looking for a low calorie cracker recipe

wefts
wefts Posts: 183 Member
Missing crunch , I have been using lettuce for my hummus . but I would love to find low cal cracker ideas

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited July 2017
    Not crackers specifically, but I really like quest nutrition's protein chips.

You can always slide potatos thin and bake them. I've heard you can do it with kale and other veggies too. Crackers are tough to replicate because they rely on bleached white flour as the primary ingredient, so low calorie versions would just be eating less crackers :P (eating 4 instead of 6 cuts calories down by a third for example).

Otherwise for crunch you're going to have to look towards veggies for the most part, and not so much flour based snacks.

Also, puffed soy crisps and popcorn crisps are a thing as well, and are fairly low calorie.
  • wefts
    I will look into the protein chips, I was thinking of something that included oat fiber and wheat bran to cut the flour and carbs . I may be chasing the impossible !
  • cblairnh
    cblairnh Posts: 25 Member
    How about a low-carb wrap, flatbread or tortilla cut into strips or wedges and baked until crisp?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    cblairnh wrote: »
    How about a low-carb wrap, flatbread or tortilla cut into strips or wedges and baked until crisp?

This is what I was going to suggest. Also, red (or orange or yellow) bell peppers taste great with hummus and also provide a crunch.
  • rwam
    rwam Posts: 13 Member
    I know you asked for a recipe but look at fiber gourmet "thinnables". I have had them and they seem to satisfy my crunch need and you don't feel compelled to eat the whole box or bag because they have a lot of fiber. They have several flavors which is nice and they taste good but not outstanding which in my opinion is a plus because I couldn't have a box of cheezits in my house for very long.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I blend egg whites, rolled oats, 1% cottage cheese and water together to make cracker batter. It needs to be pretty thin so they come out thin and crispy instead of thick and hard. Play with the proportions until you get something you're happy with. High in protein and fiber.
  • wefts
    I forgot to look back at this thread
    I blend egg whites, rolled oats, 1% cottage cheese and water together to make cracker batter. It needs to be pretty thin so they come out thin and crispy instead of thick and hard. Play with the proportions until you get something you're happy with. High in protein and fiber.

this is just what I was looking for I have Bought all sorts of different fibers and flours to play with ! Thank you
  • merlegirl3
    merlegirl3 Posts: 7 Member
    Clicketkeys,
    How do you cook them?
    Pour in a sheet pan and bake?
    What temp and how long?
  • rundgrenrocks
    rundgrenrocks Posts: 98 Member
    My daughter and I really like this seedy oat cracker recipe from Bon Appetit:
    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/seedy-oat-crackers

• wefts
    I have discovered pop corners , I do not have to make them, they taste great and they are a good sized handful for 110 calories !
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    My daughter and I really like this seedy oat cracker recipe from Bon Appetit:
    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/seedy-oat-crackers

these would be very yummy...so not low calorie though
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    merlegirl3 wrote: »
    Clicketkeys,
    How do you cook them?
    Pour in a sheet pan and bake?
    What temp and how long?

Cracker dough really shouldn't be a "pourable" consistency -- should be a denser or stiffer consistency, so you roll them out and generally you want to prick the surface with a fork to keep them from puffing up too much. Crackers cook pretty quickly, because they're so thin.