WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    1192464lrz2y0w8ko.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    DJ: Congratulations on 49 years of marriage! :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Dr. Katie: You've made a great choice for your boundary. "Simple" is very powerful. :star:

Lanette: Yes, the skies are hazy here but not yet as bad as they were during last year's fires. I worry about our Canadian friends in BC. :sad:

Re: Glad to see your post. DH & I like soup, too, but seldom have it in the summer to avoid heating the kitchen when weather is hot. I just can't make myself like cold soups although I know that many people enjoy them. :ohwell:

Becca: (((HUGS))) You surely raised good sons. I love the shared cup of tea. :star:

Michele: We have been invited to an eclipse party in Western Idaho. DSIL says they've found a great spot where we should be able to see the total eclipse. We're both excited about going. :star:

Barbie: I think your money will be well spent fixing up your home. You will be able to enjoy the improvements for a long time to come. :bigsmile:

Dorrie in Vegas: Welcome! :smiley:

Lisa: I agree with Sharon in Lethbridge, "Lisa - No judgment here. You are being extremely hard on yourself, be kind. You knew you had a problem and have been trying to find a solution. We are with you. You are strong in so many ways. Stand Proud!"

Allie: (((HUGS)))

trulydivyn: I type all of my replies on a word document that I have open on my desktop beside the thread. Then I copy and past the post to the thread. This system works very well for me. You will find favorite strategies as you go along. I seldom do anything from my phone other than record my food and exercise. It does very well at that job and I always have it nearby so I can record calories accurately as I consume them. :flowerforyou:

It is likely to be very hot today and now is the best time to get outside and do something. I'm going to try to talk DH into going with me while I walk the dog. His mobility scooter is making a big difference for the better by enabling him to get out and enjoy life again. Yay!!!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • trulydivyn725
    trulydivyn725 Posts: 92 Member
    @Katla49 thank you for the welcome...also, I'm one in the same with Dorrie in Vegas (however, I hear we all have a twin somewhere)...just in case that wasn't clear? BTW, I grew up in Medford...attended my 35yr HS reunion last summer...man how time gets by us when we're not looking! Enjoy the warm weather - more so than my family in Medford who report it's supposed to be record breaking 115 degrees there today...I cringe for them as I sit in the furnace of Vegas heat and sip my ice water..."but it's a dry heat" is a common response to the Vegas heat questions us locals get...I've been here over 30rys so I'm used to the heat!! Go figure I also have a home in sunny/steamy Florida where the REAL heat lives! So, thanks for the tip on keeping a word doc open on the desktop...I'll see if I can't incorporate that option from my laptop at home. I'm gifted with access to MFP on my work desktop and would probably get confused if I tried to multi task two word docs in both places...especially since at home I can see all the cool icons to do fancy stuff but here at work, there's no such option...
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    edited August 2017
    Dana – love seeing the photos of Bob and Dolly! Sorry to hear about Jessica’s troubles – glad to hear you are heading down to see her in October.

Becca – your menu planning is terrific. Thank you for sharing, I run out of ideas on what to cook. With this warmer weather, I’m like Katla – don’t want to heat up the kitchen. DH had a cup of noodles for supper last night and I had a small grilled cheese and fruit. Might be repeats of that today and tomorrow. Neat you could have tea with your DS! Love that quilt! And that police dog B)

Katla – hope you can make it to the Eclipse viewing. I heard someone refer to it as the “Apocalypse” – for folks stuck in traffic driving to and from the viewing area, that might be true. I remember a fairly substantial eclipse one summer when I was a kid in Northern Indiana. It did get pretty dark in the afternoon…we were anxious to see the if the chickens were going to roost for a while!

Barbie – how exciting for you and Jake getting the new deck! Glad he’s taking initiative to reduce sodium.

DJ – wow, your daughter had a close call. I always think of muggers as being greasy guys. I would have been very surprised to have been pounced on by a woman!

Heather
    - Hard boiled eggs in the IP will be my next endeavor, likely this weekend.

Felicia – glad you are enjoying Disneyland – nice to have some cuddle time with your son.

Welcome newbies and returnees....

