WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »
    Machka: I so recommend Depo Provera shots during those pesky peri-menopausal years. I had virtually no symptoms!

My understanding is that Depo Provera is a hormone (progesterone?).

I am homozygous for a genetic mutation called methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) with high homocysteine levels.

This means that I have a greatly increased chance of developing blood clots, and I did end up in hospital with DVT for 2 weeks and was on Warfarin for a year. I'm off that now, but every time I fly, I need a series of clexane injections in my abdomen. The high homocysteine level in combination with MTHFR increases my chances of developing heart disease ... and blood clots. They kind of work together. And I already have two damaged heart valves from rheumatic fever as a child.

This particular genetic mutation also means my chances of carrying a child to term were really low.

Because of this thing, taking hormones, like HRT and birth control, has the potential of killing me. So much so that my gynaecologic oncologist told me that he wouldn't even consider putting me on any sort of hormone, not pills, not shots, not the mirena, not even creams.

I also need to get up and walk once an hour every day to keep the blood flowing. I even had to arrange to get up in the middle of one of my longer exams! This is one of the reasons I'm as active as I am.

But apparently there is something I can take if things get bad enough ... it is serotonin based. If things do get worse before November when I see my gynaecologic oncologist again, I'll probably ask him about that.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Sunny, hot and smoky from the BC fires. There is a warning for people crossing the pass at Wenatchee. Horses are out in the back pasture where there is more shade, but things are really dry and dusty out there.

I went to the cardiologist yesterday for an evaluation of enlarged aorta. Kind of mixed feelings. I lost another 1.2 pounds according to his scale but he started me on a new medication, a statin. I am not too excited about that. Don't really want to be on more meds and I have never had high cholesterol and don't now. He says the statin will keep the small amount of plaque that is in my coronary arteries in that range so it hopefully won't increase and cause future problems. Blood pressure is good.

Lisa - We all have to get to our healthy place in the best way we can. Sometimes that involves medication. I do not believe that shows any weakness on your part. I am with the others be kind to yourself and treat yourself like your best friend because you need to be.

Rori - So sorry you are going to miss out on the trip. It is hard to contemplate being a caregiver. Hope you can get things in place to make your life easier.

Katla - Stay cool. How are the horses at the stable doing in this heat?

Welcome back to Meg and Toni and welcome to all the newbies. Keep coming.

DJ - Wishing DD well, that had to be really scary.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA where it is getting uncomfortable to breathe if you are working outside.
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    All this talk of the eclipse reminded me to let you know that I live at the epicenter of the eclipse. Middle Tennessee is the place to be. We are expecting several thousand "watchers" to be in the area on the 21st. Any of you coming this way to see it?

Heather - your trip sounds wonderful. I am so glad you are getting to go to some new places. Have a wonderful time!

Newbies - welcome to our group! This is the place to get good support, info, and a love pat on your behind if you mess up. (Well the pat or kick is only if you want it.......)

Toni
    Focus
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Joyce – I’m not sure you could pay me enough to go where the total eclipse of the sun is supposed to be a full one for any period of time … maybe longer and far more expensive to make the trip for it. I’m sure it will be ‘cool’. I remember as a elementary or middle school student having a partial eclipse and we put a hole in a piece of cardboard and looked at it on a piece of white paper. It was obvious … but looking around you would not have known it other than maybe for a short period of time it looked like it was ‘overcast’ day. I’m sure a full eclipse will darken the area for a lot longer period of time. I’m sure at any given time of the year there is a full eclipse; but, this is probably the first that it will make a full pass over the entire lower 48. I’m sure it will be on the TV for days on end.

