use the deload as either a reset or a rest.

No doubt you'll get conflicting advice, but neither option is strictly speaking wrong.

As a reset, you'll return to gradual increases.

As a rest, you can return to your working weight.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    You didn't mention age, that's another factor that can be huge in the amount of rest your body needs.

To your rest week/deload question. Some people take a week off completely and then resume their program right where they left off, often feeling stronger than before the break. It's pretty much standard practice for powerlifters to take a week off before a meet, they wouldn't do that if it made them weaker. For a deload, you can deload (10%-20%) on all lifts, or maybe just the lift you are struggling with and build from there every 12 weeks or so, or when you stall.
  • kzooyogi
    You didn't mention age, that's another factor that can be huge in the amount of rest your body needs.

To your rest week/deload question. Some people take a week off completely and then resume their program right where they left off, often feeling stronger than before the break. It's pretty much standard practice for powerlifters to take a week off before a meet, they wouldn't do that if it made them weaker. For a deload, you can deload (10%-20%) on all lifts, or maybe just the lift you are struggling with and build from there every 12 weeks or so, or when you stall.

That's a good point. I'm 27.

I did a bit of searching on deloading and decided that a good deload for me would be to lift at 60% of my 1RM. I did that yesterday and actually left the gym feeling energized, not depleted.

Thanks so much for the input - much appreciated!