Keep cool, ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Lanette - You could make a lovely chilled soup in the Instant Pot. Gazpacho? Vichysoise? From what I read on the Facebook group people love it because it doesn't heat up the kitchen. I wish we had that problem. Rainy and chilly here. :'(

I've been spending the afternoon sorting out my toiletries and medicines, plus underwear. Did I tell you that I HATE packing! Have a whole big bag full of stuff. :o
    My cleaner got here eventually and is still hoovering away. I had to ring the car people. They are coming at 10 am on Friday. We will have to pick some other people up, but it's so much better than air travel. No restrictions.
    Soon to put the IP on for sweet potatoes and Barbecoa Beef. Plus snow peas on the stove.
    Very distracted and medicating with a glass of pastis. >:)
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Hi ladies -

Back from a great water class. Paying bills now. Planning to chill out some and then sort and pitch some more. Feels so good to be back with all of you.

Heather - what is the mystery (to me anyway) trip you are taking? I missed all of July so would love to hear a little more detail.

Becca and Beth - (((((HUGS)))))

Dana - I am rejoicing in your baptism with you! I was raised Presbyterian and we were sprinkled as kids. Well, then I taught in a Southern Baptist school and my son was a second grader there. We were required to be members in the church to work there. Around Christmas time, he became very persistent that we both needed to be baptized Baptist style. I can still hear him saying "Sprinkling isn't the real deal, mama!" He won me over and we were both baptized on Mother's Day that spring. Very memorable for me.

Catch ya later!

TNToni
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Hi friends. It’s nice to see you all again. Not much going on here. Saturday is DH’s birthday so I am trying to get organized for his party. Since this is his 65th and since he will be away for a while, I thought I would have a birthday party for him.

TNToni: do you go to al-anon? I would highly recommend it. I attend s-anon and I think it saved my life when I was so desperate.

Katla: I use the HALT acronym too. It does work.

Allie: how are you doing? I’m so sorry for your loss.

DJ: holy cow I’m so glad DD was ok!

Dana: What is the TWC group? Roscoe’s information is on the Beagles and Basset rescue of the heartland web page. http://www.bassetandbeagle.org/adoptable_dogs/ We saw Dunkirk too and thought it was awesome.
    Glad DD is getting away from hubby!

Bwcetc: just keep on trying~! We all have our bad days/weeks/months, etc

Re: send me some of that chicken soup…sounds grand!

Becca: gorgeous K9!

Michele: I so admire you and all the things you do!

Dorrie: hi and welcome!

Machka: I so recommend Depo Provera shots during those pesky peri-menopausal years. I had virtually no symptoms!

Lisa: this is a no-judgement zone! 

Lisa: Fail Better! I love it!!!

Ugh oh…my co-worker is crying. She has a kid with ADHD and autism. I better go see what happened. She was in my office and got a phone call and left. Yikes. Take care, Meg from Omaha
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited August 2017
    Rori – Yeah, I am, unfortunately beginning to think “car-ma”, too. Even my youngest son thinks it. That doesn’t make me feel particular good. Last night because I was still ‘upset’ I had an ‘aura’; but, the issue never presented. I have pretty much the same ‘aura’ before a seizure or a bipolar episode (makes my medications not work for me; but, I have been put on a chorlestorl-lowing medication and have not felt like myself since. Told my PsycheMD on the 24th about it. Just wait and see. I am determined to ‘try not to have either’. Today I feel better, thank you, Jesus! I told Louis after I called him, that 3x in less than 15 months – I almost don’t even want to drive it … he could take it and his truck and trade it in on a ‘new-to-him’ pick-up truck. I’m still feeling the same way. Wouldn’t be any different than being on a ‘driving restriction’ when I am not supposed to drive it for 6 months without having a seizure consecutively. I’ve only had one extended for 3 months. Just makes things inconvenient for Louis. Means he would have to do the grocery shopping! I think I am ‘stuck’ with it. If the other insurance adjuster doesn’t call this week – might have to drive it damaged to Louisiana and we can’t even open the damn door and there is a huge gap in it and if it rains might cause more damage and they’ll probably try to get ‘out of fixing it’. But, if that happens and I have to file it on mine, that bitchy (if men can be that) old fart is going to be sued for it. I do not want my carpet to get wet and start making the car smell moldy. If we put tape on it … the sun (or rain) might affect the paint under it. Right at the moment Mr. Perry says it, at the least, needs a ‘new’ door; handle was damaged so it is not like they can plunger out the metal.