Barbie – Are y’all getting both a deck and a patio? Louis and I have a ‘Dream List’; we ‘dream up things we’d like to do around the house’ and occasionally we actually do something about it. Right now, I am beginning to think that the porch will be done 3 days after I leave Earth. The day the installers came to basically reinstall the stops that hold the double paned glass in, they broke the first one trying to remove the stop. I would have cut the caulking first; but, that is because that would have been what Louis would have done. They called the owner about it and he told them to measure them (again) and they would reorder them. I told the installer they needed to be measure in several places as they are not all ‘square’. He thanked me for telling me that and no 2 are the same size. They already have the dimensions on file (or should). Should have reordered them that day. Told it would be at least 2 weeks before they came in; and, both he and his wife … and Louis and I are going out-of-town, so it might be into September before they get done. I’m getting quite irritated about it all at this point. I want the room finished, so I can ‘enjoy it in my lifetime’.

Next, I’d like to ‘finish’ the kitchen. HOWEVER, when it comes to painting around here, I feel like the cobbler’s wife and children … we’re always at the bottom of the list. I paint; but, in a different medium. We’ve been her almost 17 years and he has painted it once since. He thinks if he waits long enough, I will change my mind. After 45 years together, you’d think he would ‘know’ better.

Beth – A Kind-sized bed is ‘almost’ square so the tag is at the bottom so you don’t put the sheets on ‘size-ways’. Or so I have been told. Also on patterned sheet sets you are supposed to put the top sheet on, pattern side down, so that when you ‘turn the bed back’ … the pattern shows.

Heather – One of my BFs from HS and her new man (actually been dating 3 years) have gone on at least 3 cruises since they started dating. Everybody keeps asking when they are going to get married, he put a ring on her finger about 18 months ago. He treats her like a ‘princess’. One hundred eighty degrees from her abusive alcoholic ‘ex’. I think she is ‘afraid’ of marriage at this point. They just got back from Egypt, said ‘security’ on their day trips was ‘tight’.

Hi Allie! We have had some thunderstorms in late evening hours, especially on the days that the temperature has been brutal.

Lenora
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of 'fail better'. Thanks for that. I am tired, headachy and wanting to go to bed (have to take dogs out first). Rushed in to work for a missing person 3 hours today so there was not time for lunch. GOOD--doctor's scale says 13 pounds gone. BAD--did not clean kitchen and repairman is coming tomorrow early. I promise to get up early and hide all my dirt. GOOD--toe is not broken, just stubbed. BAD--son wanted IHOP so we went there-I had a house salad-the only thing on menu for an acceptable calorie count. Okay-dog time and then to bed.
    Tidewater Virginia
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Pip - you get the award for today - riding to the dentist, 12 mph winds, 90 degrees - and I bet you have some smoky air if we are getting it down here. :#

Sue in WA
    - I agree, this smoke does make it hard to breathe - and kicks up allergies something fierce. Glad tomorrow is the last REAL hot day at least for us in SW WA. After that it looks like it will stay in the cool low to mid 90's. Also, I don't blame you for being suspicious of the statins. Hopefully they'll do the job without any side effects for you.

Weather update: the smoke seems to have mitigated the heat at our house a teensy bit. It did climb to 97+ mid afternoon, but has been steadily inching its way back down. We are so happy the A/C is performing well, knock wood. I saw a long range forecast for highs in the 70's next weekend.

Katla, I don't blame you for not wanting to climb into a hot car. I am postponing my grocery run until Saturday morning. B) Hope your DH's mobility scooter works great on your eclipse viewing adventure in a couple weeks!

That's the latest. Waiting for the sun to go behind the trees (at around 7) before I attempt to water the garden.

Weekend is just around the corner, ladies! <3

Lanette
    Hazy SW WA State
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for another new month of new beginnings.
    Lisa- I had tears
    in my eyes as I read your story. You are so wise to take time to evaluate where you've been and where you are going. There is no doubt that you will set a course for a healthy life and achieve it. Thank you for sharing.
    DJ - hope your daughter is ok. That was very scary.
    Lenora- sorry you won't be coming to Texas this trip. Maybe next year.
    Welcome to the newbies. We always enjoy new people coming in to chat.
    Meg-so good to hear from you again. You are in my thoughts.
    Allie- sorry for the your loss
    Heather - we did a Baltic cruis a few years ago and really enjoyed it. When we visited the Hermitage it was very hot and they had all the windows open. The painting were exposed to the heat and the sun light. We also had lunch at Catherine's summer palace. Lots of vodka was served. Lol.
    SueBDew inTX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Pip - you get the award for today - riding to the dentist, 12 mph winds, 90 degrees - and I bet you have some smoky air if we are getting it down here. :#

