Work function with food - how do I track?

Options
I'm attending a work function this afternoon at a local bar. They will be serving appetizers. Does anyone have any advice on how to track this sort of thing? I won't be having any alcohol because I have to drive there, but I'm sure I'll want to nosh a little. Thanks for any suggestions you wise, wonderful people may have!

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Make mental notes and do a lot of guesstimating afterwards. Enjoy the function and don't sweat it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Be conscious of what you are putting in your mouth while there. I find that in social situations (especially with appetizers or hors d'oeuvres), it's waaaaay too easy to mindlessly eat more than intended.

When you get home, log it as best you can and move on. :)

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    estimate as best as you can
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    id just drink alcohol. very easy to track
  • smc92079
    smc92079 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    id just drink alcohol. very easy to track

Haha! If I didn't have to drive that would totally be my choice. :)
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Stick to the veggies and the protein stuff... that helps. Also, before you go, 2 TBSP peanut butter and some hot tea will make you feel at least a little full - 190 calories....
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Eat small bites and portions and spend a lot of time actively listening and asking people questions while drinking lots of water. I like ask for water with lemon or lime in a fancy glass. As far as foods, it's easy to do a search on just about any food dish or horderve there is, just log a best guess on them and don't worry too much about it.

Have fun!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    smc92079 wrote: »
    I'm attending a work function this afternoon at a local bar. They will be serving appetizers. Does anyone have any advice on how to track this sort of thing? I won't be having any alcohol because I have to drive there, but I'm sure I'll want to nosh a little. Thanks for any suggestions you wise, wonderful people may have!

Check the venue's web site, they *SHOULD* have calorie info for their menu.
  • smc92079
    smc92079 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    smc92079 wrote: »

Check the venue's web site, they *SHOULD* have calorie info for their menu.

Yeah, I tried that. It's a place with only two locations. No nutrition info on their website.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you want to celebrate. Go ahead and do it.
    Just log everything. Try to be on the conservative side and look up the meals.
    Who cares if people see you logging.
    The food is going into your body.

No need to hide and pretend like you're doing something illegal
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could do a "quick add" for a calorie estimate. (It is on the drop down menu on the diary page). Keep it reasonable, don't overdo it on cheese or deep fried, and you'll be alright........ This is for life.
  • db121215
    db121215 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Nosh on only the 'safer' foods. Chicken, seafoods, veggies, etc. Do a quick add with an overestimate. Can't always account for everything all the time. IMO, all that matters is that most of the time it's entirely accurate. Plus, noshing on small amount of good foods isn't going to derail you. Noshing on fried appetizers would.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    i have a food set up called "appetizers" at 250 cals. I just add the number of portions based on a SWAG guess of what I ate. But to have it "on the record"
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    When I have events like this, I load up my plate rather than grazing, and take a picture of the plate before I start to eat (if anyone notices, hey, it's for social media!). Then I'll do my best to estimate the next day, rounding up.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I have events like this, I load up my plate rather than grazing, and take a picture of the plate before I start to eat (if anyone notices, hey, it's for social media!). Then I'll do my best to estimate the next day, rounding up.

This is a brilliant idea