Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Layman's terms vs actual scientific explanation?

rybo
rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
Does it really truly matter if someone doesn't care to have the physiological mechanism of a particular function (fat loss, muscle building, energy metabolism etc) explained to them in detail? Or if they use general terms like "toning up"?
Where does the line fall between making someone feel stupid and just going along and answering their question? I have many people ask for help, toning up, but not looking to get too bulky. If I went into a thesis on these terms and issues, they'd be sure to look elsewhere for help.

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I don't believe so. What matters is the output. I don't get caught up in the unnecessary details and focus on what works.

I generally include a level of detail to suit multiple readers, but effective communication requires lay terminology.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Depends on who you're talking to, and how good you are at explaining technical terms in laymens language.I personally like knowing more, and get irritated at people who just want to be told what to do without understanding why. It also infuriates me when someone giving me an answer can't state why that is the answer, or worse refuses to answer by repeatedly answering the question they wished I had asked. That tendency got me into trouble way more than it should have in school. I was always the kid the teachers loved or hated. There was no in between.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Depends, and often depends on whether the terminology used reflects a misunderstanding that is worth clearing up.

Toning is a good example. I think it generally means "want to look leaner and have some muscle tone, but not big muscles/have a particular look that is perceived as bulky." For some women, this is based on the idea that building muscle WILL result in looking bulky and not lean (or super muscular accidentally), and so only very light weights should be used. It's worth explaining how it works to get rid of those ideas, I think. It also might help understand what they really want to have the conversation, although I'd do it nicely.

Same with a lot of the food/nutrition related things.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    I learned that you have to level your "layman's terms" accordingly.
    For someone who just entered the gym for the first time, there are more pressing matters than explaining them every detail of muscle metabolism or correcting their use of "toning.
    For someone who is a little more into it, I adapt accordingly.
    I have to do this a lot in my work, which is interdisciplinary and I need to explain a lot of what I do in a more "broken down" manner to some of the people I work with. You have to find the balance for everyone, which is not condescending "baby speech" to them but also not far fetched unintelligible academic blah.
  • lemurcat12
    I see on here so many people get caught up in sounding smart or trying to make a point that they never actually answer the question the person posted. I always find that very frustrating and useless. If you really want to help then you can't talk on a level someone doesn't understand.

Hmm. But I also see people who just assume others are so dumb they cannot understand the actual facts, so justify simplifications that are not true. I find that to be actually insulting to the people they are aimed at and probably underestimating them, rather condescending.

I think it's polite, not "caught up in sounding smart" to assume that others are capable of understanding things that are not really that hard, and wrong and selling them short to assume they should be fed myths or inaccurate information or cannot understand the facts.

Not saying you are saying we should do the latter, but I see that happen, and that's what I try to combat against in explaining things as best I can (I think reasonably understandably, but also -- because I think this is important and again part of politeness -- not assuming that they are dumb or unwilling/uninterested to learn or unable to comprehend things I can).
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited July 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I see on here so many people get caught up in sounding smart or trying to make a point that they never actually answer the question the person posted. I always find that very frustrating and useless. If you really want to help then you can't talk on a level someone doesn't understand.

Hmm. But I also see people who just assume others are so dumb they cannot understand the actual facts, so justify simplifications that are not true. I find that to be actually insulting to the people they are aimed at and probably underestimating them, rather condescending.

I think it's polite, not "caught up in sounding smart" to assume that others are capable of understanding things that are not really that hard, and wrong and selling them short to assume they should be fed myths or inaccurate information or cannot understand the facts.

Not saying you are saying we should do the latter, but I see that happen, and that's what I try to combat against in explaining things as best I can (I think reasonably understandably, but also -- because I think this is important and again part of politeness -- not assuming that they are dumb or unwilling/uninterested to learn or unable to comprehend things I can).

Good point, but I think a lot of times you can kind of tell how much or little they know depending on the way they phrase their question. I would rather start with a simple answer (because that would cover any knowledge base) and if that doesn't do it for them then you know they can understand it and get more in depth as you go.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

Good point, but I think a lot of times you can kind of tell how much or little they know depending on the way they phrase their question. I would rather start with a simple answer (because that would cover any knowledge base) and if that doesn't do it for them then you know they can understand it and get more in depth as you go.

You can often tell by the questions people ask. Many come to the forums seeking support of their beliefs and ask leading questions, fail to note relevant specifics, and tend to be combative.

Several fall victim to Google-fu and cite articles they believe support their claim, yet often these article are completely irrelevant or in many cases directly dispute the original claim.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    It really depends. There are quite a few newer(and some older) who bandwagon on the "starvation mode isn't a thing"... which it's not, anytime a discussion of adaptive thermogenesis comes up, when the issue is more complicated than a soundbite.

Toning is another one where giving a brief explanation of what it takes to build bulky muscles will generally help more than "ELMM".

Having good vetted stickies goes a long way.