Sue in WA
    - I agree, this smoke does make it hard to breathe - and kicks up allergies something fierce. Glad tomorrow is the last REAL hot day at least for us in SW WA. After that it looks like it will stay in the cool low to mid 90's. Also, I don't blame you for being suspicious of the statins. Hopefully they'll do the job without any side effects for you.

Weather update: the smoke seems to have mitigated the heat at our house a teensy bit. It did climb to 97+ mid afternoon, but has been steadily inching its way back down. We are so happy the A/C is performing well, knock wood. I saw a long range forecast for highs in the 70's next weekend.

Katla, I don't blame you for not wanting to climb into a hot car. I am postponing my grocery run until Saturday morning. B) Hope your DH's mobility scooter works great on your eclipse viewing adventure in a couple weeks!

That's the latest. Waiting for the sun to go behind the trees (at around 7) before I attempt to water the garden.

Weekend is just around the corner, ladies! <3

Lanette
    Hazy SW WA State

yeah, skies were not clear
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of deep water today. The plan for tomorrow is to do some incline intervals (haven't done that in a while)

I'm a bit annoyed that Michael's still hasn't gotten the beads. I did call their home office yesterday, but they told me that I should call their corporate office today and they gave me the number. She asked if there was anything else she could do, and I just said "only if you can authorize that the beads be overnighted to me". Of course, she couldn't, but you can be sure I'll be contacting their home office later today!

Dorrie - welcome!

Margaret and Dana - I remember when I was little, I'd be in the living room watching Hogan's Heroes. My grandmother wouldn't even walk in the room. Now I understand. Even tho they were making fun of the nazi's, she had to leave her home and family to come to a strange country because of the nazi's.

katla - have fun at the eclipse. Jess is going out to Idaho on something like the 16th and Colby is going on the 18th. I sort-of don't understand. She's going without Colby and staying at his house? I guess she and his family have some sort of bond. I doubt it's anything major.

Needed more beads for these wine charms that I'm making to put in Denise's shower favors. Well, the store (Michael's) here in Hickory didn't have any more so they called the store in Moorseville who had 3. They were SUPPOSED to mail them to Hickory. I finally called their corporate headquarters and it seems they shipped them to Statesville. Since they can't guarantee when I'd get them, looks like tomorrow I'll be making a trip to Statesville (1/2 hr away). After exercise, I'm going to go to the house of the lady who is doing my alterations to get a sample of the material of my dress to show Denise when I go up there in 2 weeks. Really, my ulterior motive was to "remind" her that the dress needs alterations. I know Diane. She's a great seamstress, but she also does things at the last minute.

Went to ceramics tonight then to Lowe's foods

matchka - I had never heard of MTHFR. How interesting! You seem to be doing well.

Toni - I wish I could go see the eclipse. That's the weekend of Denise's bridal fitting and since Jess won't be around, it's mom to the rescue. I'll drive to Jess' on the 19th, spend the night there, go to PA for the fitting (I'm figuring to leave Jess' at around 8), come back to Jess', then I'm planning to leave her place to NC around 5 in the morning. I really don't want to be on the road during the eclipse. I just don't know how the other drivers will react.

