Can't enter basic foods?

Fitness pal seems to have made some unwelcome changes. It leans heavily toward prepared foods.

I just want enter basic foods, such as scrambled eggs. I don't see any way to do that. It keeps insisting that I have serving size and serving per container.

Help?

Replies

• TheMrsStitch
    TheMrsStitch Posts: 1 Member
    Can you not enter each ingredient manually. Or maybe do that and set it up as a recipe for future use
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    I cook most of what I eat from a recipe. It takes a little more time but entering it yourself can make the entry more accurate and you can recall it easier for future reference. I've had to Google some things and then put in myself. Is it telling you anything? I'd think scrambled eggs would yield something.... I just tried it and am getting medium egg scrambled is 70 calories compared to a large which is 91 calories. I still go with manual entry for accuracy. Hope this helps.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Eggs is already in the database
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 146 Member
    I just track the eggs and milk if I'm doing scrambled eggs x
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    You have to enter the ingredients so you know how many calories you are eating. Do you use a food scale?

Your example scrambled eggs, this is how I would log it:
    Eggs (measured with the food scale in grams)
    Milk liquid measuring cup
    Butter or oil (measured again)

I would either enter these into the recipe builder or I would enter them individually. You will always have a serving size of what you are eating.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I just find my eggs by brand, log them and then log the amount of milk/other ingredients I've used, you can then save it as a meal by tapping on the 3 dots under breakfast/lunch/dinner and "Save Meal". Most of the prepped entries are entered by other users and you have no way of knowing what they have used to come to the nutritional information that is given.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Fitness pal seems to have made some unwelcome changes. It leans heavily toward prepared foods.

I just want enter basic foods, such as scrambled eggs. I don't see any way to do that. It keeps insisting that I have serving size and serving per container.

Help?

Even if you found scrambled eggs, they are someone's recipe. Did the user add water or whipping cream, were they cooked in a non-stick pan, or in butter.

You could also start with USDA for many ingredients.....save the meal as tinkerbellang83 said.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I haven't found that issue at all. I use mostly wholefoods and cook from scratch, and enter ingredients individually.

"scrambled eggs" as an entry is heavily prepared IMO - you have no clue how it has been prepared (milk? Cream? Pancake batter?) , in what quantities things have been added (2 eggs, 5 eggs, 1 egg 4 whites) , or how it has been cooked (no oil, lots of oil, butter etc).... Your best way to accurately log is to log all the ingredients separately for your version of the recipe.