Bulking help

I have my app set to gain .5 per week and I'm trying to bulk I'm scared that the calories the app is telling my to intake is to much and I'm gonna gain the fat I lost again.l

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Then it will be a good idea to keep track of your calories and stay on point to see how you do.
    I mean honestly you don't give a lot of info about yourself....so 0.5 lbs per week may be a lot for you or it may not be...
    I personally can drop weight really quick.....actually packing on weight is far harder.
    So 0.5 lb gain a week for me is laughable.
  • jschaaf1999
    jschaaf1999 Posts: 11 Member
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    Then it will be a good idea to keep track of your calories and stay on point to see how you do.
    I mean honestly you don't give a lot of info about yourself....so 0.5 lbs per week may be a lot for you or it may not be...
    I personally can drop weight really quick.....actually packing on weight is far harder.
    So 0.5 lb gain a week for me is laughable.
    I'm 5'9 and I weigh 146 and it's recommending I eat 2,980 cals a day
  • Azucchi20
    Azucchi20 Posts: 3 Member
    That's pretty reasonable. Adjust the macro goals if you're worried about body fat gain and increase the protein while dropping the carbs (a bit). Maybe try 40% carbs, 30-35% protein, and fill the rest with fats.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    So see how 3000 calories do for you. Since you are trying to bulk, accept the fact you will put on fat...
    With that in mind, be willing to hit around 170 lbs before you start freaking out.
    But this also assumes you are busting *kitten* and making use of the calories in the gym.
    I am 6'1" and currently ~166 lbs. I am fine with being 180-185 over the course of my bulking periods....If I were to get to 190 - 195 I would be fine there, but would not try to get higher.
    But as I stated I also know that in about 2-3 weeks, I could drop my weight pretty quick to ~178 lbs.

So you have to play with things and find out what your comfortable with, and also accept that you will add on fat during a bulk.
  • jschaaf1999
    jschaaf1999 Posts: 11 Member
    Cool thank you both of you I'm new to this whole thing I dropped down from 207 to 146 now I just want to get muscle
  • loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    If you're gaining too much then adjust your calorie intake. Don't be afraid to try new things and see what works for you. If you put on a little excess fat the world won't end, it will come back off. Just enjoy the bulk for now!
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    As long as you are following a structured lifting program and eating a calorie surplus you'll gain about 50%/50% muscle/fat as you gain weight.

At 0.5 lb per week, you'll be in a nice place to gain a higher percentage of muscle than fat. Once you get closer to 1 lb and more per week more fat will come on. Just watch you're weekly averages, I think you'll be fine.