Michele in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Barbie - I'm like you, I eat at regular times and stick to it like glue, apart from nibbling on a carrot or celery. But I still watch the clock all the time. :o Most of the time the system works very well, but when I am thrown off by outside circumstances it is very difficult and it makes me very cross. My DSIL has a very chaotic way of living/eating and I get quite frustrated around her. I usually resort to a protein bar on those occasions or I would have a hypo! I always have one in my handbag as I simply stop functioning otherwise. My DH is like a camel and could go on forever with one refuelling. :noway: When we first got together he had to learn, with difficulty, about my necessity to eat and drink at regular times. He simply couldn't understand it. I also need regular potty breaks, but now he is older he understands that better! :laugh:
    On the cruise we are able to eat at my regular times apart from a 45 minute delay in the evening. They do bring canapés to your room earlier and I was able to survive by just eating the protein topping and leaving the carbs. Last year I maintained my weight by lots of walking and swimming and operating a low carb diet. It was quite easy. I did drink at the evening meal more than was optimum and intend to be better this year. All drinks are included in the package. This year I intend to have more "mocktails". :D

Awake in the night again. Going back to bed now.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    matchka - I had never heard of MTHFR. How interesting! You seem to be doing well.

As it is a genetic mutation, I'm not sick with it or anything. I just have a list of things to do (or not do) ... :)

- no hormone therapies
    - no sitting for long periods
    - no flying without clexane
    - no nexium
    - must take high dose of folic acid
    - must take Vit B12 and magnesium
    - should take Vit D and fish oil
    - should go for heart tests every few years
    - should exercise lots
    - must notify all Drs and surgeons etc.

And it did answer the miscarriage question.

Machka in Oz
  • MartiB856
    MartiB856 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, after saying what your quilt will be made of, it will be exquisite. You better show us a picture. Will this be your quilt or will she keep it! And here I thought all these beautiful plants and flowers were yours!

Heather, I am so jealous. A 2 week Baltic cruise! Just WOW! I know you will share pictures. Just hope you don't get sick like you did on your last vacation. On the one cruise I went on we had one formal night. The rest was completely casual. And some women got pretty casual!

Dirtie, welcome to our group. Do they really have some of the cheapest food in Vegas?

Well it thundered today and I got so excited that aged was going to water my flowers for me. But just thunder and no rain. There is a 60% chance tomorrow. There is a good amount of grass under or should I sa through the straw now and the one plant I thought was just a shrub is getting sprouts and flowers on it now. One plant has some signs of bug activity on it and I have taken those leaves off. I don't know if I should do anything els. I ant pictures to the lansaping company and he said they should be ok. I guess I need to make a map of the garden with reference to how and when to prune.

Choir practice was good as usual, I think everyone was there ecept the one tenor who stands behind me and is off key. But he has been sick. Our director is trying real hard on a system to make sure we are out a lot sooner. We will all be much happier with that. It is supposed to start at 7 and end close to 8:10. Well it's more like 7:15 to 8:40. But she is writing all the songs in order of practice on a wipe off board and more people are getting there earlier and getting their music in order so we get out on time. Plus the preacher who is a tenor in the choir is try go to get Bible study and prayer meeting finished earlier so that everyone gets upstairs including himself.

Joyce, Indiana
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!

I am venting because I’m having an asthma episode. :# DH has pointed out to me that I’ve been in asthma crisis for at least two weeks. Today was pretty rough and even I can hear my chest rattling. I know I am blessed to not have any other ailments but this one makes up for it. Unfortunately, my asthma triggers are fragrances such as men’s cologne, acrylic nail fumes, cigar wrapping papers and they can send me straight to the hospital. I don’t attend church on holidays because one Easter Sunday, all the holiday attendees with their new colognes and clothes had me leaving church and going straight to the hospital. Can you imagine how stupid I felt when the doctor asked me if I knew what had triggered the attack and I had to tell him the people at church? I only had one episode that put me on the respirator during the past 13 years but that scared DH so badly that he watches over me like a hawk. One wheeze and he is ready to call the doctor. I am fortunate that I have a job where I can work from home lots of days with my nebulizer beside me.

Becca: Being an empty nester is a journey. It was ages before I stopped cooking way too much for just the two of us. We are watching our budget too and understand your joy in getting bargains. We still miss the boys stopping by for dinner though. It’s pretty cool the way your middle son had tea with you via messenger.

