Recipe request: Vegan, soy/corn/gluten-free Asian cuisine?

Options
vegaslounge
vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
Hola,

I'm hosting a dinner party/Cards Against Humanity tournament August 2nd and one guest, whom I really want to come over because she's an excellent person, is legitimately allergic to soy, corn, wheat and dairy. It's not because it's fashionable to be "allergic" to these things, she will be seriously ill if she consumes these things.

I'm already vegetarian (15+ years) so cooking vegan is no problem for me. My dinner will be 100% vegetarian already– it's just that the wheat/soy etc is a new one for me. I know about cross-contamination so I will make "safe" food before I cook the rest. I am planning a mostly "cold" menu because I live in Southeast Georgia and it's hot as Hell down here right now and I neither want to be standing over a stove all day, nor do my guests want to eat hot food.

I am thinking of doing an Asian-inspired menu– summer rolls, Thai pickles etc. I would, however, love to get any additional recipes from the wonderful folks of the MFP boards who may have more experience with specialty diets than I do.

For the record, I don't give two hoots if my non-veg friends want to bring cold cuts, I'm by no means a militant PETA chick. I don't eat meat myself but that doesn't mean I care about what you do. I just want to make sure my guests don't leave my apt with the violent shi...er...kittens.

~VL

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I recently did an Asian themed gluten free vegan dinner party, my menu was awesome! The bits that could work for you are:

Veggie rice paper rolls with satay sauce

Gluten free veggie potstickers

Som Tam (Spicy Green Papaya Salad)

Coconut Rice Pudding with Caramelised Pineapple

I saved all the recipes in a word doc on my home computer, I'll post the links when I get home.

• vegaslounge
    Options
    Thank you so, so much! I can get most "exotic" ingredients no problem (I live in a city with a huge Thai/Vietnamese/Korean population and thus have a ton of markets available) but I just don't have the personal culinary knowledge at hand. The only thing I'm truly adverse to cooking with is mango, because it ranks up with cilantro and anise as the worst tasting things in the world.

~VL
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2631/thai-squash-and-pineapple-curry I do this for my vegan friends a fair bit, I don't know if you get "Thai Taste" red curry paste where you're from but I think it's excellent.

http://www.food.com/recipe/minados-perfect-sushi-rice-119373 also I use this recipe for making awesome avocado, teriyaki carrot and black sesame vegan sushi, although dunno if it's any good without soy to dip (and you'd have to not do teriyaki carrot sticks actually as teriyaki is soy based). But reckon this rice is a perfect base for all sorts of vegan rice balls, sushi and that. Have an awesome time! x

Edit: Sorry just saw you wanted a cold menu, forget my first suggestion, awesome curry though. ;P
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2631/thai-squash-and-pineapple-curry I do this for my vegan friends a fair bit, I don't know if you get "Thai Taste" red curry paste where you're from but I think it's excellent.

http://www.food.com/recipe/minados-perfect-sushi-rice-119373 also I use this recipe for making awesome avocado, teriyaki carrot and black sesame vegan sushi, although dunno if it's any good without soy to dip (and you'd have to not do teriyaki carrot sticks actually as teriyaki is soy based). But reckon this rice is a perfect base for all sorts of vegan rice balls, sushi and that. Have an awesome time! x

Gluten free soy, or tamari sauce, is surprisingly decent!
  • vegaslounge
    Options

Edit: Sorry just saw you wanted a cold menu, forget my first suggestion, awesome curry though. ;P

Maybe not for this dinner, but certainly one of mine in the future. Pineapple in a nice hot curry is amazeballs.

• 0911shunamite
    0911shunamite Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You can do broccoli slaw sautéed and seasoned with coconut aminos and chili oil.
    Kimchi if you're not already having that.
    I've also done cabbage rolls in the crock pot. I use cabbage leafs in place of won- ton wraps or whatever else. Slightly boil the leafs to make them flexible and fil with your cooked seasoned vegs and either bake or put in crock pot on low for a couple hours and I like to drizzle mine with aminos and chili oil for extra flavor. Good luck
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you want to have soy-type sauce, try some Coconut Aminos? It could really help provide that depth to your Asian cuisine since it's such a popular flavor/dipping sauce.

Amazon even sells a 3 pack with the Aminos plus a Teriyaki & a Garlic sauce.
  • vegaslounge
    Options
    These are the gluten free dumpling wrappers: http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2015/01/gluten-free-potstickers-recipe.html

The dumpling filling: http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/09/vegetable-dumplings/

Rice paper rolls: http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/article/how-to-make-rice-paper-rolls-a194.html
    (I did the Julienned carrot, cucumber and capsicum with vietnamese mint and thai basil)

So, y'all have made me want ALL the foods right now.

