how much of a surplus to build muscle?

Super_Moose93
Super_Moose93 Posts: 5 Member
when I get to my goal weight of 100kg I want to start building muscle and get stronger but I don't want to eat too much and get fat again.

what is a sufficient surplus to eat at for good muscle development?

Replies

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    The short answer is that it will depend, but in general, you'll be talking about the 250-500 calories per day range. You will have to decide how much fat you are comfortable putting on with the muscle. It is coming on at about 53/47 muscle/fat for me.

The most important thing you can do is start lifting right now, don't wait.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    10% of TDEE is where I start most people.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Anything from 10-25% would be a good start. See how your body reacts and adjust accordingly.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Problem is, the idea of strong muscle development and avoiding fat are a bit at odds. More calories will mean faster muscle growth but more fat. Obviously there is a point at which additional calories don't help, but just recognize there is a downside to trying to minimize the surplus to avoid fat.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    dhimaan wrote: »
    Anything from 10-25% would be a good start. See how your body reacts and adjust accordingly.

25% is not a good place to start. Maintenance after a long period of dieting should be implemented before a moderate surplus introduced (10-15%).
  • pigheaded
    pigheaded Posts: 3,083 Member
    There is no reason you can't lift heavy while in a deficit and build strength. Don't need to wait until you hit an arbitrary weight. May not have much muscle growth, but you can get stronger. That's what I am doing. I would also focus on fat loss not weight loss.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Technically, zero. A recomp has you eating at maintenance Calories, consuming adequate protein (for recomp, ~1 g/lb BW is decent), and strength training progressively so that you maintain weight, but add muscle while losing fat. It tends to be rather slow (slower than a standard bulk, anyway), but works.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    The short answer is that it will depend, but in general, you'll be talking about the 250-500 calories per day range. You will have to decide how much fat you are comfortable putting on with the muscle. It is coming on at about 53/47 muscle/fat for me.

How's this 'woo', anybody?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited July 2017

Meh, 3/4 of the people on this board think "woo" means "Super Yay!" - even the owners of the forum tricked people and changed it to mean two things (polar opposites) after they implemented it.
  • Rusty740
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Meh, 3/4 of the people on this board think "woo" means "Super Yay!" - even the owners of the forum tricked people and changed it to mean two things (polar opposites) after they implemented it.

I'll go with "Super Yay!" ;)