Does anyone have one of those airfryers?

Clawsal
Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
Does anyone have one of those airfryers that lets you deep-fry but uses way less oil?

How does the food taste?

Replies

• tammierlewis
    tammierlewis Posts: 564 Member
    I also have the Power XL and love it. Empanadas, turnovers, pot pie, fried/blackened fish, calamari, shrimp,turkey legs, endless list. I use a spritz of olive oil or coconut oil spray on foods like yucca or plantain.
  • LindaCan2
    LindaCan2 Posts: 22 Member
    I have one. It's the Philips analog model. Absolutely love it. I have the pan and the grill and the kabob rack. I use all three accessories. The food tastes great. I especially love sweet potato fries, grilled salmon, pork chops, and Tuscany chicken. I highly recommend the Philips and am not paid to say this. If you have a good quality air fryer, the food does tastes fried. You get what you pay for; that's why Philips is the best.
  • cherylstone124
    cherylstone124 Posts: 1 Member
    I have one and we cook chicken wings with no oil, they are juicy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. We use it for sweet potatoes, pork ribs it's awesome...
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    I have a Phillips Air Fryer and it's in use almost every day. I use it to make chips and crisp up the skins on jacket spuds that I've microwaved and its great for the other halves breaded things like scampi and fish fingers. I've found that it smokes a little if I'm cooking really fatty things like sausages or bacon in it but it's very versatile and I even do apple crumbles in there.

As my one is a relatively small air fryer I tend to use the Halogen oven for anything bigger like whole chickens or if I want to pop a cake or chops in

Definitely a welcome addition to my kitchen and doesn't take up too much counter space
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited July 2017
    I have the phillips xl and love it too. I do usually put my chips in a bag and coat with a little oil just to get a more authentic deep fried type chip. But no oil comes out ok too.
  • Clawsal
    edited July 2017
    Thank you for your answers! I think I will be buying one in the very near future. I already bake items in the oven that are supposed to be fried, such as french fries or samosa, as well as chicken etc. So I hope the air fryer will add a bit of crispiness and be quicker and use less energy than the oven.

However I am mostly cooking for myself and the Philips xl seems a bit big for one person.

Also, does anybody know if I can bake precooked bread buns in an air fryer?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Clawsal wrote: »
    Thank you for your answers! I think I will be buying one in the very near future. I already bake items in the oven that are supposed to be fried, such as french fries or samosa, as well as chicken etc. So I hope the air fryer will add a bit of crispiness and be quicker and use less energy than the oven.

However I am mostly cooking for myself and the Philips xl seems a bit big for one person.

Also, does anybody know if I can bake precooked bread buns in an air fryer?

You can cook anything you would cook in a toaster oven. So yes. It is literally a toaster oven with a fan. Physically, and literally. It is a heated coil with a fan above a non stick bin that helps swirl the air around.

The bin size of the smaller air fryers are pretty narrow, even for one person, if you're going to get one, get the larger one. Just don't be shocked when food doesn't come out "fried" so much as "toasted". Air fryers make a pretty big claim that they fall short on.
  • Clawsal
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Yes, I bought a gowise air fryer after reading this recent thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569656/air-fryer-a-wonderful-thing#latest

My ultimate conclusion is they're a waste of money. Get a good toaster oven or good convection oven and you'll get roughly the same results. It's just a toaster oven with a fan. It cooks fast because of the convection, but it does not, in any shape or form, make things come out anything near "fried" beyond what a toaster oven can do.

Yes to all of this.
    I told him but he would not listen haha :)

Lol I guess I am the same... as I just ordered one. I will come back and tell you my experience in a few days! :)
  • LindaCan2
    LindaCan2 Posts: 22 Member
    I highly recommend the Philips regular size analog. Watch for it on Amazon for great price. It tastes like "fried" if you use the Philips.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Many people say just buy a toaster oven. Read the reviews in Amazon.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    The philips air fryer is a heated coil with a fan. It is physically and literally a toaster oven with circulated air. Food is not capable of tasting "fried" unless it is seasoned/battered and cooked with a liquid fat. At that point a toaster oven would yeild a very similar result.

There is nothing magical here.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I was looking at these too... What about the ones that use oil? Is that just the same as oven cooking with a bit of oil then? Pah!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    The theory is that the fan drives the air much faster than in a conventional fan oven, so creating faster transfer of heat to the food, so less moisture loss and crispier results. I have never used one so I don't know how successful it is. I can easily imagine there's a huge difference between cheap versions and the real deal.
  • SeptemberRain81
    SeptemberRain81 Posts: 170 Member
    The philips air fryer is a heated coil with a fan. It is physically and literally a toaster oven with circulated air. Food is not capable of tasting "fried" unless it is seasoned/battered and cooked with a liquid fat. At that point a toaster oven would yeild a very similar result.

There is nothing magical here.

Totally need a dislike button here.

I have made numerous things in my AF that taste just like they were deep fried. Not sure why you are hating on the AF so badly, maybe you have good reason, but you can't equate an AF and a toaster oven - so totally not the same.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    I love my air fryer! I don't understand all the hate toward air fryer's. Even my husband, who loves fried foods, was impressed with french after they came out of an air fryer!
  • slim4lyf
    slim4lyf Posts: 33 Member
    I have a 2 people household after the kids moved out and believe in down sizing my appliances as well. The large ones were too big for my personal use plus use up a lot of space . I bought the smaller Black and Decker during thanksgiving sales last year which is still making more fries than I should eat :-) but I use it a lot . I do not bake sweets in it but i use it for meat balls as well as veggie burgers ,chicken Breast , Pork tenderloin etc. Bakes faster with lower heat . There are a ton of links and ideas on Pinterest . I even use it to warm up frozen baguette and it turns out great . Unless you have a family to feed I would go smaller . ( this is from a "seasoned" cook )