Open Diaries vs Closed Diaries

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Open to friends. Sometimes people ask about new foods, or how I cook things, or I learn from them, which is kind of fun.

I have good (maybe too good ;) ) ego strength. If anyone critiques/questions my nutrition or habits, I'll think about it, research if appropriate, and either take it on board or tell them why they're wrong. ;) If someone were an inappropriately persistent jerk, I'd unfriend them, but that hasn't happened so far.

I do read others' diaries, and have commented on something that seemed consistent but risky, like consistently hyper-low protein or tiny amounts of fruit/veg, especially if they're new here, or they've asked a question in their statuses that makes it relevant. Isn't that part of why this is social/shareable?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Open to friends. Sometimes people ask about new foods, or how I cook things, or I learn from them, which is kind of fun.

I have good (maybe too good ;) ) ego strength. If anyone critiques/questions my nutrition or habits, I'll think about it, research if appropriate, and either take it on board or tell them why they're wrong. ;) If someone were an inappropriately persistent jerk, I'd unfriend them, but that hasn't happened so far.

I do read others' diaries, and have commented on something that seemed consistent but risky, like consistently hyper-low protein or tiny amounts of fruit/veg, especially if they're new here, or they've asked a question in their statuses that makes it relevant. Isn't that part of why this is social/shareable?
    Yes, this makes sense. If I asked a question in a thread, I would expect and maybe even invite folks to take a look and provide some input. And, as you mention, with friends that are newbies, I'll take a look in order to encourage them. If I seem something that could stand adjusting, I'll mention that in the context of how good they are doing overall. But I couldn't imagine telling someone that what they were doing was just plain wrong.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Doesn't really make a difference to me. I just like to look and see what others are eating to give me some ideas.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    I think it's a personal preference thing.

I've lost close to 50 lbs now since October and mine is closed. I don't see a need for it to be open and I don't look at other people's diaries.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Mine is open but it's wacky :# I've never consistently logged online throughout this whole process, and have just used mfp to spot check once in a while. I've just started logging daily though, (day 3?), but only my veggie and fruit intake. I'm doing this for a personal challenge, and if someone looks at my diary it's going to seem a bit "off". I'm sure at some point I'll get a message about it lol.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Mine's open to hold me accountable when I comment about how I eat. I've never had any comments, and wouldn't expect to unless I posted something outrageous about my diet and got called on it. Or I lost my mind and started a thread about "HEELLP!! CAN'T LOOSE ON 700 CALORIES!! I don't look at other people's diaries because I'm really not interested.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I think mine is open to friends. But since I only have 2 friends and they aren't the type to go look it might as well be private (which is fine since I track medications in mine along with food).

But I never understood why anyone would care what someone else was eating enough to comment negatively without being asked for advice.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Mine is open. I've never had someone comment negatively on it. I've had a couple of friends mention when I'm restricting calories pretty heavily but I take that as a good head's up most of the time. I like looking at my friend's diaries to see how the fit their Tetris game of calories for the day and some of their food sounds waaaay better than mine. :D
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Mine was open to start with but closed now. I'm here to gain and,eventually,maintain. I have IBD which means my diet is fairly limited and I've had a few judgey comments about the lack of fruit,veg etc so I closed it
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Mine is closed because I like it that way. I've had issues with stress eating and binging and didn't want the logs of that public.

Also, I started out on my old account with a public diary and someone went tip-toeing through my diary and tried shaming me on the forums about my dietary choices, and I'm one of those "healthy eaters with just an occasional small treat every now and then" types. It was truly pathetic and I closed my diary from that day forward.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    For me personally, I find no value in having it open. It's not that I'm worried about negative comments, more that I really can't be bothered discussing it and having it open is an invitation to do that. I use a large number of recipes, so my diary isn't really of value to anyone else.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Mine was open to friends only, when I was still loosing. I Ieft MFP for few months and when I came back I decided to keep my diary close, my profile private, and no friends. Life in MFP world is easier now.

My eating habits are my business and like some members posted, I don't think that having an open diary will help me or anybody else. I am in maintenance and I don't log consistently anyway.
  • Skee_2802
    Skee_2802 Posts: 296 Member
    Mine is open.
    I like reading other diaries to get ideas on meals, supplements & strength training exercises others are taking / doing who are on a similar journey to me.
    No judgements just an opportunity to learn.
    I've recieved less than positive comments but then I remember those people don't pay my bills, know my life, or register as significant in anyway. Nexxxxxt..
  • cshankes
    cshankes Posts: 31 Member
    I'm finding that keeping mine open keeps me more accountable
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Mine is closed. If it were open, I would personally be more likely to lie. I wouldn't log all the 'bad' foods I eat because I wouldn't want to be judged.

I am exactly the other way round. My brain is okay with me lying to myself, but never ever with me lying to others.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    The worst thing I've done to someone with an open diary is delete them for constantly eating VLC, I'm not going to "like" your eating disorder but I wouldn't dare have said anything either; that's their business. I'm shocked to read how many (even though just a handful) have had negative comments about theirs. I'd get very vicious if someone dared give me unsolicited advice on what I put in my body haha
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    The worst thing I've done to someone with an open diary is delete them for constantly eating VLC, I'm not going to "like" your eating disorder but I wouldn't dare have said anything either; that's their business. I'm shocked to read how many (even though just a handful) have had negative comments about theirs. I'd get very vicious if someone dared give me unsolicited advice on what I put in my body haha

So much word! Smh. What the heck is wrong with people?