Workout motivation

Since Feb. 2015 I have lost 105lbs. When I first began I was highly motivated with my exercise program, even going to the gym after a 12 hour work day. Now that I have reache, and surpassed, my original goals, I sometimes find it hard to stay motivated with the exercise. I have not and will not slip back in to bad eating habits but I also want to be fit, especially at age 62. So what do you all do to stay motivated with exercise?

Replies

• ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Find something you think is fun. Zumba or swimming or walking the dog. Something like that.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    I look at my wobbly triceps and think to myself, "well, that's not going to improve on its own." I also found a few activities I enjoy, and I end up doing one of them every day. I started jogging, I go to a Zumba class, and I bought a nice road bike. Last week I took my first weightlifting class. If I don't want to do those things, I invite my husband for a three mile walk in a nearby park. It's nice being outside.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Congratulations on your success. Now comes the tough part. You have to reset a goal that's going to motivate you. That new goal can't be about the kids or your significant other it has to be totally about you. Don't be scared to set a crazy goal or dream you're the only one who knows what it is do you want to run a half marathon or did you just want to look in the mirror and go damn I look good.

As far as finding something that motivates you what do you enjoy doing. incorporate that into your workout.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I want to be fit at 62 and beyond. I want to do the things I can do now, and more. I don't want to go back where I was. If that's not enough, visit a nursing home . It should give you a reality check.

Just develop some good habits and follow them for reasons stated above. I don't have to feel motivated on any given day to follow my plan. I just do it.

Age 62, 150 lost 2014-2016. Maintaining about 9 months.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    I am 55, lost 60#, maintaining for over 4 years. I wanted to do boy push ups, so worked toward that. Now I am a power lifter, participating in meets and everything. Find a challenge you want to conquer...not how you look, but what you want to do. BTW...push ups are part of my warm up now. It took me over a year to do one. I have been working on pull ups for over 2 years...still can't do one, but some day...
    congratulations on your success!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Wow, congrats on your loss.

I'm with @lorrpb. At 62 you want to be doing the things you can now do at 72 and beyond.

I am turning 64 in a couple of weeks and there is no way I would give up doing all the fun things I can do.

Got to admit I don't particularly like exercising, but the thought of how fast my body would likely decline if I didn't is really scary and enough to get me to the gym, the pool, an exercise class, or just walking in the great outdoors for an hour 6 days a week.

A lot of the time the motivation isn't there but determination and comitment see me through.

cheers, h.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Well done on that huge success.

I really enjoy my exercise and the results I get from it. Main activities are weights in a gym (one of the three gym memberships I currently have active...) and cycling outdoors.

It's no chore to do something you actively enjoy. I'm also very self-competitive and love challenging myself.
    Those elements haven't changed at all over the years but now as I'm 57 I've added the desire to have as many good years as possible in the best of health.

That's reinforced on the long cycling events I do where there's plenty way older than me, fit, healthy, alert and full of joie de vivre.