How much weight can you gain in one week?

Options
so whats the realistic amount of actual weight you can gain in one week from over eating?

I'm usually very precise in my calorie counting and never go over maintenance but this week I've not been as careful with tracking. I've also had about 2 shots of vodka every nigh this week, which is not the norm for me at all (I usually don't drink).

my weight has gone up 5 pounds this week. Its also not TOM so I cant blame hormons. I'm still hoping most of it is water weight though cause it cant be 5 pounds of fat!so how much of actual weight do you think I gained?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    1 lb for every 3500 cals of overeating over maintenance, plus 2-10 lbs water weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I can gain weight (not fat) at the rate of 1lb/day without doing anything extreme or outright gluttony.
    The morning after my last 10 day vacation I was up 10lbs.

Best guess - 3lbs of that may have been fat.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    2-3 pounds, in my opinion. Plus a few pounds of water - but that part goes away within a few days.

• mfp71817
    mfp71817 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    you asked this question in another post as well. but you said 4 lbs this post says 5 so which one is it?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10577821/can-alcohol-make-me-gain-4-pounds#latest
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    you asked this question in another post as well. but you said 4 lbs this post says 5 so which one is it?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10577821/can-alcohol-make-me-gain-4-pounds#latest

the difference is negligible, no?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

the difference is negligible, no?

sure but still a lb is a lb in my opinion lol which for the op Im sure most of its water weight like most said
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    If I worked really, really hard at it, I could probably gain about 0.5-.75 pounds per day, but I'd have to work at it with great determination, and I'd be stuffed and bloated throughout, big time. A larger person could probably gain faster (I'm 5'5",: 120s).

If you haven't been pretty miserable every day from over-consumption, it would surprise me if you'd gained more than a pound of fat. The alcohol's under 200 csls, and if you ate only a bit extra it's probably only another few hundred - but you're in a better position to estimate.

Bottom line: It's mostly water weight, likely from extra carbs/salt. Get back on course, and it'll drop off.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I gained 13 lbs. in one week while on a cruise where every meal was an "all you can eat" buffet.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'd think if you were seriously determined you could probably gain 10lbs in a week give or take. I could see eating 6-10k calories per day, especially if you avoided most of the healthier options.

The two vodka shots are like 150 calories (70 per shot or so), maybe closer to 200 if at a bar or something, so that's not adding significantly to your weight. Worst case, half of a pound from the alcohol. As long as you haven't been binging hard as well you're fine.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I gained 21 lbs. in a weekend once, but most of it was water weight. Probably only 5-8 lbs. of it was other than water.
  • Klmom123
    Klmom123 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    I gained 13 lbs. in one week while on a cruise where every meal was an "all you can eat" buffet.

This cruises will get ya every time! I have also gained 10 lbs on a one week cruise. Between the fruity drinks and buffets at all hours.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I could probably gain 10lbs of weight in a week... 2 of fat if I really tried lol
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You have asked something similar several times this week...:

Above you say you over ate, but in this thread, on the same day: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10578425/i-gained-6-pounds-in-one-week-help
    you stated you haven't changed anything apart from the vodka shots.

Then on the 18th you posted:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10578543/weight-gain-after-six-days-of-binging
    where you say you you went mad binging...

Which is it? Just vodka shots, just not being very careful over tracking or a massive binge...?

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Depends on how heavy your clothes are and what you got in your purse
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I've gained at least 5 lbs in a week, a few times. Not including water weight. (It took me 5+ weeks aiming to lose 1 lb per week to get back to my previous weight. I was up 7-10 lbs in total.)
    It takes a ridiculous amount of food to gain that fast. Would not recommend.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    After a bodybuilding competition, I gained 17lbs. Of course I was dehydrated and lacking glycogen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »

Oh what a warm, blissful place this would be :heart: We go to an all you can eat buffet once every few months, it's the highlight of my year :lol:

I would come back resembling shamoo if i ate like that every day for a week!

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    So let's say 5 to 10 lb, generally.