First Competition

Options
So as the title suggests, I am going to be competing in my first competition soon. After talking with several people I've decided to go figure. However, I am in college and cannot afford the trainer I was originally going to go with. Does anyone have any advice on meal, workout or supplement plans?

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Do you have any pictures of yourself now? When is your show?

Have the people you've been talking to done a competition themselves? Having people around you or people you can talk to that understand what you're going through at different points in prep can help a lot.
  • boyson3
    boyson3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm going to be doing my first show in February....if you want you can add me for support or accountability, Boyson3
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Australia this October, competing for the first time. My first goal was lose weight. Then I wanted to build muscles. I lost weight without a nutritionist or a trainer. But later I realized that training for a completion is completely different story. I had to get a nutritionist. It's a bit pricey but you can do fundraising from friends and family. Instagram is a good way to put yourself out there.
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    I'm going to Australia this October, competing for the first time. My first goal was lose weight. Then I wanted to build muscles. I lost weight without a nutritionist or a trainer. But later I realized that training for a completion is completely different story. I had to get a nutritionist. It's a bit pricey but you can do fundraising from friends and family. Instagram is a good way to put yourself out there.

Please don't. Do you expect your friends and family to pay for other hobbies you choose to do?

Why not? Why not people help each other out? People help each other and support each other all the time. What's wrong with it? Competing and accomplishing something is inspiring to all. People can pitch in $10, $20 , what's the big deal?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Why couldn't she go, spend less, and have the learning experience for next time?
    Anyone?
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Please don't. Do you expect your friends and family to pay for other hobbies you choose to do?

Why not? Why not people help each other out? People help each other and support each other all the time. What's wrong with it? Competing and accomplishing something is inspiring to all. People can pitch in $10, $20 , what's the big deal?

It's sleazy. You are going into this knowing it could cost upwards of $1000 and you don't see a problem with asking people to pay to make your whim come true. It's like the girl who set up a go fund me asking others to buy her a house because she doesn't feel like she should have to. Your frivolous dream is not a necessity others should fund.

There's a little difference between buying a house and going to a competition, I think lol. I don't see any problems with asking a little help from people achieving something inspirational. If you could afford to go on a competition, power to you! Some people need help, especially students. It's a shame if this young woman can't achieve her dreams because of financial barriers.
    I've seen many Olympic athletes, World champions started their journey with fundraising events. I remember ESPN fully supported one girl who was in poverty to become a world champion body builder.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

It's sleazy. You are going into this knowing it could cost upwards of $1000 and you don't see a problem with asking people to pay to make your whim come true. It's like the girl who set up a go fund me asking others to buy her a house because she doesn't feel like she should have to. Your frivolous dream is not a necessity others should fund.

There's a little difference between buying a house and going to a competition, I think lol. I don't see any problems with asking a little help from people achieving something inspirational. If you could afford to go on a competition, power to you! Some people need help, especially students. It's a shame if this young woman can't achieve her dreams because of financial barriers.
    I've seen many Olympic athletes, World champions started their journey with fundraising events. I remember ESPN fully supported one girl who was in poverty to become a world champion body builder.

When I went to college, I wanted to get into a competitive hobby. I lived a bare necessity minimum lifestyle and still couldn't afford it. My family told me before that point that they wouldn't lend me money for any reason. Even an emergency. So I had to let it go in the name of survival.

You're very lucky to have people in your life that will help you with something that isn't a life necessity. Not everyone has that kind of support, and so relying on others may not be realistic for other people.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Spend a grand to win a $5 trophy.

Think about it.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

Think about it.

If you manage to place...
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

Think about it.

If you manage to place...

Everybody gets a "Participation" trophy nowadays.

participation-trophy-e1471645194166-376x400.jpg

• 357TJ
    357TJ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I mean, if we're going to go down that route surely every elite athlete who trains hard is doing something unnatural and unhealthy. Shall we cancel the next Olympics? Christmas run of The Nutcracker ballet?
    I mean, if we're going to go down that route surely every elite athlete who trains hard is doing something unnatural and unhealthy. Shall we cancel the next Olympics? Christmas.:...

This is incorrect!!! And rather presumptuous of you to say that elite athletes do this r those who compete and train hard do some type of illegal thing!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    357TJ wrote: »
    I mean, if we're going to go down that route surely every elite athlete who trains hard is doing something unnatural and unhealthy. Shall we cancel the next Olympics? Christmas run of The Nutcracker ballet?

This is incorrect!!! And rather presumptuous of you to say that elite athletes do this r those who compete and train hard do some type of illegal thing!

She was replying to a comment that was later removed, so it looks out of context. You also read the comment wrong if you think she was saying all athletes do something illegal and competitions should be banned.