Cake

My Mom has been promising to make me this gooey butter cake for well over 6 months and now that I have started dieting, to lower my sugar levels, she makes the cake. I am so tempted to dive right on in and eat me a huge chunk of this cake. It's my favorite one ever, but I know I shouldn't. If I don't eat some of it she will have her feelings hurt but I don't want to go off my diet. Oh btw I live with her and she knows I on the diet. What should I do???

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Eat a small piece instead of a massive piece. Enjoy
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Have a little piece of that cake! Does she share recipes?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Don't fear the cake. You are in control of how much of it you eat, if any. I would personally have a small piece, hug my mom, say thanks, and not have any more. I would probably eat it slowly to appreciate its texture and flavor. If your mom pressures you to have a second piece or more the next day, you just smile and say it's so tasty, thanks for making it, but no.

It's cherry season where I live. The tree is absolutely loaded with fruit. In the past two weeks, I've made pies, crumbles, cobblers and bread. I save up some calories and have a small piece about every other night. I log it, and I'm still within my calorie goal. It hasn't derailed my progress, and I feel good that I've exerted control over what I put in my mouth. Because I never have a second piece.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    The best rule in life.

"If mom makes food, EAT it"

Some of us never get it these days.

I have to agree with this one.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    The best rule in life.

If your mom makes food I might eat it. If my mom makes, food -- I get carry out. Worst cook ever. Her specialty is beef-A-roni.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Take a tiny sliver and log it.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    The best rule in life.

I second this agreement. Enjoy!
  • leoraking
    leoraking Posts: 300 Member

She would if it was hers to share. It's a Paula Dean cake mix you can buy from any of her stores or online. It was delicious. I had a piece three days in a row and logged it every time. I maxed my calories out those three days but it waa worth it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    In my house, I am the one who makes the special stuff.

This week my middle daughter had a birthday and requested that I make a coffee cake. She's referring to a Bisquick coffee cake that I frequently made in my muy gordo past. So, I did. I put it into the recipe tool and calculated the calories per gram of it. She cut the cake into 1/8 portions. I weighed one of the portions and found that it was 170 calories.

??

That's not so bad. I took a piece to work each day for my lunch W-F. It's gone. It was good. Life shall go on.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    leoraking wrote: »

She would if it was hers to share. It's a Paula Dean cake mix you can buy from any of her stores or online. It was delicious. I had a piece three days in a row and logged it every time. I maxed my calories out those three days but it waa worth it.

A happy ending!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    leoraking wrote: »

Looks like you made a decision you're happy with, but just to put you even more at ease: If you mean you maxed out the calories the app wants you to eat then you did not go off plan at all. You are supposed to max out these calories. If you max them out every single day (and then some if you're exercising) you will still lose weight as planned.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    The best rule in life.

so true...you'll miss the day when your dear mommy won't be able to cook/bake anything for herself or the day she no longer is here
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Absolutely have a small piece otherwise you will feel deprived.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Adherence is a big part of this journey. Mindset is - for me - the biggest thing. If you constantly (or, occasionally) feel like you are "constantly sacrificing" then eventually you will stop. That is failure, to me. Not continuing on this journey is the only way that we can fail.

If you subscribe to the "IIFYM" or "Flexible Dieting" way of nutrition then you know that you have a budget: calories, proteins, carbs, fats. Just take a modest to decent size slice of cake, track it and move on to the next meal.

I do not like the term "diet" because for many it has a negative connotation. It - for a lot of people - means "sacrifice". It also - often - stems from an unhealthy relationship with food. Food is fuel. Nothing more (well......we all know that is not 100% true....food is often the center of social situations....).

Have your slice of cake, kiss your mom and tell her Thank you and don't worry about the cake. Just make sure that it fits within your budget. That - if I might be a bit blunt (and, no disrespect intended) - should be the only concern. Does it fit my budget for today? Yes - awesome. Enjoy! No - cool! Tomorrow.

And, IIFYM translates to "If It Fits Your Macros".....