Michele: You are really going to be busy. At least you will be doing a lot of driving on the weekdays (unless I got confused). Please be careful and not just because of the eclipse. The last time I drove 95 from Rocky Mount to Richmond a deer ran out onto the highway in front of our car. It was right at dusk. Boy did I become alert then! I never thought a deer would run out on a major highway.

Speaking of deer, they seem to be running early this year. Coming home from DC Saturday night around 10 pm there was a deer standing in a neighbor’s yard. I had never seen them in our subdivision before.

Meg: Happy Birthday to your DH! My birthday is Saturday too! Always happy to see you. <3

Barbie: I thought I was the only one that watched a clock awaiting the time to eat! DH thought that was the funniest thing he ever witnessed me doing.

Heather: I have rather low blood pressure and blood sugar levels. If I don’t eat on time I have a horrible mood swing. The entire family is aware of it as they have been on the receiving end of my roar and tears. My mother calls it turning into the Incredible Hulk. If we are out on a whole day expedition somebody will ensure that I or they have a pack of Nabs or a protein bar in their pocket/purse just in case.

Hopefully my doctor will have some Prednisone at the pharmacy in the morning. I have a job interview on Monday which I want to be cleared up for.

Tere in RVA
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Allie- no wonder you are exhausted with everything you have going on. Take excellent care of yourself.

NY Karen "Strategy is stronger than willpower" Yes! I think I need to write out some Strategies.

@trulydivyn725 - No worries and not a thing to be sorry for. You are welcome to use any goal you like. You will find the ladies of this group to be an inspiring bunch.

Maritill - I am sorry for all you have been going through. I am praying this will be a year of good health for you.

Leigh - Great NSV, being able to operate those buttons! It is the little things that add up to a better life.

Katla - I am glad that the mobility scooter is letting your DH enjoy life again.

Lenora - Yes, my DH does occasionally paint houses now. He has painted houses, grain elevators, heavy equipment and the classic cars that he restores. He hates doing new construction. Now he tells them "If you want a quality job then I'm your man. If you want speed then you should get someone else" This last job he raised the price and told them it had to be cash because he really didn't want it. He got the job any way. I told him with the way his back is that it is okay to just refuse a job. He can't do that because it is not in his nature. I worry about the day he can no longer work because his self esteem is so tied to his work ethic.

My father was in WWII. He had some terrible nightmares. He didn't really talk too much about it until later in life. I do remember Mom telling me that they would be watching some documentary about the war and he would suddenly sit up and start telling her things about the place. He went to war in 1939 and came back in 1945. I have a tape that I made with him as he told my DH some stories. My brothers know more of his stories than I do as War wasn't a subject for girls and women. We asked why he was mentioned in the Queen's dispatches and he replied that was for eating his oatmeal. I do know that he killed more than one person and that haunted him horribly. My Mom's brother was always in the same unit. They were best friends.

The birth certificate remains in some elusive hiding spot. I guess DH is going to have to get a replacement.

Keira and Greysyn are coming tomorrow. Boss will be coming too. DD asked for a deposit of 25% and proof of lodging and it looks like everything will be a go. I would love to go to Big Valley. Not a big fan of Big and Rich but I would listen to Willie and who doesn't like Keith Urban? Not sure who else will be there.

Having a hard time getting anything accomplished around the house. Also need to get the trailer packed so we are ready to hit the road as soon as DD returns home. I'm glad that we are not trying to do the long weekend thing. Looking forward to camping with our friends . We had a blast last year. I am campaigning for Chico to stay behind with DD. Last year because Larry insisted on bringing Chico he ended up sitting in the truck with him while we did some activity. The point is for us to connect. I love Chico but don't feel the need to have him with us every minute of the day.

I am having a hard time giving 100% effort at work. I am so not proud of myself. I find myself constantly wishing not to be there. Feeling like a fraud.

-Sharon in Lethbridge where it is a bit cooler and did rain a bit more through the night.

P.S. Allergies and asthma are acting up due to the smoke.