Becca – That is the cutest quilt I have seen in a long time.

Dorrie – The emoties are ones you have to have a program of them. I can’t get them because my ‘security’ won’t let me. They can sometimes have issues that might affect the running of your computer. You can put ‘smiley’ faces on them. I just wish the myfitnesspal would add the ones you can put into a PM (private message). Changing colors is easy … you’d type a left bracket [ then color=red, the a right bracket ] no spaces and it will show up when you post. If it doesn’t it means you’ve got an ‘error’ in it. To change it back do the same thing with the word ‘black’ after the equal’s mark.
    or

If you want to bold whatever color you use; you’ll have to type in the color instructions before hitting the first icon that will bold the word.

I’m not sure about ever (for myself) getting in 5K or 10K steps in. Suggest getting a pedometer. I once got in 4K while moving my sofa and 2 chairs to change the location; but, after that had to move them back because Louis did not like the. No way for him to read even with a floor lamp between them. We have a table lamp and now we have lamps on either side of the window that pulls out over our respective chairs. I don’t eat back my calories; but, some do. I got put on a medical weight loss program because I had started gaining 1 to 2 pounds a month; and, I needed to be losing that (or more) to lose, exercise more, drink more water.

Machka and Rye – My Mother was ‘always’ a hat person as long as I could remember; she’d even make a trip from our home town down to Albany, to buy hats at a ‘black’ hat shop. She could always find just the right hat to go with clothes she made. One day I went with her and they had a brimmed hat and it was made totally of peacock feathers, I went straight to it. It was beautiful; but, Mother wouldn’t try it on after the lady told her that it was $1200. Mother laughed and told her she could buy 4 or 5 hats for that price, and she did. But, like I said, it was beautiful. Mother never wore the same hat with the same dress; she’d have 2 or 3 dresses so her look, was different. I was the ‘only’ child who never wore a hat; and, they sort of went out of style for children less than 3 years later. My middle sister hated her ‘last’ hat. I kid her about it all the time, just to see her get ‘riled up’ and change the conversation from ‘politics’ or ‘religion’. It works every time.

Your comment is probably so to Rori. There are a lot of people here who are trying to learn a ‘foreign 2nd language.

Machka – I was surgery-induce into menopausal; but, taking the replacement hormones only made it worst, the week I was ‘off’ them. I was a shrew with anybody who came 1000 feet in front of me. Then I went on them 365/7 and not much improvement. Tried it without and was great; but, then got diagnosed with bipolar disorder and while I swung to the manic side; only once did I hit through the ice to the other side. All my meds were ‘whacked out’ and I spent 3 weeks in the hospital 2 hours plus away to get them straightened out. I stopped going to an Albany (or Phoebe Putney Hospital) because I had met my ‘match’ with the PsycheMD I was assigned to. It was apparent that she thought if you had what is considered a ‘mental illness’ then you had to be ‘stupid’. How I disliked that woman; but, she’ll never get the chance to treat another ‘in-patient’ the same way – her hospital privileges got terminated when he contract ran out. Too ‘mental’ herself and a possible ‘malpractice’ liability for the hospital. After she told me ‘she’d “fix me” … not in a good way; I turned it around on her and ‘fixed her’. Whenever any place tries to hire her and check to see if she has had any complaints filed against her, it is always and forever on her record with the state; she can’t even move out of state and probably have hospital privileges if they check her record. Next best thing to suing someone, did not have to ‘live it all over in a trial’.

I take Evening Primrose Oil – like a stupid ‘horse’ pill! So far, I’ve never had any of the symptoms of menopausal issues. Cross my fingers and knock on wood, I have not just ‘jinked’ myself (again).