Ditto for the inevitable "I want to run faster" discussions, Well meaning, well informed posters pile on to the "run further", which is true, but some people don't want to run 5 or 6 or 8 miles a day, and just want to run 3 miles quicker.
  • lemurcat12

I agree, but I think it's important to be accurate and not decide they can't understand things. There are pretty simple ways to explain anything they need to know.

It's a super pet peeve of mine when people explain things in a way that suggests they are assuming I am an idiot, so I try to avoid that with others. I'd say that's the opposite of trying to sound smart (and I usually use pretty straightforward terms), but actually respecting the other person. Again, I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to, so am not assuming that we are in disagreement here.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited July 2017

I agree, but I think it's important to be accurate and not decide they can't understand things. There are pretty simple ways to explain anything they need to know.

It's a super pet peeve of mine when people explain things in a way that suggests they are assuming I am an idiot, so I try to avoid that with others. I'd say that's the opposite of trying to sound smart (and I usually use pretty straightforward terms), but actually respecting the other person. Again, I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to, so am not assuming that we are in disagreement here.

lol I actually don't think we are in disagreement, just talking at different sides of the same coin. You feel it is polite and respectful to not assume someone is too stupid to understand something that you are explaining in the way you explain it, and I think it is better to explain something as simply (not condescendingly though, making someone feel stupid is not nice) as possible and then work up from there if the person wants a more in depth explanation. That's what I got from our discussion, neither wrong just different approaches.

• lemurcat12
    Pretty much. And without a specific example it's hard to say how differently we'd approach it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'd start with KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid, and go from there.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

You can often tell by the questions people ask. Many come to the forums seeking support of their beliefs and ask leading questions, fail to note relevant specifics, and tend to be combative.

Several fall victim to Google-fu and cite articles they believe support their claim, yet often these article are completely irrelevant or in many cases directly dispute the original claim.

I have to chime in to support this position. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen people cite a paper which they feel somehow supports their claim, though when you actually read the paper it does not say anything of the sort. In a couple of situations the paper in question actually contradicted the claim by the OP entirely.

I think some people only scan the abstract, or hell even just the title of the paper, then link to it and call it a day thinking nobody will notice. I guess that linking to a scientific paper is preferable to some health guru's blog, as I might actually learn something from the paper, but I find it hilarious that people would link to a paper as "evidence" when they are quite obviously not even remotely familiar with the content.

I also have to chime in to support of another poster who brought up those lucky souls out there who have the either literary or linguistic chops to boil down incredibly complex concepts into easily digestible chunks of knowledge. These types of people rock, and are a rare find that I hope choose a career in education/academia.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    The problem with trying to lay things out in "layman's terms" around here is that you will always find those folks that hang around just waiting to ....

dowjmlq36re5.jpg

so, I think a lot of people get a little too detailed with their explanations just as a reaction to those folks. ;)

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Depends, and often depends on whether the terminology used reflects a misunderstanding that is worth clearing up.

Toning is a good example. I think it generally means "want to look leaner and have some muscle tone, but not big muscles/have a particular look that is perceived as bulky." For some women, this is based on the idea that building muscle WILL result in looking bulky and not lean (or super muscular accidentally), and so only very light weights should be used. It's worth explaining how it works to get rid of those ideas, I think. It also might help understand what they really want to have the conversation, although I'd do it nicely.

Same with a lot of the food/nutrition related things.

This, this and this...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    @supaflyrobby1, one of my undergraduate degrees is in Mandarin Chinese. B)

Most of the papers posted on here are a challenge for my unscientific mind, and I have to put an evening aside to work my way through them to a comprehension level I am happy with. By then it has been reduced to 'people speak' in my mind.

That was said to illustrate that someone can be intelligent with little scientific exposure/knowledge.

I think concise answers, aimed at the poster, but encompassing the whole audience, work best, and so replying in the same tone(?) is usually the way I try to go.

Dispelling myths and misconceptions is often hard, and I think simpler explanations with links for those who like the science behind is a good way to go.

But who am I to speak, I never get into the heavy stuff, I don't feel qualified.

@NorthCascades, off to my hiit aquafit later- ooh I could make it a thing!

Cheers, h.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    I think you do a disservice if you don't give an explanation of what something means-especially things that are so commonly misunderstood. "I want to tone up" "I have a slow metabolism" "I have to eat clean" So many misconceptions out there, it's not too difficult to give a polite explanation of what something means. Use humor and relate to the person. I personally try to answer questions simply, and then casually explain why as the conversation (or session) continues.

If someone is coming to you for help, the ultimate goal should be for them to be able to branch out on there own. How can they do that if they don't have a basic grasp of what they are doing? (Or what you are trying to do for them?) Someone mentioned people asking for help increasing speed when running Make them a plan, and explain the plan. Of course you will have people that want to blindly follow whatever you tell them, but at least give them a chance to be empowered. This way, if they have questions in the future-they can decipher all of the advice they get and make a more informed decision about their next move.