WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Replies

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Well that was a no go :( - I want to do it so badly but left knee slips and locks so cannot push the pedal hard enough to get it going. Guess I have to resign myself to the fact that while my mind says i can my knee won't be able to until it's replaced . . .grrrrr

Back to the elliptical - thankfully i am able to do a little bit on that.

Out for the night - see you tomorrow

Gloria <3

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
  • Sygamore
    Sygamore Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Everyone,just joined, after a week of apathy,so small steps,and not beat myself up as I try and make lifestyle changes,main problems,over eating and disorganised,so its going to be a struggle,after a successful few months in other ways,now to find routine I can stick with ,and get to do jobs which are sticking up,today,helping a friend,and focus on day 1 re food intake,and making a start,too many lie ins Bed),its as if I want to hibernate!
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Lenora- No, we have never been "Geode" hunting. Sounds like fun thourh

DJ - Happy to hear that the result was benign. What a huge relief.

Marcelyn- I would love to hear more about the "Caning Ceremony"

Lanette- I've never heard of eating avocado pits. Let us know how that goes.

Gloria- Sending good vibes for your knee to co-operate. The sandwich sounds delicious except for the cilantro. Oh, I see now that the knee didn't co-operate. I'm sorry.

Allie - I see that you are moving forward with things. I admire your strength and courage. Sending you support.

Today my daughter drove me to the clinic. That sucker hurt like blazes. I stopped at the 420 store and signed my form. I'm not ordering anything until I talk to my doctor.
    I took my daughter out for breakfast and we had a really good talk , just the two of us. The freezing was doing the job so I was able to return to the mall with Jheri so she could try on the gown that she fell in love with. I know she's my baby but Oh MY! she is stunning in this dress. I phoned sis to come down because we wanted to make sure that someone could do the minor alterations before she bought it. $500 dress on clearance for $200. This is for my niece's wedding "You can't be overdressed for my wedding" We sent her photos for approval. She says "I feel like you get my wedding" We took my sister to a shop where she found a very nice dress but we are not sure yet that it is "the dress" I want to try to lose a few pounds before I shop but not as crucial for me.

Didn't do much of anything today. The freezing starting coming out and Ouch. I've spent most of the day in the recliner because it hurts to stand or walk or sit upright for long. Larry made supper Lol. He bought pizza from Dominos. Why can't he figure out how to cook supper?

Tomorrow is busy, hope my back isn't worse. They told me it could get worse before everything starts working. I always think that won't happen and then it does. Hoping not to have to use the walker tomorrow and wondering why I made all those appointments in the afternoon. Something wrong with my head?

Discovered I still have our BC boys health care cards. Going to send them very soon.

Work tomorrow - Ugh!

-Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Morning! Lots of little things to do today and I will get them done! Right after I read the paper. The laundry is going and most dishes are in the machine. Going to pool-no matter how bad I feel going, it always is soothing and I feel better after.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    @cityjaneLondon ... really enjoying following your travels. :)
  • Machka9
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    did I tell you Kirby bought a go pro?? he wants to record the ride for memories... he is tinkering with it now so he can get the bugs out so by the time the ride gets here, he will have it down pat. I'm excited. he has a chest strap and a helmet strap.

My husband bought a go pro or something similar a year or so ago and has filmed me/us cycling a few times. I wasn't sure why he didn't use it more often, but apparently it filled up and you couldn't delete or move the files. Turns out there was some sort of known bug in the system. Not sure if he's been able to fix it yet.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Morning ladies~
    just checking in working 9-6 today
  • Machka9
    lhscapil wrote: »
    AVOCADOS....I've been buying bags of small ones at Grocery Outlet - they are ripe but keep in the fridge for a week. I am guessing they are equivalent to half a medium one, so dice one up in my salad every evening. I've been reading that the PITS have a lot of food value, I guess a person can peel them a shred them. Anyone here eating avocado pits?

The only way I like avocados is in guacamole. :grin: Preferably with nachos and refried beans nearby. :mrgreen:

• Machka9
    Australia is in the grip of cold/flu season and apparently it is worse than usual. My office has been wiped out with it ... and all our families as well.

Weird thing with this particular cold/flu ... this one doesn't seem to want to go away. We're sick for 5 days or a week, then we feel better for a few days and start thinking, "thank goodness that's done" ... and then it's back, but slightly different, for 5 days or a week, and on and on ...

