Anorexia

I know we'd all like to lose weight, as am I, but I have a friend who is anorexic and I wouldn't wish the affliction on anybody! She is 5ft 8" and weighs 42 kilos (which I think is about 6stone 3lbs).
Can her husband use this app to help her? We'd like to get her to eat at least 1000 calories a day because the lbs are dropping off her daily and I don't thin she'll live much longer at this weight. She just refuses to eat anything - even the Fortisip drinks her GP gives her.
I used to be envious of her effortless slimness - but not any more!

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited July 2017
    42 kilos = 93 lbs. At 5'8" the help she needs is way beyond what this app can do,especially since you say that she's refusing to eat. And if she does eat, having her count calories could very easily backfire and make her bulimic if she isn't already. Please get her immediate medical attention.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Agree that she needs an in-patient medical evaluation. Sometimes "anorexia" is an outward manifestation of a myriad system of physical / biochemical issues that need to be evaluated by knowledgeable, kind and caring health care and mental health professionals.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Any therapist will tell you that you need to de-focus from food. Places like this are the last thing an anorexic needs.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    He needs to make the hard choice and call an ambulance. Would you rather have her alive and pissed off or dead? Neither you nor he can fix this. Refeeding needs to be done carefully and should be medically supervised.

They will likely commit her for an involuntary mental health hold, at least for a little while. Garnering other family/friends around for support and consistent messaging is important as well.

Wishing you all the best--I'm sorry you're in this position. :heart:

• mekabr84
    mekabr84 Posts: 5 Member
    A friend of mine had some sort of heart attack or some other heart related emergency and had to be helicoptered to a hospital (she was like 19?) when she was anorexic. This was 10+ years ago, so I can't quite remember. I believe her weight and height were similar to your friends', though she was exercising something like 8 hours per day (professional ballerina), so that was probably an added strain. Please get her to a doctor!