Long Time Fat

TorStar80
TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
edited July 2017 in Chit-Chat
I always wonder emotionally what a dramatic weight loss is for someone who has been fat most of their life. I've been overweight or obese since I was at least 10, at 37 now, I can't even imagine ever being a normal weight. Are you someone in this boat who HAS gotten to a normal weight? How do you feel.. really?

Replies

• beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    There are lots of chit-chatters who have fabulous success stories, OP! I hope they will share them with you! You might also check out the "Success Stories" forum where there are lots of weight loss stories and photos.
  • TorStar80
    There are lots of chit-chatters who have fabulous success stories, OP! I hope they will share them with you! You might also check out the "Success Stories" forum where there are lots of weight loss stories and photos.
    Thank you! I have seen many positive stories, haven't yet stumbled on the emotional aspect. I do love the success stories... the positivity is very motivating :)

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I feed very proud of myself.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I think I fit the bill here. I was a really, really big kid (like 5'5" and 140 lb at age 10 and 11) and I actually didn't think of myself as being fat, just bigger than my peers...I had very "normal" proportions, albeit for a 20- or 30-something woman and not a kid. In a way I was oddly proud of that...

But then, by age 16 I was well over 200 lb and stayed that way through my entire adulthood. I usually was around 250-270. At one point I went over 300 lb at 5'8" and decided it was time for a change. Lost some weight, steadily and very slowly before starting MFP at age 35 and took off another 90 lb.

How do I feel? Mostly I feel good, proud of myself, and sometimes, exactly the same as before.

For example right now I'm 40 years old and hovering in the mid 170s. I was previously at my lowest of 160s (two years ago), and in my mind a lot of the time I feel like "welp, I gained back all the weight", which obviously isn't true at all. But it's a bit weird, even several years into maintenance. I do think for me it's a bit of an issue that I was always sort of in denial about my obesity and didn't feel miserable about it except in very small doses, specific situations, etc. I always felt pretty average and still do.
  • TorStar80
    I

For example right now I'm 40 years old and hovering in the mid 170s. I was previously at my lowest of 160s (two years ago), and in my mind a lot of the time I feel like "welp, I gained back all the weight", which obviously isn't true at all. But it's a bit weird, even several years into maintenance. I do think for me it's a bit of an issue that I was always sort of in denial about my obesity and didn't feel miserable about it except in very small doses, specific situations, etc. I always felt pretty average and still do.

I relate very much to what you say here. I've always know I'm fat and that it's not healthy, but it's never really been an issue for me so while I'm not in denial really, I have treated it like a non issue because it hasn't prevented me from doing the things I've wanted to. I'd like to accomplish this and feel proud, I'm glad you do and I hope that for myself too, I'd be fine continuing to feel average :). Thanks for sharing :)

• Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,227 Member
    I'm 69 yo and weigh 206# after losing 170# since January 2013. The last time I weighed 202# was thirty years ago when I was 39 yo!
    All I can say is DO IT WHILE YOU'RE YOUNG! It doesn't get any easier and you will enjoy the benefits of health and fitness the rest of your life.
    I feel a sense of accomplishment for FINALLY changing my Lifestyle rather than going on another diet.
    I feel shame/regret for what I did to myself getting up to 376#
    I feel Grateful that I lived long enough to do this!
  • TorStar80
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    I'm 69 yo and weigh 206# after losing 170# since January 2013. The last time I weighed 202# was thirty years ago when I was 39 yo!
    All I can say is DO IT WHILE YOU'RE YOUNG! It doesn't get any easier and you will enjoy the benefits of health and fitness the rest of your life.
    I feel a sense of accomplishment for FINALLY changing my Lifestyle rather than going on another diet.
    I feel shame/regret for what I did to myself getting up to 376#
    I feel Grateful that I lived long enough to do this!

I am proud of and happy for you. To many years of good health and enjoyment of life :) thank you for sharing.
  • dalem14
    dalem14 Posts: 18 Member
    edited July 2017
    Fat since I was 4, obese by 10. Morbidly obese by teens. At age 46 I was 379#. I never thought I would ever be a healthy weight as I never had been. I finally decided it was time and my doctor said it was completely doable without weight loss surgery or fad diets. I had to make up my mind I wanted it. That FINALLY clicked with me and 2 years later with the help of MFP I have lost 180+ pounds am maintaining it and feel great!
  • TorStar80
    dalem14 wrote: »
    Fat since I was 4, obese by 10. Morbidly obese by teens. At age 46 I was 379#. I never thought I would ever be a healthy weight as I never had been. I finally decided it was time and my doctor said it was completely doable without weight loss surgery or fad diets. I had to make up my mind I wanted it. That FINALLY clicked with me and 2 years later with the help of MFP I have lost 180+ pounds am maintaining it and feel great!

That is amazing, good for you. I'm sure you feel proud of your accomplishment :)