I get (got) Social Security Disability for nearly 20 years; now, that I am of retirement age; it is now Social Security Income … but, it never dropped down. I don’t know what the difference might have been if I had been able to work until early retirement (62) or full retirement (age has been upped). But, I also get a ‘retirement check’ – I don’t know if it is considered ‘income’ since it would have been ‘taxed’ while I was still working off the top. I don’t ‘think’ my retirement is taxed because it falls under the cap of $35K a year. But, my COBRA’ed insurance is taken out of it; and, I only get about ½ of what I would if I did not ‘have’ to keep insurance to cover Louis and to ‘pay for my medication’. We could not afford to not be able to have insurance pay a portion of our medication. Mail order for name brand drugs only $85; generic $10 up to 4; then everything else – I get locally at Kmart because one is a ‘controlled substance prescription’ and it can’t be mailed. I still keep those medications on my local pharmacy list, so they can tell if any ‘new’ medication would have an interaction or completely whack out any combination. Louis takes a breathing medication that we get through mail order; because to get 90 days worth; it would be over 3x as much for just 30 of them.

Sharon – Is your husband a house painter? Mine is, has been for 35 years (full time, before that it was a 2nd job). We were planning on taking an extra week for vacation; but, he has too many jobs on the books to do that and leave it with son, his brother, and another worker. Other than Trey the other two get slower and slower, or don’t show up for some reason if we are gone. His brother just missed a week due to ‘food poisoning’ from eating Sushi from Publix. After about the 4th day of not showing up or calling, Louis called him. He told him that if he did not call his MD, he was going to come by and take him to ER. Such a ‘stubborn donkey’. Just like his Dad; but, he does not like hearing that.

Allie – You are probably right about things going downhill after all that; but, it won’t be you and don’t LET it be you. You’re strong … you can handle anything. Let those tears shed getting everything in the mini-fridge be your last. Try not to even ‘cry’ at the funeral, Margaret is in a better place with no pain. I know you will because she has been someone you’ve taken care of; but, none of the ‘divorce’ stuff is worth shedding tears over. It will be over soon enough and then you will know that you don’t have to put up with the TomCat in your house. He’ll be an ‘outside’ TomCat.

My FnL, nor his 2 brothers were ever sent to Europe during WWII; because they were 2nd generation French-Americans. Their Dad came over when he was only 8 years old. Spoke French all his life, until they (Dixie Crystal workers in Shreveport, LA) could teach him how to speak, read, and write English because they needed to send him to Port Wentworth, GA when they built the Dixie-Crystal Sugar Refinery there; but, he still spoke French when at home and he could ‘cuss’ in French and always did. Louis said he was a card! Eight living children, one stillborn because the only place big enough on the ‘reservation’ (company owned housing) was the recreation hall and they had to wash it down with lye to make sure it did not have a lice infestation. Little Grannie had felt the baby moving up until a couple of days after standing over a boiling lye pot.

Heather – Do you run cool water over your eggs when peeling them? That helps ‘most of the time’ plus putting a little salt in the water. Crack them at the narrow end, because when boiled they form a pocket. Doing this won’t cool them off too much, would still be formed. How long does it take to cook eggs in the IP?

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    I'm not sure how far the closest eclipse viewing is from us. I think it is about 40 miles. We aren't going because this little town's population is going to be probably quadrupled or more that day. And you are right, the traffic and parking situation will be awful. Our museum is offering several types of tours for some high prices. The most expensive will be a luxury coach bus along with a gourmet meal and an expert lecturing on the way down. The other tour is you drive yourself down but it will offer a parking lot for you. The eclipse at this place I think is 2 minutes 40 seconds. So we will stay here and I'm sure see a partial. My niece is coming up form Arkansas to go with her parents to Hokinsville KY to see the big total eclipse. She loves photography and I'm sure she will try to get some pictures. There are many places here in town offering the eclipse glasses for free.

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    :)Lanette, yesterday I noticed the hazy sky and didn't know what it was until you mentioned the fires. When I walked the dogs at midnight the moon was orange. This morning at sunrise the sun was super orange. Jake had to quit working outside this morning because he had trouble breathing.

:)Katla, we got a quote on the concrete patio and Jake says it will cost less than a deck. The deck will be done in October after the painting and the gutters are done

:) housework, dancing, and dog walking have been my exercise so far today. I practiced some of the dances for our performance.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,746 Member
    Machka … I haven’t had much luck with pre-logging. It’s the upheaval of my days that is causing the problem, disrupting my plans for meal times and meal preparation.