I had all the body aches and fever for the first segment ... then started feeling better ... then went into the sore throat and lost voice ... then started feeling better ... and now I'm all congested and am having difficulty breathing.

I'm only 3 weeks into this ... I know some who have been battling it for nearly 2 months.

I've been taking all the vitamins, and wiping down my mouse, keyboard, phone, taps, door knobs and everything with germ killing stuff, and getting extra sleep, and drinking cups and cups of tea ....
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Tuesday! For all who were curious about Joaquin's helmet. His head has to get used to the pressure points. Think of it as braces for your head. Right now, he wears it for four hours, twice a day. When they take it off him, they have to check the pressure points, that leave a red mark, and as soon as the red marks go away within an hour, he will be wearing it all night (not necessary during the day at that point). It doesn't seem to bother him, except when he is fussy. He has always self soothed by running his fingers through his hair. With the helmet on, he has a hard time locating his hair, so DD moves his arm to his little tuft of hair and puts himself to sleep that way.
    Allie Really so proud of you and the progress you are making! Sending love!
    DJ- It was overcast here, also. So even though the kids and I were inside for the eclipse; it just looked like a typical overcast Michigan Monday. DYS was able to get out and see it a bit as the clouds moved around. We were not in the totality zone, so it really didn't get that dark. Funny side effect though. It got dimmer, kind of like it was 6 or 7 in the evening, and I immediately began to yawn. I struggled to stay awake until 9 last night. I googled that effect online and found out that our bodies secrete a "sleep" aid when the daylight begins to wane! So...our bodies begin to slow down and prepare for sleep. SO...those of us that felt sleepy after the event...there is a reason for that! Science is so cool!
    Dorrie-I don't think any one could blame you for taking a break from logging food or worrying about what you eat at this time. When you are ready, you will begin to focus on healthy habits again. Sending you lots of love and hugs!
    Tere- Good luck with the interview!
    Penny- So happy to see a post from you! I thought of you during the eclipse and wondered how it would look from the top of the world! Been missing hearing about your daily life. IMO, you live in a "magical" place. With things going on in nature, and events happening that most of us have never experienced! You, dear friend, are a lucky lady!
    Heather- Glad you made it home safely! Loving the pics! That building (with the two sentinels holding globes) was it a train station or a museum?! Just stunning architecture!
    Marcelyn- HOLY GRANDKIDS!!! That's a lot! LOL I see number 12 and 13. They were born about the same time as my Joaquin, and Olivia and Mia. Is the little one in back the older of the two?

Hugs and love to all of the rest. Kids arriving. Looks like it might be an indoor day, today. We have some sprinkling going on outside! ttfn xoxoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Oh Machka- I was just thinking about how you just seem to recover from something and now here comes the flu! I keep forgetting that it is winter aka cold and flu season where you are! Feel better soon!
  • Machka9
    edited August 2017
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Oh Machka- I was just thinking about how you just seem to recover from something and now here comes the flu! I keep forgetting that it is winter aka cold and flu season where you are! Feel better soon!

Yes ... we're tired of the cold and tired of colds. :neutral:

It has made the news ...
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-21/flu-influenza-why-2017-has-been-a-particularly-bad-year/8826512

Some of us are actually debating about going for a flu shot now, even though we're halfway through this ongoing flu/cold cycle. We're not sure if it is too late or if it would still be worth it. Some who had the flu shot earlier in the year are sick too, so who knows.

It's so bad that we got an email from the 4th floor basically saying that if anyone needs something from the departments that work up there, we'll just have to wait because there's no one there. Everyone's out sick. There are days I've walked into my area and it's been a ghost town.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    edited August 2017
    Machka hope you fully recover from flu soon.
  • Machka9
    Machka hope you fully recover from flu soon.

Thanks!

I'd love to take a couple days off this week, but I've already taken 4 days off during one of the earlier waves of this thing, and although I've got the sick leave, I don't really like taking so much of it at one time.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)<3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Just got back with the grandchildren. <3 They are in the "exercise room" with DH. Their favourite place!
    Hoping to make it to the zoo tomorrow, weather permitting.

Machka - Commiserations on the flu/cold. :o I have my jab scheduled for the 24th. DH never has one, but I prefer to. We haven't had an epidemic in quite a few years now.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx