OHP

Options
When you're struggling with say the last 2 reps of a finishing set on OHP... is it acceptable to push press to get it up? I know it's not the same exactly.. or would it be better to fail? Or set the bar down and see if you could squeeze out the last two after a quick break?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I would use fractional plates before ever push pressing in exchange for OHP. Also I eould add volume through either back off set(s) and/or frequency depending on the reason why I was failing at my reps.

*edit to add I might add more rest time in between sets and check form as well.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on your goals here.
  • nlwrfa
    nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight.. I'm 6'1 female and at 303. So right now my goals are losing weight (through nutrition) and to minimize loose skin and muscle loss (through lifting). I feel fine and knock out the first few sets with struggle, but when I get to that last set (5x5), last two I just have been failing to get without having to put the bar down and rest. I'm able to do only the bar currently so there really isn't a fractional option. The place I lift doesn't have a 33lb bar.
  • pigheaded
    pigheaded Posts: 3,083 Member
    Options
    Do they have a curling bar? Can always substitute dumbells.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    If a push press helps you get the bar overhead the last couple of reps do it.

Just recognize that you are not doing all the reps w/pure strength and are using momentum to help complete those final reps.

The goal would then to complete all reps in the future w/o using the push press. When that is achieved, then add more wt as appropriate to your ability.