Stuck at 170 since May! Help

Stats
5'6"
Starting weight 189 post baby
Goal weight 145
Current weight since May 170

I was on weight watchers. Lost 15 lbs. Then got stuck. Increased workouts measured and weighed food. Still no movement. Took June off of tracking to reset. Worked out hard ate well dropped 1.6 lbs (to where i am now) switched to MFP. Weigh measure track ect. Work out min 5 days a week. Often 6. Changed routine. Walking. Shred and just started running. Want to lift again ( was very fit pre baby) but have to wait till oct when im back at work. No access to lifting heavy in my small town. Im so stumped. I had lost weight 5 years ago and maintained until baby. Now i can seem to break 170....im so frustrated. I have 10 weeks till im back to work and really want to not buy a new wardrobe.

Oh mfp tells me 1580 day. I dont log my walking. Only my HIIT training for workouts.

Advice please? Help

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Exactly how accurate is your logging?
  • dezindiva
    dezindiva Posts: 13 Member
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Since you took June off, you can't really say you've been stuck since May. Start from your weight when you started tracking again in July, and check the flowchart.
    Also, a "reset" isn't really a thing, you just took a month off of tracking. That's fine if you want to do it, but as you've seen it doesn't help with weight loss.
    Track accurately and consistently, maintain a deficit, and the weight will have no choice but to come off. :)

I hear what your saying. But that was when i got my weight moving again. Not much but 1.6lbs. Versus nothing. I ment a mental reset. I was obsessing. I needed to stop stressing over it.
  • dezindiva
    edited July 2017
    defmut3 wrote: »
    You're eating too much. Eat less.

Want to try and stay around 1500. But ill give it a shot
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    The obvious answer is that you're eating too much, and I know you are reluctant to believe this because you're being so careful. Be a good detective and figure out how you're making logging errors, or perhaps not being completely honest with yourself about an occasional cheat or a few drinks on the weekend. Here are a few ideas:

1. I'm sure you know that not all of the MFP entries are correct. Some are pretty far off. I always search the food name, then grams, and then USDA after. For instance: Pineapple grams usda. If anyone has a better suggestion, please share it.

2. Food companies are allowed a 20% margin of error on nutrition labels. You have to believe most of them take advantage of that and under report calorie content. Get out your calculator and add 20% to each packaged food on your log.

3. If you cook a lot, and taste along the way, that can add calories that you inconveniently forget about when logging. I've been very surprised when I add up all those tiny morsels I snatched here and there through the day.

4. I've also heard that your metabolism can be compromised if you don't stay hydrated.

5. Just because MFP says you need 1580 calories doesn't make it true. And MFP can't possibly know how much you really burn exercising. Bottom line, eat less.
  • dezindiva
    The obvious answer is that you're eating too much, and I know you are reluctant to believe this because you're being so careful. Be a good detective and figure out how you're making logging errors, or perhaps not being completely honest with yourself about an occasional cheat or a few drinks on the weekend. Here are a few ideas:

1. I'm sure you know that not all of the MFP entries are correct. Some are pretty far off. I always search the food name, then grams, and then USDA after. For instance: Pineapple grams usda. If anyone has a better suggestion, please share it.

2. Food companies are allowed a 20% margin of error on nutrition labels. You have to believe most of them take advantage of that and under report calorie content. Get out your calculator and add 20% to each packaged food on your log.

3. If you cook a lot, and taste along the way, that can add calories that you inconveniently forget about when logging. I've been very surprised when I add up all those tiny morsels I snatched here and there through the day.

4. I've also heard that your metabolism can be compromised if you don't stay hydrated.

5. Just because MFP says you need 1580 calories doesn't make it true. And MFP can't possibly know how much you really burn exercising. Bottom line, eat less.

Thank you. I will reevaluate my logging and calorie intake. Great points.
  • dezindiva
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Seems you didn't like the best advice (hint: @Kathryn247 ) and went for the "shortcut" of cutting sugar.

I urge you rethink.

Either cutting sugar or keeping sugar could be right, depending on the person. For me, cutting sugar is best because sugar stimulates my appetite and makes it harder to comply with my diet. Obviously, I'm talking about added sugar, not sugars found in vegetables and fruits. I'm still experimenting to see what my tipping point is in regards to sugar from fruits, sauces and dressings, etc. Some is okay for me, but too much and I end up hungry and cranky.

Many people do not have this problem and do fine with high sugar treats every day and still manage to lose. It's up to each individual to figure it out for themselves because there isn't a universal right way. Biological and psychological/emotional reasons for consuming or not consuming sugar are unique to each individual.

I actually do maintain the opinion that a diet very low in added sugar is ultimately the healthiest, but an ideal that is difficult for most people to achieve. Gently heading in that direction is not a bad idea.

Agreed! And well said. I truly dont believe in cutting out food groups. But u do need to understand how your body responds to triggers. We all have our issues...thats what were workin on to help figure out what works best.
  • ACJP2014
    ACJP2014 Posts: 53 Member
    Stop stressing over the weight. Now that you've got some tactics to refocus on (which ever you choose) focus on those goals. For me when I get to a plateau I make sure that I'm logging correctly and then focus on a fitness goal; knowing in the back of my mind that the weight will get there (and even if the scales don't drop at least i'd be fitter).
  • dezindiva
    ACJP2014 wrote: »
    Stop stressing over the weight. Now that you've got some tactics to refocus on (which ever you choose) focus on those goals. For me when I get to a plateau I make sure that I'm logging correctly and then focus on a fitness goal; knowing in the back of my mind that the weight will get there (and even if the scales don't drop at least i'd be fitter).

Thank you!
  • sarajstrong
    sarajstrong Posts: 5 Member
    Are you still breastfeeding?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    dezindiva wrote: »

Thank you. I will reevaluate my logging and calorie intake. Great points.

Even the "verified" entries (green check mark) can be off. Products change their nutritional content, and I'm not sure how MFP gets the database updated.
  • dezindiva
    Are you still breastfeeding?

No but it was after i stopped that thw weight stopped moving. Even with the reduction in food. On a positive note today i weighed in and was down 1.6lbs. Happy dance! Finally. Now to keep it going.