What do you wish you had known (going into maintenance)?

Like a crazy silent stalker, I haunt this board the most - as this is where I apparently trip up. I have lost big in the past, 130 pounds, and I have always maintained at least 80 pounds to the good. BUT. I want to maintain at 120 or 130 to the good... => So I read this forum the most and have been absorbing.

My question is - what do you wish you had known as you approached maintenance and when you actually made it and had to 'round the bend? I am 20 down, 30 to go to maintenance. *This* time - I want to do what I have never done...prepare and expect to continue a plan.

Thanks all - you are so awesome!

Replies

• raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 689 Member
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer! I love this forum and come to it often to get good advice and hear/read the real scoopola on maintaining. Lots of great info!
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    I agree with all that's been said here so far. The one thing that I wish I'd known going into maintenance was that I didn't have to panic! I was so determined that my weight loss this time would be for life. I'd done exactly what you have been doing OP - stalking the maintenance board for ages before I got there, absorbing advice, and setting up a plan in my head, but I panicked for a long time that once I'd hit my goal weight it was all going to go badly wrong and I'd quickly end up putting weight back on again. It's been just over a year for me now: I've kept up the good eating and exercise habits that I'd formed while losing - they are what keep me firmly in maintenance, but they are also so much a part of my daily life now that I can't imagine a time when I wouldn't still prioritise them. But I've also only recently realised that because of exactly that I can relax and enjoy it more. I think it's very easy to get overly obsessed with everything (been there, done that, seen it a lot in others too!) but there's really no need. Trust yourself - don't think 'hooray, got here, done it, can go back to how it was now', but think 'hooray, got here, done it, this is how it is now' - and you'll do fine. I found it more of a mental adjustment than anything else.
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    I also want to thank everyone who posted as I will soon be in maintenance also and these post have helped me a lot

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    slaite1 wrote: »
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    For me, I wish I would have known about body recomps and that your body can still get smaller even though you are staying in the same weight range and eating your maintenance cals.

When I reached my goal I was happy with my body and very proud of my transformation and hard work. I did have some loose skin but I figured (hoped) some would go away over time. Being overweight most of my life and slightly older I wasn't sure if my skin would firm up or not. Plus I wanted to be able to wear a bikini for the first time in my life.

During my first year of maintenance I got a whole new wardrobe. With my new body I need to get my non-stretchy clothes tailored and nipped in the core area to fit my shape.

Over year two I ended up losing another size and inches. I had to get a lot of those clothes tailored again because they were now baggy in my waist area. Had I known my body could still lean out without trying, I would have waited.

Lastly during year 4 of maintenance my lower stomach finally tighten up and now I'm able to rock that bikini comfortably and confidently!

It has been amazing seeing my body change and improve as each year passes by. :)

Good luck!

I wanted to cheer reading this. You say everything so casually, but you're talking in years-which is so difficult for many people to comprehend! Amazing job!

Thank you so much for your kind words! Keep up the amazing job yourself! :)