Tried and True Zucchini

Options
Sara2652
Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
What are your tried and loved zucchini recipes?
The zucchini plant has been bountiful in true zucchini fashion.

So far I've...
  • sautéed it with thyme and rosemary-pretty good
  • baked lemon zucchini bread- pretty good but not helping me stay under my calorie budget.

I'm about to stuff and fry the blossoms...wish me luck! Also not going to help me with my calories. I think I'm doing this healthy eating thing wrong :#:D

Extra points if I can cook it and freeze it for later. Thanks!

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I used to love a zucchini tortellini gratin. And my former roommates grandma pickled zucchini (like you would do cucumbers). Those were the best thing ever!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I add it to pasta sauce. You can freeze the zucchini whole then chop it and add to the sauce later. It gets soft after thawing but that's ok for putting in sauce. This adds bulk and nutrition with low cal.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Zoats
    Zucchini protein pancakes
    ... Pretty much added to anything. Bolognese sauce, omelettes, roasted chunks,
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm a purist - slice it super thin, toss with olive oil or melted duck fat, salt and pepper, and roast (or grill) until it starts to char. I could eat it every night!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Zucchini slice
    INGREDIENTS• 2 zucchini, grated
    • 1 large onion finely chopped
    • 3 rashers bacon finely chopped
    • 1 cup tasty cheese grated
    • 1 cup self-raising flour
    • ½ cup of oil
    • 5 eggs
    • salt/pepper

1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line a non-stick lamington tin.

2. Combine zucchini, onion, bacon, flour and cheese in a large bowl. Add oil and lightly beaten eggs, and mix. Season with a little salt and pepper. Pour into lamington tin.

3. Bake for 35-40 mins until golden and set. Allow to cool slightly before cutting.

Note: the vegetables can be substituted or added to – try corn kernels, grated carrot, shallots, shredded beans, and leave out the bacon for a vegetarian version.

Freezes really well. I like a little more bacon in mine and cheese needs to be a good tasty one.
    It's great with a side salad
  • Luvz2cook4u
    Luvz2cook4u Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make Zucchini Linguine all the time for my family & at my cooking classes!

INGREDIENTS
    3-4 zucchini
    1/2 cup marinara sauce
    1 garlic clove

DIRECTIONS
    Use the Julienne Peeler to cut zucchini into thin "noodles" . Or, grate zucchini into long strips with Veggie Strip Maker, being careful to avoid seeds. Add zucchini to Rockcrok® using Chef’s Tongs. Add marinara sauce and garlic pressed with Garlic Press. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 4 minutes. Stir.

I often add grilled shrimp or chicken for added protein. Deliciousness!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation right now. I've shredded it and added to meatloaf. I chop it into 1/2" slices, salt each side for 30 minutes, rinse, coat with olive oil and grill on skewers. I either serve this with kabobs and rice or grilled meatballs and spaghetti. Slice thinly and stir fry with other veggies and some leftover meat with teriyaki sauce. I slice thinly and put on pizza. I'm thinking of trying some zucchini bread too.
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Cut it into chunks, throw it into a pan with a little cooking spray or olive oil, some sliced peppers, diced onions, and a little garlic. Saute until tender-crisp. I like to add a sprinkle of parmesan during the last minute or so of cooking. Delicious!
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I like to use a spiraliser to make courgetti (courgette spaghetti, as I type this I think I'm the only one here who calls them courgettes!). I cook off some meatballs (I like Quorn swedish style but anything goes) then remove them from the pan. Cook off some onions then add the courgette when the onions are translucent. Whilst the vegetables soften I mix chopped tomatoes, garlic and honey together (any tomato sauce works but I like to know exactly what's in mine) then add the tomatoes to the pan to heat up and stir through the meatballs at the end
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    since it's summer grilling season (9 days out of 10, anyway), i've been doing basic grilling (evoo, gran garlic, S&P) on my veggie grill plate or including it with other veg in foil packets. Both zucchini and yellow squash, while they're plentiful and fresh.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Don't know how many calories, but zucchini tots. Should be able to find a good recipe online.
  • chellez790
    chellez790 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a vegetti tool that makes noodles from vegetables and last weekend I made stir-fry and did zucchini noodles. They came out great! Or if you have a foreman grill, slice them up and grill them. Zucchini is an awesome veggie!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Saute it with sausage. Cut into thick slices, season and grill it. Dice and add to pasta sauce. Add it to a stir fry.

It freezes well so you can also freeze it for cooking later when it's not in season. It also makes great pickles.
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Zucchini pizzas! Use sliced zucchinis as the "crust", pop them in a skillet until golden brown, add sauce, cheese, toppings and broil until melty. Yummm

Chocolate chip zucchini bread is delicious and freezes well.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just got the spiralizer to make the zoodles! So much fun....okay...i'm easily entertained :) Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • ona1990
    ona1990 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Like mentioned above. Zoodles and zucchini boats. I like the boats because you can put a pizza or taco spin on it!