Let me hear your well intended healthy recipe FAILS

Replies

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Those nasty 0 calorie Asian noodles. Never. Again.

Are those the nupasta things?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I tried to make veggie "noodles" and cooked them too long. Apparently 5 min. is too long. MUSH. Blah.
  • pkdragok
    pkdragok Posts: 181 Member
    Ham salad then i forget what I'm doing and add full fat salad cream
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    I've tried a couple of versions of healthier brownies that had too many substitutions and came out mushy and gross. I tried a white bean white chocolate version and a raspberry brownie version. The raspberry brownies were edible but looked horrible (my best friend said they looked like dog poop). The white bean brownies both looked and tasted like a disaster! I also tried a protein powder cupcake recipe that might have been ok with some tweaking. Again, too many substitutions to get the right texture/taste
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    So I had the idea of making Jello pudding, with Almond Milk instead of regular cow's milk (My BF is lactose intolerant and looking for ways to cut out dairy). Word to the wise, it doesn't set up.

I ended up with Lemon Soup. :(

• _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    I was trying to make cookies healthier and substituted applesauce for better. It ended up to goopy to form into cookies so I stuck it in the oven and made a thin cookie cake

Another time I was making a cheesecake for my mom's birthday and I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what to replace butter in the brownie crust so I put avacado in it .. the avacado made it a little less sweet and actually kinda nasty thankfully the rest of the cheesecake was good enough nobody cares.

Except my bf but he likes to take food I make apart and give it rating on a scale of 1 to 5 anyway
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    About 25 years ago, I had the idea to cook a pork roast in a crock pot. I just put the raw pork right in the crock without searing it first on the stovetop. When it was done, it looked like a sickly creature from another planet. Very pale - almost white, and wrinkly. I can't remember how it tasted, just that it looked revolting!
  • katherinemcaninch
    katherinemcaninch Posts: 2 Member
    Oh that cracked me up good! Thanks
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    So I had the idea of making Jello pudding, with Almond Milk instead of regular cow's milk (My BF is lactose intolerant and looking for ways to cut out dairy). Word to the wise, it doesn't set up.

I ended up with Lemon Soup. :(
    Huh, I sometimes use Jello Pudding mix for flavor in my protein shakes w/Almond Milk and it thickens up quite a bit overnight. Not pudding thick but not anywhere near soupy. I'm only using a tablespoon of mix w/8ozs Almond Milk though. Now I'm going to have to make a full box just to see. Just always assumed it would since sometimes I have to add more liquid to make them drinkable.

Back in the 90's during the "fat is evil" craze I tried making my DH's grandmother's famous butter biscuits with fat free butter. It wasn't pretty and I don't think he's ever forgiven me for it.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Well, there was this one time when I decided to make "healthy brownies" out of canned chickpeas (read: salty-as-the-sea chickpeas)...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I have had a few ground turkey mishaps. There was a ground turkey burger with peach that just fell apart, looked gross, smelled gross. We got take out that night. Another time I made meatballs for meatball sandwiches and they disintegrated in the sauce (figured out that baking turkey meatballs works better than cooking them in sauce).

There was a chicken, mushroom, pumpkin disaster. The pumpkin shell was rock hard. I had to hit it with a hammer to break it. The inside was tough too. The end result was pretty blah. The chicken and mushrooms were not too bad if you didn't get any pumpkin.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Most 'healthier' recipes using whole wheat flour vs white, applesauce vs oil and whatnot... it always turns out disgusting.

And the instant pot pumpkin pecan cheesecake recipe I found online. YUCK. Still no clue what went wrong because I followed the recipe to the letter but it ended up in the trash.