Motivation issue.

Options
I currently weigh 63 kgs and I'm 5'11.
I have gained around 15 kgs in 5 months.
I'm still a bit skinny and people generally don't make out that I'm hitting the gym. When will people start noticing that I hit the gym? How much time will it take? Please let me know so that I get a bit of motivation as I'm a little frustrated now.
Thanks.

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    What are you doing as training at the gym? How do you eat?
  • saurabh26
    saurabh26 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Around 3200 calories a day and I workout each body part a day.
    Chest, Back, Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders and Legs.
    5 exercises, 4 sets of each exercise. I try to lift as heavy as I can with reps ranging from 8 to 10.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Building muscle takes time. Especially for women as lower testosterone levels. I've been a regular Crossfitter for 3 years and only in the last year have I got noticeable arm definition. Just keep at it and it will come.
  • saurabh26
    Options
    Building muscle takes time. Especially for women as lower testosterone levels. I've been a regular Crossfitter for 3 years and only in the last year have I got noticeable arm definition. Just keep at it and it will come.

Juat

Just to specify, I'm a man lol
    Thanks
  • onesarah68
    onesarah68 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you need to fulfill your caloric intake while exercising, in your case if you exercise but still don't take enough protein you will get even skinnier you need to eat all day and have patience cos your height to your weight you are still considered underweight so you still need to gain weight first, when you said you gained 15 Kg's in 5 months that's like awesome, I suggest you gain more weight like 5Kg's then start exercising and take some proteins.
  • saurabh26
    Options
    onesarah68 wrote: »
    you need to fulfill your caloric intake while exercising, in your case if you exercise but still don't take enough protein you will get even skinnier you need to eat all day and have patience cos your height to your weight you are still considered underweight so you still need to gain weight first, when you said you gained 15 Kg's in 5 months that's like awesome, I suggest you gain more weight like 5Kg's then start exercising and take some proteins.

I'm already exercising and taking protein. Also, I have a BMI around 19.6 with body fat being 11.6 percent.
  • saurabh26
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Follow a better program, ditch the bro splits.
    And be patient. If you keep searching for external motivation you're likely doomed to give up. Embrace and enjoy the process, put in the work regardless of how motivated you are, make it something you normally do rather than seeking motivation.

But my trainer has told me that bro splits would help.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    life is long so take a long view, train for gains and plan for 10, 20, or 30 years. With both eyes on the road at your feet you will never see the world ahead.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This ^
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It sometimes feels like it takes forever. If can come up with some other goals you can shoot for short-term, it might help. Set some targets- lifting a certain amount of weight, learning a skill, or entering some kind of contest can pump you up. Also take photos regularly so you can see your progress.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You gained 33 pounds in 5 months and if you are correct and your BF% is at or near 11% that is pretty darned cut. I'd be very happy with that kind of progress.

Part of the issue is that you are still only about 139 pounds and 5'11 - which probably means that with a shirt on you don't look like you lift. I'm sure that without the shirt you probably look pretty good with that kind of body fat percentage but bulk is what makes most people look good when in clothes. Just keep working out - getting the body you want can take years, especially if you aren't starting with much.
  • saurabh26
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    You gained 33 pounds in 5 months and if you are correct and your BF% is at or near 11% that is pretty darned cut. I'd be very happy with that kind of progress.

Part of the issue is that you are still only about 139 pounds and 5'11 - which probably means that with a shirt on you don't look like you lift. I'm sure that without the shirt you probably look pretty good with that kind of body fat percentage but bulk is what makes most people look good when in clothes. Just keep working out - getting the body you want can take years, especially if you aren't starting with much.

Thanks a lot.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It depends on how observant these people are, how smart they are to detect subtle changes, and how likely they are to speak up.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You gained 33 pounds in 5 months and if you are correct and your BF% is at or near 11% that is pretty darned cut.

This is completely ridiculous. Not even a pro bodybuilder with every "supplement" under the sun at their disposal could do this.
  • saurabh26
    Options
    You gained 33 pounds in 5 months and if you are correct and your BF% is at or near 11% that is pretty darned cut.

This is completely ridiculous. Not even a pro bodybuilder with every "supplement" under the sun at their disposal could do this.

What can't a pro body builder do? Gain 15 kgs in 5 months and have a body fat of 11.6 percent. You sure?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    saurabh26 wrote: »

What can't a pro body builder do? Gain 15 kgs in 5 months and have a body fat of 11.6 percent. You sure?