I <i>love</i> dumplings, wontons, gyoza, whatever you want to call them so I have bookmarked that recipe for sure. And, I had been thinking about doing a "make-your-own" summer roll bar (okay, more like folding card table). Not as much effort on my part (just prepping the filling and soaking the rice wrappers) and I like the idea of customizing your own food. It's more fun that way, more interactive. Although I'm not huge on Japanese cuisine (I just find it too bland and basic compared to Thai or Vietnamese) I have a couple of Wagamama recipe books that I've used in the past (I have family in Dublin, Ireland and I make a pilgrimage to their local branch every time I visit) and so have a couple of ideas from those as well.

No matter what, my guests don't leave my home hungry, lol. I always cook WAY more than is necessary, but I love having dinner parties and hostessing, even if my hostess style is more Amy Sedaris than Betty Crocker.

~VL
  • vegaslounge
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'd like to bump this thread up again because I had the dinner party I was asking for, it went without a hitch, and I used many of the recipes shared in this thread.

I decided to do a fondue-style dim sum, "steam your own dumplings". I had my rice cooker/steamer set up on the table like a chocolate fountain.
    gda8dfz6gqxy.jpg

The main filling was the same, and you could customize the dumplings with extra ingredients and dipping sauces:

Top-middle-bottom: Lemon-ginger golden syrup, garlic-chili soy, and pineapple/chili/lemongrass.
    uuf523str715.jpg

The dumpling filling is courtesy of @Alatariel75. I had to modify it a little (take out the soy sauce). Amazeballs. I premade the wonton-wrapped dumplings the night before but reserved a good part of the filling for the "build-your-own" bar with lettuce and rice-paper wraps.
    64saidue0xie.jpg

Thai cucumber salad.
    co35ziuvg5ko.jpg. So pretty...

My dessert, alas, was neither gluten-free, nor healthy, but it was incredibly delicious– banana lumpia. Roll a slice of plantain in cinnamon/brown sugar (I also use a pinch of cardamom), wrap in an egg roll wrapper and pan fry. Not the healthiest thing in the world, but it tastes like vanilla custard wrapped in a churro and I'm not going to complain about that.

Thank you all again so much, and happy eating!

~VL

• Alatariel75
    Options
    I'd like to bump this thread up again because I had the dinner party I was asking for, it went without a hitch, and I used many of the recipes shared in this thread.

I decided to do a fondue-style dim sum, "steam your own dumplings". I had my rice cooker/steamer set up on the table like a chocolate fountain.
    gda8dfz6gqxy.jpg

The main filling was the same, and you could customize the dumplings with extra ingredients and dipping sauces:

Top-middle-bottom: Lemon-ginger golden syrup, garlic-chili soy, and pineapple/chili/lemongrass.
    uuf523str715.jpg

The dumpling filling is courtesy of @Alatariel75. I had to modify it a little (take out the soy sauce). Amazeballs. I premade the wonton-wrapped dumplings the night before but reserved a good part of the filling for the "build-your-own" bar with lettuce and rice-paper wraps.
    64saidue0xie.jpg

Thai cucumber salad.
    co35ziuvg5ko.jpg. So pretty...

My dessert, alas, was neither gluten-free, nor healthy, but it was incredibly delicious– banana lumpia. Roll a slice of plantain in cinnamon/brown sugar (I also use a pinch of cardamom), wrap in an egg roll wrapper and pan fry. Not the healthiest thing in the world, but it tastes like vanilla custard wrapped in a churro and I'm not going to complain about that.

Thank you all again so much, and happy eating!

~VL

Looks amazing!!! I'm glad it went off without a hitch!
  • vegaslounge
    Options

It was a fantastic evening and I'd like to thank you personally for the dumpling filling! I love to cook and entertain (I'm a frustrated 1960s housewife at heart) and, I won't lie, it's awesome when I can "show" that veg food doesn't have to be bland and rabbity. Being in SE Georgia, every dinner party I'm invited to usually revolves around BBQ or a Lowcountry Boil, and I'm cool with that, I have a beer and some potato chips. I'm there for the company if not the food. But, come over to my place, and that kitten ain't happening. My kitchen, my rules. ;)

~VL
    (Guest: "Can I hire you as my Stepford Wife?")
  • Alatariel75
    Options

It was a fantastic evening and I'd like to thank you personally for the dumpling filling! I love to cook and entertain (I'm a frustrated 1960s housewife at heart) and, I won't lie, it's awesome when I can "show" that veg food doesn't have to be bland and rabbity. Being in SE Georgia, every dinner party I'm invited to usually revolves around BBQ or a Lowcountry Boil, and I'm cool with that, I have a beer and some potato chips. I'm there for the company if not the food. But, come over to my place, and that kitten ain't happening. My kitchen, my rules. ;)

