Thoughts please... When is texting gone to far?

Given the many forms of communication for example a phone call would the following be considered out of line and inappropriate via a text message.... To be informed of a family member being diagnosed with breast cancer and all of the details that entails only to end the text message with call me tonight and we'll talk. I say WTFlip perhaps you should have saved the entire conversation for the phone call... ! Thoughts if you will ...

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    I have a personal issue with this. My family, parents especially, have embraced technology to extremes. I'm talking sending me a text to say Grandma was on her deathbed and posting (not once but twice) about close family members deaths of Facebook before calling me.

I think it's really poor form. When I called my mother out about the text regarding Grandma, she said "I didn't want to bother you at work". My response was "I work in an office where I take calls all day, it's far less of a "bother" to take a call from you saying Grandma is on the way out than receiving a text out of the blue."

Texts are for making plans, touching base and sending funny pictures. Not for important family news, unless there is an agreement about "I can't take a call, but text me if something happens"
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    My parents, 2 sisters, and I have a group text that we all constantly chat in. A lot of serious info is passed on through it, including my uncle almost dying and having to be hospitalized for several days due to something super bizarre. We literally text about everything there, all family matters and anything else. I think it's great. We all get to "discuss" together, commiserate or whatever. I don't think it's inappropriate at all to pass on serious and important info that way.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,064 Member
    I got a text off my dad saying my Nan died at *time*
    I rang back straight away and he ignored my call.
    I was very pi$$ed off at the time but then I thought about it and he had just lost his mum and would have been in no state to talk about it.

Finding out you have breast cancer, must be awful, so awful in fact how would you even be able to say it out loud!
    I think a text is okay. It's a big deal and sometimes writing things is a lot easier than talking about it.
    Saves a lot of questions they may not even know the answer to yet.

Sorry you're family member has been diagnosed x
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Just for a little context.

I can remember back in the 50's & 60's it was considered bad form to impart such news by phone.
    In person, or if the distance was too far, by telegraph or letter was the ' 'correct' way to communicate upsetting news.

Phones were for business or chit chat.
    Times change.

Cheers, h.
    (This was in working class northern England, :))
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    My mom notified me she was having survey for cancer via Facebook. I never saw the message, since I'm rarely on Facebook, and didn't know anything about it until a few months later at Christmas. My mom is a special kind of special, so I'm used to it.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited July 2017
    I think it depends on what your family is used to. I have a very large family and we share a lot of information via group text. When I had emergency surgery recently, my husband called one sister who then sent out a text and updates. Saved my husband having to make a lot of phone calls while he was worried about me, he could just deal with the one sister. Saved my sister from having to make 25 phone calls.

edited because spelling is hard on Friday
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    ^

Milady, can you tell me more about post-war England????

You really shouldn't have asked that question- I could bore you to tears and still be waffling on.
    The down side of s happy childhood.

Cheers, h.
    ps: you have been missing for a while, nice to see your unique humour surface again. I think B)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    There are lots of wise insights on this thread. There is no good way to receive upsetting news. Maybe if they had waited until tonight to call you would wish they had texted you sooner. Don't harbour anger and frustration over this, deal with your own grief and support your loved one who is ill. Try to follow your nutrition and exercise plan, it will help you get through this. God bless.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If my phobe rings and its family, it means someone is in hospital or dead... otherwise, we text.

Or my 3 year old nephew has got hold of my sisters phone :laugh:
  • diryshe2
    diryshe2 Posts: 6 Member
    I personally believe that we each handle things in many different ways.

Just because one way is right for you and yours. My family may choose a different way.

Neither way is right nor wrong.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Perhaps texting was easier because the person relaying the news might have been teary and it's easier to text than talk.

I know this happened with me when my dad died. I ignored calls in favour of texting because I didn't want to be a sobbing mess on the phone.

Be happy you were told.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited July 2017
    I have five brothers and sisters, as well as various other relatives. Most of them understand getting a mass text for personal and bad news. In fact, it makes it easier for all of us to share info and support in real time, because it's often impossible to talk during certain times of the day. Plus it eliminates the stupid jealous nonsense of who was called first and by whom. " I love you all equally, and consider gou equally important. By the way Grandma probably will die in a few hours."
  • Daylitor
    Daylitor Posts: 10 Member
    Some things just need to be said in person or at least by a phone call, I completely agree with you
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,044 Member
    At least you got told, when my mum was taken into hospital a while ago I only found out because one of her friends contacted me, my brother and his wife who live with her didn't call, text, email, carrier pigeon, nothing!
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    At least you got told, when my mum was taken into hospital a while ago I only found out because one of her friends contacted me, my brother and his wife who live with her didn't call, text, email, carrier pigeon, nothing!

My DH's mother didn't tell him she'd gone into hospital for major heart surgery. We knew that she was awaiting the operation, but not when or where and put two and two together when we couldn't contact her at home. My DH then rang every hospital in the area trying to find out which she was in, and whether or not she was even alive. The horrible woman hasn't been in touch since and has spent the last four years ignoring the fact that she has a son and grandchildren. I don't have a problem with her ignoring me (I think that her hatred stemmed from the fact that her late husband liked me and made it obvious) but I do take issue with her cutting her son off, for no apparent reason other than he breathes . . .

My DH also received an email from a friend of his who was terminally ill with cancer. When he opened said email, it was from the friend's wife, tellling him that his friend had died and when the funeral was. My poor DH, it was a horrible way to get that news. I'll never forget his reaction. How not to do something...