Splits

After years of "maintenance" cause that's what we call it nowadays. I was just going to the gym and staying in shape, about a month ago just before I turned 50, I thought why not go back to the heavy lifting and eating better. I did a bodybuilding show about 10 years ago and loved the workouts but I'm remembering doing split routines, hitting the gym first thing in the morning and then again after work. Some days it was a total of 5 hours a day in the gym. Do people still train that way? I've been looking at some the training programs and there is are a lot. I'm thinking if by September I can get my body fat % down, I'll do a show in Dec.

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    There are still bros that do am/pm splits. Not that there's anything wrong with it. You've competed before, so you know what you're getting into. The various programs out now are because not many people want to hit 2-a-days anymore because of life stuff, efficiency, don't have that kind of time, think they need gear to survive the volume, etc. But do what works man. 5 month prep doesn't sound horrible. Good luck!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about doing the splits. I will now creep out and pretend I was never here...

Maybe I should have called it 2 workouts a day
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    blakejohn wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about doing the splits. I will now creep out and pretend I was never here...

Maybe I should have called it 2 workouts a day

Much appreciated
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Bwahahahha!!! :D:D:D
  • blakejohn

Thanks now I've been stuck on floor trying to do a split

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    blakejohn wrote: »

Thanks now I've been stuck on floor trying to do a split

Pics or it didn't happen
  • blakejohn
    38mjrakyb5wb.jpg
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    I got excited as well reading the title thinking it was a thread about the struggle to get to front and middle splits and that people would be sharing about how freakin difficult it is to get to those stretches.

I dream of the day when flexibility issues get as much attention as lifting weights issues.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    I expected this would be about macro splitting, but I hoped it would be about doing the splits. I am so close and yet so faaaaaaaaar to managing full sit-down-and-relax-while-showing-off middle splits.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    I expected this would be about macro splitting, but I hoped it would be about doing the splits. I am so close and yet so faaaaaaaaar to managing full sit-down-and-relax-while-showing-off middle splits.

LOL I had expected that it would be what it is... but I was so hoping that it would be a diagnosis/discussion of Flexibility training...Because I'm a huge fan.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Slinks out to go practice my side splits.....
  • blakejohn
    Slinks out to go practice my side splits.....

just like that you split

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    I don't see any problem with AM/PM workouts as long as each muscle group gets the right amount of rest for the weekly volume, go for it. I can't work a split joke in, I'm sad about it. :(
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    OP, I wouldn't start with the plan for 2 workouts a day right off. You said that it's been 10 years and that you are about to turn 50. Start a bit slower, unless you've been doing regular workouts of some kind already. Try once a day at first and listen to your body. You hopefully still remember the difference between the "oh yeah, one more set" and the "OK, I'm done now" feelings.

I've seen my husband repeatedly try to get back into the lifting he used to do (granted, in high school) and overdo it the first week, be non-functional for a week after, then quit. Don't make that mistake :wink:

And when you work leg day, don't forget to stretch out. Those splits!
  • blakejohn
    mathjulz wrote: »
    OP, I wouldn't start with the plan for 2 workouts a day right off. You said that it's been 10 years and that you are about to turn 50. Start a bit slower, unless you've been doing regular workouts of some kind already. Try once a day at first and listen to your body. You hopefully still remember the difference between the "oh yeah, one more set" and the "OK, I'm done now" feelings.

I've seen my husband repeatedly try to get back into the lifting he used to do (granted, in high school) and overdo it the first week, be non-functional for a week after, then quit. Don't make that mistake :wink:

And when you work leg day, don't forget to stretch out. Those splits!

Thanks for the advice and I turned 50 the last day in June. I've been working out on the regular from about 18 years of age. I just don't always eat right. I like your advice and I think I'll map out a plan. then split it