~VL

You're a woman after my own heart! I'm a massive foodie and LOVE to feed people. I pick a few friends to come over once a month or so and put on a 3-4 course themed dinner, just for the fun of it. The gluten free/vegan banquet was one such night, and a fun challenge!

if I could have my way, I'd spend my days at home in the kitchen, canning my own food, making sauces, curing my own meats and cooking up a storm :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

~VL

That must have made your day! Such a thoughtful and appreciative comment. I'm not a vegetarian but I get riled up when people dismiss vegetarian food as inferior or something people only do because "they have to". No, some vegetarian dishes are out of this world, even more so than some non-vegetarian ones. You just need to know how to prepare it, which also goes for animal based dishes, so yeah...
  • Alatariel75
    Options

~VL

That must have made your day! Such a thoughtful and appreciative comment. I'm not a vegetarian but I get riled up when people dismiss vegetarian food as inferior or something people only do because "they have to". No, some vegetarian dishes are out of this world, even more so than some non-vegetarian ones. You just need to know how to prepare it, which also goes for animal based dishes, so yeah...

I had a blast catering an 8 course vegan meal. Though I've also been called weird for voluntarily eating tofu, while not a vegetarian. Because you'know, veggies only eat it because they can't have meat *eyeroll*
  • vegaslounge
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You're a woman after my own heart! I'm a massive foodie and LOVE to feed people. I pick a few friends to come over once a month or so and put on a 3-4 course themed dinner, just for the fun of it. The gluten free/vegan banquet was one such night, and a fun challenge!

if I could have my way, I'd spend my days at home in the kitchen, canning my own food, making sauces, curing my own meats and cooking up a storm :)

Seriously, I started making my own sauces for the party two days ago. I was considering buying a jarred dipping sauce but then thought, "it's going to be so much more fun if I make it myself". You don't even *see* me during my dinner parties, I'm hidden in the kitchen. My BF and friend had to reassure other guests, "this is just how she is. Let her be, she's in her zone."

My traditional, old-school Southern grandmothers were actually AWFUL cooks, but that idea of "food = love" is a hard mindset to shake, lol. I love everything about cooking for other people, setting a table, having the right music, the whole shebang. My dinner party 'spirit animal' is Amy Sedaris. I highly recommend her cookbook/entertaining guide, "I Like You". If nothing else, her spanakopita recipe is freakin' amazing.

~VL
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Seriously, I started making my own sauces for the party two days ago. I was considering buying a jarred dipping sauce but then thought, "it's going to be so much more fun if I make it myself". You don't even *see* me during my dinner parties, I'm hidden in the kitchen. My BF and friend had to reassure other guests, "this is just how she is. Let her be, she's in her zone."

My traditional, old-school Southern grandmothers were actually AWFUL cooks, but that idea of "food = love" is a hard mindset to shake, lol. I love everything about cooking for other people, setting a table, having the right music, the whole shebang. My dinner party 'spirit animal' is Amy Sedaris. I highly recommend her cookbook/entertaining guide, "I Like You". If nothing else, her spanakopita recipe is freakin' amazing.

~VL

Ohh, I'll look into that! She sounds great! I know what you mean about hiding in the kitchen - best thing that ever happened to me was buying a house with a huge kitchen that's open onto the dining room and living room. I can interact and cook! But people still don't get it and they want to help, or take over so I can get out of the kitchen - No!!
  • vegaslounge
    edited August 2017
    Options

That must have made your day!

Oh, heck yeah! I dressed the part, too– big circle dress, matching jewelry and bright red lipstick...what can I say, I work as a historical reenactor, I like to look and act the part!

When the weather starts cooling down I'm going to try and start 18th century cooking demonstrations at my workplace– pots hanging over the fire pit and in our traditional clay/straw bread oven. I am so utterly stoked about that possibility. I'm a total nerd, but I'm totally fine with that.

~VL
  • vegaslounge
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Ohh, I'll look into that! She sounds great! I know what you mean about hiding in the kitchen - best thing that ever happened to me was buying a house with a huge kitchen that's open onto the dining room and living room. I can interact and cook! But people still don't get it and they want to help, or take over so I can get out of the kitchen - No!!

My parents and friends know that if I'm in the kitchen, they should stay out. I do appreciate that they ASK if they can help, that is a nice thing to ask– but no. I don't need your help, I need you to stay out of my way. I can absolutely participate a living-room/kitchen conversation from my spot over the stove, but you're doing me way more harm than good if you try and lend me a hand. I appreciate the offer, but sit your butt down and let me cook.

I highly recommend Amy Sedaris' book. It is from her that I learned to crack the seal on liquor bottles before your guests arrive, because nobody wants to look like that desperate person trying to get a drink, "particularly during a funeral".

~VL

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    This is the most enjoyable thread I've read in a long time!