Becca.… hugs …

Michele … I have heard of the tag on the bottom right and wonder if it is accurate … because I have a dickens of a time trying to figure out which is top and bottom on my king size bedding.

Not Hungry/Eating only when hungry” … I always want to eat … whether it’s associated with actual/physical hunger is another thing and not always easily discernible.

Beth near Buffalo
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Toni - We are going on a 16 night cruise around the Baltic. I need to take long dresses for the "formal" nights, plus smart dresses for the "smart" nights. The rest is smart casual. Weather unpredictable, could be chilly, or muggy or wet. Luckily we do not have luggage restrictions. My toiletries, medicines etc take up a whole hand luggage bag! I haven't started on shoes! I am looking forward to visiting all the different countries, including Russia and Estonia, both of which are new to me.
    Our car is booked for pick up at 10 am on Friday. There will be another couple to pick up and I expect we will stop on the way for restroom etc. I will take an egg roll for lunch. Last year embarkation was at 2.15.
    We have the exact same cabin as last year - a suite with twin beds and deck access with outside seating. :D
    At the moment it is pouring with rain and blowing a gale outside. It is supposed to calm down a bit by the time we go! DH is not a good sailor. We have seasick pills. :o

Hope I sleep tonight. I think I have broken the back of the packing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2017
    Lanette: We are going to stay with DSIL who is co-hosting an eclipse party with her best friend. DSIL lives near the Idaho border. Her friend lives only a few miles away in Idaho on the other side of the Snake River from DSIL. They have found a spot in Western ID that should be nearly perfect viewing. I hope that it will be accessible for DH. We're taking his new mobility scooter. :bigsmile:

Heather: Hot & sunny weather can be overrated. My mom had a saying that I heard often growing up. "Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it." My guess is that you don't have excess heat and smoke in the air where you live. Enjoy your Baltic Cruise and share freely. Travelling vicariously though your eyes is likely the only chance I'll have to leave the N American continent in the near future. :flowerforyou:

TNToni: Welcome BAAAACK! :star:

Meg: I am so happy to see you posting again! :bigsmile:

Beth: “Not Hungry/Eating only when hungry” … Doesn't work for me. I always want to eat … whether it’s associated with actual/physical hunger is another thing and not always easily discernible." This is why I count calories. Hunger is an unreliable rascal that thinks of food as entertainment rather than fuel. I can't trust hunger, & I'll bet that is true for many of us. :grumble:

I wanted to go run some errands before it got too hot, and DH wanted a nap. The heat is now ramping up, and getting in a hot car is not appealing. The errands will wait. My weather app says it is 102F here right now, but it gets its information from a nearby airport. I think we're not quite that high here at home thanks to the cooling effect of the river beside us. We're probably close, though. Our place is often cooler than the street just a block up the hill from us. I am thankful for cooling help from the river and for air conditioning.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    evening ladies~
    just had a good thunderstorm blow through... i am in bed early... today was busy busy... tomorrow I have Tal all day.... but have alot to do around here tomorrow.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    stats for the day:

**wahoo hrm not recording :0/ **

all apple watch hr-

bike ride hm 2 gym- 12.26min, 14.1mph. 2.9mi = 97c
    Plyometrics exercises- 8.05min, 1ets of 20each, hamstring leglifts, push-ups, all 4's elbow to knee, reverse bicycles, leg lifts, pelvic lifts, crunches, sit-ups, on butt-knees to chest = 45c
    SPIN CLASS- 30min, 86ar, 96aw, 10-13g, 12.8mi = 251c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.28min, 13.1amph, 1.4mi = 43c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 14.30min, 12.6amph, 3mi = 112c
    jog sta 2 wk- 4.49min, 9.16min mi, .5mi = 54c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5.30min, 11.30min mi. Somehow that don't seem right, .4mi = 56c
    bike sumn sta 2 dentist- 1hr 5min 57sec, 10.9amph, 12mph winds!,11.9mi = 493c
    Dentist 2 hm- 8.23min, 9amph, windy!!, 1.2mi = 53c

total cal 1202