What he means... is that pro bodybuilders generally, even with heavy steroid use, cannot gain that much lean mass in that kind of time. Well, no they can't - even with steroids once you get to a certain percentage above your genetic limits things really slow down.

However:

How Much Mass Gains Can Be Expected in a Steroid Cycle?
    December 29, 2014 By Bill Roberts

Q: “How much mass gains can be expected in a steroid cycle? Obviously later cycles won’t yield as much as the first cycle, but overall how does it work?”

A: In a first cycle, retained muscle gains can be as high as 10 lb for the first two weeks of use, or 20 lb or somewhat better for 8 weeks of use. This is assuming well-constructed cycles and appropriate eating.

In the two-week cycle case, the novice can typically get another 5 lb of retained muscle mass per cycle, up to at least the 25 lb net gain point.

In the eight-week cycle case, a second cycle will often yield only another 5-10 lb of retained muscle mass.

Once retained gains have reached typically 25-30 lb over natural best, then further gains typically will slow greatly. This really isn’t because of the number of cycles done, but because of how far one has gone past one’s natural maximum. These numbers are not hard limits. Some do much better.

At some point, gains may very well slow to for example 3 lb per year. For example, that was Lee Haney’s average between his first and last Mr Olympia.

as you can see - a "noob" to steroids certainly CAN gain more than 30 pounds in a couple of cycles - which can be accomplished in a 5 month time frame. After those initial gains things do slow down and for a "pro" things have slowed to a crawl, even with heavy cycles... at that point it's mostly about keeping what they have and sculpting.

However, in your case - seeing as the thread title was about motivation, I took your word that you gained 33 pounds in 5 months. I believe this as I've gained close to this on a bulk - however, for me at least half of it was just fat. ;)

For YOU though, considering that you were painfully and probably unhealthily thin, I can see your gains being quite dramatic your first year. I'm not sure your BF % is accurate but I don't think arguing with someone about that when they are seeking motivation is needed.
  • saurabh26
    Options

What he means... is that pro bodybuilders generally, even with heavy steroid use, cannot gain that much lean mass in that kind of time. Well, no they can't - even with steroids once you get to a certain percentage above your genetic limits things really slow down.

However:

How Much Mass Gains Can Be Expected in a Steroid Cycle?
    December 29, 2014 By Bill Roberts

Q: “How much mass gains can be expected in a steroid cycle? Obviously later cycles won’t yield as much as the first cycle, but overall how does it work?”

A: In a first cycle, retained muscle gains can be as high as 10 lb for the first two weeks of use, or 20 lb or somewhat better for 8 weeks of use. This is assuming well-constructed cycles and appropriate eating.

In the two-week cycle case, the novice can typically get another 5 lb of retained muscle mass per cycle, up to at least the 25 lb net gain point.

In the eight-week cycle case, a second cycle will often yield only another 5-10 lb of retained muscle mass.

Once retained gains have reached typically 25-30 lb over natural best, then further gains typically will slow greatly. This really isn’t because of the number of cycles done, but because of how far one has gone past one’s natural maximum. These numbers are not hard limits. Some do much better.

At some point, gains may very well slow to for example 3 lb per year. For example, that was Lee Haney’s average between his first and last Mr Olympia.

as you can see - a "noob" to steroids certainly CAN gain more than 30 pounds in a couple of cycles - which can be accomplished in a 5 month time frame. After those initial gains things do slow down and for a "pro" things have slowed to a crawl, even with heavy cycles... at that point it's mostly about keeping what they have and sculpting.

However, in your case - seeing as the thread title was about motivation, I took your word that you gained 33 pounds in 5 months. I believe this as I've gained close to this on a bulk - however, for me at least half of it was just fat. ;)

For YOU though, considering that you were painfully and probably unhealthily thin, I can see your gains being quite dramatic your first year. I'm not sure your BF % is accurate but I don't think arguing with someone about that when they are seeking motivation is needed.

Maybe I will get my body fat percentage recalculated. And I am not even arguing lol. We are here to help each other not to argue. This isn't a debate yo. it's a friggin discussion.However, I'm pretty sure about my weight getting increased so that's not a problem. And I'm not even reading the steroids part as I just want to be fit considering I play football so just a weight gainer or whey would do.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Follow a better program, ditch the bro splits.
    And be patient. If you keep searching for external motivation you're likely doomed to give up. Embrace and enjoy the process, put in the work regardless of how motivated you are, make it something you normally do rather than seeking motivation.

But my trainer has told me that bro splits would help.

Once you're strong, properly designed and implemented bro splits will help get you supah bulky. But you're not there yet.