Success with Strong Lifts 5x5?

I've recently started this program in an attempt to bulk up. Has anyone had success with this program? Also, I'm currently 200 pounds, and with the required kcal intake for muscle development I'm afraid I'll maintain a portly look as opposed to a strong look, any food advise?

Replies

• tjcarswell
    tjcarswell Posts: 1 Member
    I've been doing it for around 4 months. I had minimal free weight use prior to the program, and was by no means "ripped" or in great shape. I mainly used machines prior, and felt like I was making no progress at all. I was 190lbs and 5'11. I'm sticking to what MFP says to eat calorie-wise, and I do not look portly or overweight anymore.

I have had pretty good gains just doing SL 5x5 and some various forms of light cardio for somewhere between 30-60 minutes (boxing, jogging, etc) on off days. I'm now around 181Lbs and have a fair amount of muscle definition (compared to what I had). I actually get compliments and look noticeably different.

It will work well for you if you stick to the program exactly, and keep your diet in check (less processed junk). I think the key with any of the popular programs is consistency. Also, don't get bummed if you don't see massive differences in 90 days or something. It will take time.

Best of luck!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Most people use Stronglifts and similar beginner programs to gain strength and maintain LBM while LOSING weight.

Not sure if it will work well while bulking up. Most bulking programs that I've seen online are much more intensive and require more isolation work and more reps than a 5x5 program, although Bill Starr's 5x5 full football player development program might work but that's a lot different and much more complex than the basic Stonglift program.

I'm sure that others w/more experience in this area that I have will chime in.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2017
    Started SL 5x5 at 220... I didn't put on muscle but I kept most of what I had under my sheeth of lard hahaha

• Rangerharms
    Rangerharms Posts: 77 Member
    Started SL 5x5 at 220... I didn't put on muscle but I kept most of what I had under my sheeth of lard hahaha

7cj7vf3l0n1z.jpg

You look amazing!! Did you do any cardio to achieve these results or was it strictly lifting? I've lost approx 40 lbs from a starting weight of 247. I've strictly done cardio and just started kettlebells. (As of two days ago) The OP is my hubby and it would be cool if we did the same program, but I want to lose weight as well as get some muscle definition. Your after pic is what I want! Haha! Awesome job!
  • inertiastrength

7cj7vf3l0n1z.jpg

You look amazing!! Did you do any cardio to achieve these results or was it strictly lifting? I've lost approx 40 lbs from a starting weight of 247. I've strictly done cardio and just started kettlebells. (As of two days ago) The OP is my hubby and it would be cool if we did the same program, but I want to lose weight as well as get some muscle definition. Your after pic is what I want! Haha! Awesome job!

My cardio is strictly walking. I got a fitbit and averaged 10K steps a day for most of my weight loss plus EOD SL5x5. Later on I added some accessory work like lat raises and rear delt flys but for the most part just walking, SL and starting fat was key! Do NOT wait to get leaner before you start lifting because you'll keep way more lean mass and I can tell you it is A LOT harder to put it back on than it is to keep haha
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Did Stronglifts for 14 months before moving on to an intermediate program. I think I saw some progress.

6pf5r9cr4n0u.jpg
    az7aiemiysej.jpg
    0m5n0urkqrde.jpg
  • Rangerharms
    Rangerharms Posts: 77 Member

7cj7vf3l0n1z.jpg

My cardio is strictly walking. I got a fitbit and averaged 10K steps a day for most of my weight loss plus EOD SL5x5. Later on I added some accessory work like lat raises and rear delt flys but for the most part just walking, SL and starting fat was key! Do NOT wait to get leaner before you start lifting because you'll keep way more lean mass and I can tell you it is A LOT harder to put it back on than it is to keep haha

Well okay!! Looks like I'll be joining in his program! Haha. Thank you so much! Can I add you? Also is your food diary open? Just curious on what your calorie intake is and what kinds of foods you are eating. Lol. I'm motivated, so thanks for that!
  • inertiastrength

7cj7vf3l0n1z.jpg

Well okay!! Looks like I'll be joining in his program! Haha. Thank you so much! Can I add you? Also is your food diary open? Just curious on what your calorie intake is and what kinds of foods you are eating. Lol. I'm motivated, so thanks for that!

Absolutely add me. My diary is public and it varies from really clean to really not hahaha. Also I'm not one for variety you'll see me eat the same stuff day in and day out SORRY haha
  • preshalin
    preshalin Posts: 52 Member
    I am an overweight guy. I used to go to the gym and use the machines and jog a little.

I started strong lifts and it changed me for the better. I am much stronger, I don't feel weak or tired doing day to day tasks. It helped me to maintain my strength while losing fat.