Check-in: Changing it Up

themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
If you are participating in this week's challenge to increase the variety of foods eaten this week, how is it going for you?

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,729 Member
    edited July 2017
    Well, I had this week pretty well planned out with so old reliables, but I am going to a convention this weekend, and that will definitely push me out of my comfort zone food wise. Being on MFP has helped me eat new things. When a friend has something interesting in a diary or shares a recipe, I am pushed to try new things. Last week I tried black bean brownies, and they were pretty good. It was kind of nice having a guilty-tasting snack.

I really think variety in food is so important when losing weight. Many times folks eat the same thing day in and day out : coffee and a yogurt for breakfast, and a sandwich for lunch, and chicken breast and undressed salad for dinner. Then they can't figure out why they have trouble sticking with their diet.

• jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    I'm not participating this week because this isn't really a challenge for me. I can't eat the same thing day in day day out it would drive me mad! I might see if there's any new vegetables that I can try make something out of this weekend though,
  • themedalist
    77tes wrote: »
    Well, I had this week pretty well planned out with so old reliables, but I am going to a convention this weekend, and that will definitely push me out of my comfort zone food wise. Being on MFP has helped me eat new things. When a friend has something interesting in a diary or shares a recipe, I am pushed to try new things. Last week I tried black bean brownies, and they were pretty good. It was kind of nice having a guilty-tasting snack.

I really think variety in food is so important when losing weight. Many times folks eat the same thing day in and day out : coffee and a yogurt for breakfast, and a sandwich for lunch, and chicken breast and undressed salad for dinner. Then they can't figure out why they have trouble sticking with their diet.

I think you've hit it on the head, @77tes. So many dieters want a list of what they can and cannot eat on their diet. I don't think many people can stick with that approach long term. It leads to feelings of deprivation.
  • themedalist

jesspen91 wrote: »
    I'm not participating this week because this isn't really a challenge for me. I can't eat the same thing day in day day out it would drive me mad! I might see if there's any new vegetables that I can try make something out of this weekend though,

That's awesome, @jesspen91! Your varied diet really helps ensure you are getting all the micronutrients you need!
  • themedalist
    We went to the CSA yesterday and picked up some tomatillos. That's a new food for me! Looking up some recipes today. Any favorites that you have for using tomatillos would be greatly appreciated.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    For this challenge I chose cabbage. Although I have eaten cabbage with corned beef and coleslaw, I want to try it other ways. I am picky. I almost bought artichokes and an eggplant. No, not ready yet. I will go on Pinterest and try new cabbage recipes.
  • pkotterman
    pkotterman Posts: 83 Member
    I'm late this week- but this has been a great challenge. I've tried several "clean" recipes and find it refreshing. I'm starting to lose my carb cravings- and when I have one I choose a great nut and seed granola I found. This week I had a smoothie bowl for breakfast one day- like eating ice cream! And I made a great avocado, spinach and quinoa salad I found in Pinterest. Today I bought Clean Eating magazine and read it cover to cover.
    My real
    Challenge is travel and socializing. I LOVE good wine and beer- and great restaurants. It's very hard to be disciplined when no one else in the group really is. I'll keep working at it.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited July 2017
    The main thing that I did this week for the Changing it Up challenge was to make a pan of roasted vegetables. I have been wanting to try this but had never actually done it yet.

I gathered all the veggies that I had on hand that I use in all my usual ways and decided to experiment with roasting them and see how it turned out. So I searched for recipes to get some ideas as I have never purposely roasted veggies except to roast the usual potatoes, onions, and carrots with a venison or beef pot roast. And the veggies are always so awesome when I do that.

I did not have any potatoes or whole carrots or other root veggies on hand that day that many of the recipes included, which was ok because my goal was to change it up and not end up with a version of a meatless pot roast experience. And to use up what I had on hand before going grocery shopping later in the week.

I had a lot of a variety of yellow squash with a very thick outer skin (from my son's garden) which became the main veggie for this experiment, some green and yellow onions, various colors of mini sweet peppers and green bell peppers, shredded carrots, mushrooms, and whatever was in the drawer that I am perhaps forgetting, that needed to be used up. So I chopped and tossed them with olive oil and a mix of the various seasonings suggested in the recipes.

The vegetables turned out very tasty, but of course softer in texture overall (except for the outer portion of the yellow squash, which added a great crunchiness) than if it had been a majority of root vegetables. But I really enjoyed them. So I ate them with eggs the next morning, and with whatever I ate at either lunch or supper for a few days. It was actually a fun and tasty way to completely change up several meals and also help use up some of the squash and other veggies in a different way.

This coming week I'm going to buy some small potatoes and a bag of carrots, and perhaps something else that catches my fancy, and roast up the last of that yellow squash and whatever I have on hand at home.

This challenge was fun, and ended up being surprisingly tasty as well. Thank you so much.....

:flowerforyou: