am i allowed to eat less to makeup for eating too much today

hi i ate too much food today can i eat a lot less than 1200 calories tomorrow to makeup for it? i was exercising really good this week and i dont wanna ruin it

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    What does your mother think?
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited July 2017
    I look at my weekly average so I can be a bit under or over some days and it all evens out in the end. I wouldn't go a lot under 1200 though. No need to make yourself miserable.
  • JFWC1995
    JFWC1995 Posts: 1 Member
    Yes, one day of lower calories is no problem. A lot of people do the 5:2 diet which means 500 calories on 2 days a week and it's considered healthy
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I look at my weekly average so I can be a bit under or over some days and it all evens out in the end. I wouldn't go a lot under 1200 though. No need to make yourself miserable.

I agree with this, absolutely. The few times I tried to really undereat one day to make up for a high calorie day, it threw me off balance for another couple of days and gave me unusually strong cravings and mood swings. No need for that!

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Generally yes, just don't overdo it. If it's a big deficit, spread it out over a few days. You can also excersise a half hour longer for a couple days to cover it.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    hi i ate too much food today can i eat a lot less than 1200 calories tomorrow to makeup for it? i was exercising really good this week and i dont wanna ruin it

No. One day is not going to ruin the entire effort.

Get back on track tomorrow, and make more of an effort to stay on track. Having a slip day happens, we've all had it. Go for an extra walk or bike ride or something active and fun if you want a little extra calorie boost, but mostly just focus on doing better going forward.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Eating "too much" one day and then massively under eating the next (your OP said a "lot" less than 1200 which would definitely be under eating) to make up for it can be a recipe for binge and restrict cycles - under eating is more likely to make you then want to over eat in future. This is not good for you, mentally or physically.

A weekly overview of calories helps, but really one day over cannot mess anything up long term, just log it and move on.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I would be very careful with that. While it's okay to do occasionally if you're not hungry or as a strategy to balance calories, the mental state that motivates this behavior can be a fragile line you should do everything in your power not to cross. Are you doing this to punish yourself because you are feeling guilty for overeating? What do you consider "eating too much"? Did you you feel like you lost control and now trying to forcefully and desperately assert control over your eating by going low?

Overeating happens. Even naturally thin people overeat every now and then. It's normal and it doesn't make you a bad person. Depending on how much you ate you may even still be in a deficit. Calmly and strategically having a low day to balance calories is alright, anxiety and guilt driven undereating is not.
  • Actually not really.but eat more sensibly...Hv more protein and less carb and u r done..Remember even fruits hv that hidden carbs...Hv pure protein..Like in eggs..Meat..Or protein pwd..For me 2 things that helped me most are protein powder and coffee...My trade secret <3